The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 8700/1 - 18 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 8700/1 - 18 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Wednesday 18th May AM
Length: 1h45

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not gonna lie but I've been out of English for 3 months tha and need help understanding what the paper is and what it's about and what do I need to studdie on please
Original post by Kai-issa
Not gonna lie but I've been out of English for 3 months tha and need help understanding what the paper is and what it's about and what do I need to studdie on please

there is 2 sections: section A and B. Go to mrbruff on youtube, there are videos on every question!
Reply 3
Do you guys think theres any chance of being two descriptive writing questions
cause im relying on it being a narrative :/
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sxxhar__
there is 2 sections: section A and B. Go to mrbruff on youtube, there are videos on every question!

yessss and i suggest mr everything english :smile:
Reply 5
Can someone mark my creative writing for question 5,
LAKE
Glowing softly, the twilight sun caresses the horizon, its tapered cerise-pink ribbons spilling from its seraphic vault. Shining and shimmering, the pastel beams anoint the lake like warm honey, a signal for the multitudes of wildlife to explode from their cozy burrows. A battalion of flies - moist in the morning’s dew - murmur gently above the tufty reeds surrounding the azure pool, their silky wings a-blur in their zealous motions.

Multitudes of pretty flowers - peonies, daisies and lavender - draft and swirl their ambrosial perfumes into the heavenly atmosphere. In solemn stillness, the lapis–lazuli-blue ponds glazed surface embeds the peaks of the surrounding verdant hills onto itself, turning it into a portal of mystique.

A sudden wave of mist hovers over the lake, blocking the sight of the lanky fisherman, reeling his fishing line into the fathomless bowels of the lake. The distant kerplunking of colour-freckled fish tease and taunt him as he waits patiently for a gift of the lakes succulent bounty. A sudden tug of the line awakes him, and he pulls desperately; a large phantom-grey fish erupts from beyond the lakes surface, causing his heart to tap ferociously. The fish of his livelihood, he thinks to himself.

Tugging on the weakened fishing line with all his force, the fish plunks onto the emerald grass beside the lake, and the mans mouth quivers into a line of glee. Laughing, he prances home, the slimy fish wagging in his arms excited grasp.
Reply 6
Can someone mark my Q3 Please :smile: <3

The exposition immediately draws the focus in on a “A Ford motor-van” that has “Jos. Hartop, greengrocer, rabbits’” written onto it; although the reader is yet to find out who its for and the context, it can be suggested that this van is of importance and makes a vital part of the not yet introduced characters lives. The writer then cinematically shifts the notion of the “old and re-painted” van to the “Rain” and “half-darkness” setting, invoking the sense that this van constantly sees difficult weather conditions, although its rundown dilapidated self, implying that the owners of this van are perhaps poor, and that this van is an important part of their livelihood. The fact that the characters are yet to be introduced invites the sense of mystery and curiosity, allowing the reader to speculate about them.

Furthermore, the first sentence of the next paragraph, which introduces the family, only describes hartop, and hartop alone : “Hartop was driving” this suggests that perhaps hartop is the most important member of this family, which may connote that the Hartops have an internal family hierarchy, with Hartop at the top. This is emphaisied when the focus is shifted to the collective description of both his “wife and his daughter” suggesting their inferiority in comparison to him. This effect may create sympathy for his wife and daughter invitng the reader to build an odium for mr Hartop, as this shift may suggest that he looks down on his daughter and wife, however for other readers who were aware of the gender divide in the 1930s this effect may be more neutral.
hey guys do you have any tips on how to answer questions 2 and 3 on the paper if anyone has any advice please can i have some tips

thank you
I found Mr Everything English technique very helpful as a guide to answer these question…PointReference TechniqueExplainZoom inExplainLink To remember the technique you pronounce this abbreviation as PRETZEL even though the order of spelling is different so remember it’s in this order PRTEZEL
Original post by hi2020
Can someone mark my Q3 Please :smile: <3

The exposition immediately draws the focus in on a “A Ford motor-van” that has “Jos. Hartop, greengrocer, rabbits’” written onto it; although the reader is yet to find out who its for and the context, it can be suggested that this van is of importance and makes a vital part of the not yet introduced characters lives. The writer then cinematically shifts the notion of the “old and re-painted” van to the “Rain” and “half-darkness” setting, invoking the sense that this van constantly sees difficult weather conditions, although its rundown dilapidated self, implying that the owners of this van are perhaps poor, and that this van is an important part of their livelihood. The fact that the characters are yet to be introduced invites the sense of mystery and curiosity, allowing the reader to speculate about them.

Furthermore, the first sentence of the next paragraph, which introduces the family, only describes hartop, and hartop alone : “Hartop was driving” this suggests that perhaps hartop is the most important member of this family, which may connote that the Hartops have an internal family hierarchy, with Hartop at the top. This is emphaisied when the focus is shifted to the collective description of both his “wife and his daughter” suggesting their inferiority in comparison to him. This effect may create sympathy for his wife and daughter invitng the reader to build an odium for mr Hartop, as this shift may suggest that he looks down on his daughter and wife, however for other readers who were aware of the gender divide in the 1930s this effect may be more neutral.

Based on the mark scheme of this paper (https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2019/june/AQA-87001-W-MS-JUN19.PDF) I would personally say it is a top band answer (7-8 marks) although you may want to talk about other structural techniques to maybe cover more ground. Also I’m not to sure about the use of the word “invoking” in the 5th line. Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t the better word be “evoking” I think? Hope this helps and good luck for tomorrow =D
General tips:
I'll be doing the paper backwards because that's what worked for me in my mocks. I struggle with timing so it helps starting with section b bc i'm better at narrative writing stuff. Then I'll be doing q1 then q4 then q 2 and 3. You can obviously start with section A if you want but yh
Watch mr.salles, I find him really helpful
For creative try and prepare some fancy vocab you're going to plug in and maybe a few lines of description too
For Q4 do Opinion Reason Evidence Explain Link/conclude
Try and split the statement into 2 parts and partially agree or disagree
For Q3 look at the text as beginning middle end or beginning and end - don't spend too long, it's only 8 marks
Q2 always give alternative interpretation and just- waffle lol- talk about the keyword and what picture it portrays and the writer's intention
Original post by mysticalstar
hey guys do you have any tips on how to answer questions 2 and 3 on the paper if anyone has any advice please can i have some tips

thank you

My English teacher gave us a PowerPoint on how to answer all the questions
Question 2 Notes:
This should also be an easy question to answer, as it focuses on language analysis, which is what you have done with every text that you’ve studied since arriving at school!
This question focuses on AO2:
Explain, comment on and analyse how writers use language and structure to achieve effects and influence readers, using relevant subject terminology to support their views.
Note that, while AO2 includes structure, you need to focus ONLY on word choice/phrases/language features/language techniques/sentence forms. Structure is the focus of question 3.

This is NOT an essay! You do not need an introduction, nor a conclusion. Everything you write should focus on the question.
Put the insert to one side you don’t need it; all answers must come from the boxed extract in the question.
Highlight the key phrase in the question that tells you what aspect of the extract you should be looking for.
Read the boxed extract, highlighting any areas containing RELEVANT language techniques.
Construct two paragraphs, examining two aspects in each paragraph in detail.
The quality of your writing will determine your mark, not the quantity of it!
You should aim to answer this question in 10 12 minutes.

Question 3 Notes:
This question focuses on AO2:
Explain, comment on and analyse how writers use language and structure to achieve effects and influence readers, using relevant subject terminology to support their views.
Note that, while AO2 includes language analysis, you need to focus ONLY on structural techniques/sentence forms. Language analysis is the focus of question 2.

This is NOT an essay! You do not need an introduction, nor a conclusion. Everything you write should focus on the question.
Note that you now need to read the WHOLE insert; there is no reason to do this prior to this question.
The format of the question is always the same the question will always ask about “How has the writer structured the text to interest you as a reader?”.
Read the whole insert, highlighting any areas containing structural techniques.
Construct two good-quality paragraphs, examining two aspects in each paragraph in detail.
The quality of your writing will determine your mark, not the quantity of it!
You should aim to answer this question in 8 10 minutes.

I know that they are quite similar but just remember the structure, make a point, use quotations and explain the quotations you have used and most importantly, answer the question. Hope this helps and good luck for tomorrow =D
ahh i’m so scared, i’m trying to get a 7 in english language😭😭
Original post by mysticalstar

thank you

Question 2 is language analysis PEE and what it makes the reader feel you can talk about how the sentences are structured too if it asks.
explain and analyse how the writer uses language for a particular purpose.

Question 3 analyse how the whole extract is structured, is there a circular narrative? first person? and what does this show abt the characters' perspectives and feelings?
I hope this helps
Good luck tomorrow!!!
Hi! I have a english language gcse tomorrow and Im really stuck on plot lines or story lines I could use for my 40 marker at the end, can people please drop down ideas?? Or general advice for english language, thank u!!
Original post by JheneSoriano
Hi! I have a english language gcse tomorrow and Im really stuck on plot lines or story lines I could use for my 40 marker at the end, can people please drop down ideas?? Or general advice for english language, thank u!!

heyyy i would say pre plan a character description and setting that you can always use but for the plot you dont know what they will ask so just prep what you can! ive got it tomorrow too, good luck you'll smash it

I’ve like memorised a story that can be fitted to any storyline
Original post by fhjskssskbwhhw
I’ve like memorised a story that can be fitted to any storyline

ahh thats a really good idea
Heya! I've got mine tomorrow too, I'm sticking to an idea where it's largely focusing on a description then ending it off with a bit of a narrative - for example - Description of the beach scenery, and then looking across and seeing that the old swing your friends used to play on is still there on the promenade.

What exam board are you with?

Quick Reply