AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 8700/1 - 18 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Watch this thread
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 8700/1 - 18 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Wednesday 18th May AM
Length: 1h45

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
Last edited by Mythical Pingu; 3 weeks ago
Kai-issa
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Not gonna lie but I've been out of English for 3 months tha and need help understanding what the paper is and what it's about and what do I need to studdie on please
Sxxhar__
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Kai-issa)
Not gonna lie but I've been out of English for 3 months tha and need help understanding what the paper is and what it's about and what do I need to studdie on please
there is 2 sections: section A and B. Go to mrbruff on youtube, there are videos on every question!
selena.
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Do you guys think theres any chance of being two descriptive writing questions
cause im relying on it being a narrative :/
Last edited by selena.; 1 day ago
selena.
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Sxxhar__)
there is 2 sections: section A and B. Go to mrbruff on youtube, there are videos on every question!
yessss and i suggest mr everything english
hi2020
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Can someone mark my creative writing for question 5,
LAKE
Glowing softly, the twilight sun caresses the horizon, its tapered cerise-pink ribbons spilling from its seraphic vault. Shining and shimmering, the pastel beams anoint the lake like warm honey, a signal for the multitudes of wildlife to explode from their cozy burrows. A battalion of flies - moist in the morning’s dew - murmur gently above the tufty reeds surrounding the azure pool, their silky wings a-blur in their zealous motions.

Multitudes of pretty flowers - peonies, daisies and lavender - draft and swirl their ambrosial perfumes into the heavenly atmosphere. In solemn stillness, the lapis–lazuli-blue ponds glazed surface embeds the peaks of the surrounding verdant hills onto itself, turning it into a portal of mystique.

A sudden wave of mist hovers over the lake, blocking the sight of the lanky fisherman, reeling his fishing line into the fathomless bowels of the lake. The distant kerplunking of colour-freckled fish tease and taunt him as he waits patiently for a gift of the lakes succulent bounty. A sudden tug of the line awakes him, and he pulls desperately; a large phantom-grey fish erupts from beyond the lakes surface, causing his heart to tap ferociously. The fish of his livelihood, he thinks to himself.

Tugging on the weakened fishing line with all his force, the fish plunks onto the emerald grass beside the lake, and the mans mouth quivers into a line of glee. Laughing, he prances home, the slimy fish wagging in his arms excited grasp.
hi2020
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Can someone mark my Q3 Please <3

The exposition immediately draws the focus in on a “A Ford motor-van” that has “Jos. Hartop, greengrocer, rabbits’” written onto it; although the reader is yet to find out who its for and the context, it can be suggested that this van is of importance and makes a vital part of the not yet introduced characters lives. The writer then cinematically shifts the notion of the “old and re-painted” van to the “Rain” and “half-darkness” setting, invoking the sense that this van constantly sees difficult weather conditions, although its rundown dilapidated self, implying that the owners of this van are perhaps poor, and that this van is an important part of their livelihood. The fact that the characters are yet to be introduced invites the sense of mystery and curiosity, allowing the reader to speculate about them.

Furthermore, the first sentence of the next paragraph, which introduces the family, only describes hartop, and hartop alone : “Hartop was driving” this suggests that perhaps hartop is the most important member of this family, which may connote that the Hartops have an internal family hierarchy, with Hartop at the top. This is emphaisied when the focus is shifted to the collective description of both his “wife and his daughter” suggesting their inferiority in comparison to him. This effect may create sympathy for his wife and daughter invitng the reader to build an odium for mr Hartop, as this shift may suggest that he looks down on his daughter and wife, however for other readers who were aware of the gender divide in the 1930s this effect may be more neutral.
mysticalstar
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 hours ago
hey guys do you have any tips on how to answer questions 2 and 3 on the paper if anyone has any advice please can i have some tips

thank you
Kaydavies
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 minute ago
I found Mr Everything English technique very helpful as a guide to answer these question…PointReference TechniqueExplainZoom inExplainLink To remember the technique you pronounce this abbreviation as PRETZEL even though the order of spelling is different so remember it’s in this order PRTEZEL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (120)
41.96%
Not yet, but I will soon (53)
18.53%
No (113)
39.51%

Watched Threads