(o)

Spoiler

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

Reply 262
STEP III, Question 13:

Recall that G(t)=k0P(X=k)tkG(t) = \sum_{k\geqslant 0} \mathbb{P}(X = k) t^{k} so that

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}G(1) + G(-1) & = \sum_{k \geqslant 0} \left(\mathbb{P}(X = k) + (-1)^k \mathbb{P}(X=k)\right) \\ & = 2\sum_{k \geqslant 0, \, k \, \mathrm{even}} \mathbb{P}(X=k) + \sum_{k \geqslant 0, \, k \, \mathrm{odd}} \left(\mathbb{P}(X=k) - \mathbb{P}(X=k) \right) = 2 \sum_{k \geqslant 0} \mathbb{P}(X=2k)\end{align*}

as required. If XX is Poisson, with parameter λ\lambda then we have

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}G(t) = \sum_{k \geqslant 0} e^{-\lambda} \frac{\lambda^k}{k!} t^k = e^{-\lambda} \sum_{k \geqslant 0} \frac{(\lambda t)^k}{k!} = e^{-\lambda} e^{\lambda t} = e^{-\lambda(1-t)} \end{equation*}

i) We first find kk:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\sum_{r \geqslant 0} \mathbb{P}(Y=r) = k \sum_{r \geqslant 0} \mathbb{P}(X=2r) = \frac{k}{2} (G(1) + G(-1)) = \frac{k}{2}(1+ e^{-2\lambda}) = 1\end{equation*}

so that k=2eλeλ+eλ=eλcoshλk = \frac{2e^{\lambda}}{e^{\lambda} + e^{-\lambda}} = \frac{e^{\lambda}}{\cosh \lambda}. Then the PGF of YY is

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}H(t) = \frac{1}{\cosh \lambda}\sum_{r \geqslant 0} e^{\lambda}t^{2r} \mathbb{P}(X=2r) = \frac{1}{\cosh \lambda}\sum_{r \geqslant 0 } \frac{(\lambda t)^{2r}}{(2r)!} = \frac{\cosh \lambda t}{\cosh \lambda}\end{equation*}

Moreover, we have E(Y)=H(1)=λsinhλcoshλ=λtanhλ<λ\displaystyle \mathbb{E}(Y) = H'(1) = \frac{\lambda \sinh \lambda}{\cosh \lambda} = \lambda \tanh \lambda < \lambda as tanh(0,1)\tanh \in (0,1) for λ>0\lambda > 0.

ii) Note that G(1)+G(1)+G(i)+G(i)=4P(X=0,4,8,12,)G(1) + G(-1) + G(i) + G(-i) = 4\mathbb{P}(X = 0,4,8, 12, \ldots) and so we have

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\sum_{r \geqslant 0} \mathbb{P}(Z=r) = c\sum_{r \geqslant 0} \mathbb{P}(X=4r) = \frac{c}{4}(G(1) + G(-1) + G(i) + G(-i) = \frac{ce^{-\lambda}}{2}\left(\cos \lambda + \cosh \lambda \right) = 1 \end{equation*}

Hence, we then have the PGF of ZZ as

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}R(t) = \frac{2e^{\lambda}}{\cos \lambda + \cosh \lambda}\sum_{r \geqslant 0}e^{-\lambda} \frac{(\lambda t)^{4r}}{(4r)!} = \frac{\cos \lambda t + \cosh \lambda t}{\cos \lambda + \cosh \lambda } \Rightarrow \mathbb{E}(Z) = R'(1) = \lambda \frac{\sinh \lambda - \sin \lambda}{\cos \lambda + \cosh \lambda} \end{equation*}

which is not always <λ< \lambda, for example, by taking λ=π\lambda = \pi.
(edited 5 years ago)
SIII, Q3.

We have xa(xb(xcy))=xa+b+cy’’+(b+2c)xa+b+c1y+c(b+c1)xa+b+c2y. x^a(x^b(x^cy)’)’ = x^{a+b+c}y’’ + (b+2c)x^{a+b+c-1}y’ + c(b+c-1)x^{a+b+c-2}y. So to match with the given ODE, we require
(I) a+b+c=2 a+b+c = 2
(II) b+2c=12pb+2c = 1-2p
(III) c(b+c1)=p2q2c(b+c-1) = p^2-q^2.
We need to find a,b,ca,b,c to show this is possible. Note that (II) gives b=12p2cb = 1-2p - 2c and substitution into (III) gives c(c2p)=p2q2c(-c-2p) = p^2-q^2 , which after some rearranging becomes (c+p)2=q2 (c+p)^2 = q^2 , i.e. c=p±q. c = -p \pm q.

Substitution of this into (II) gives b=12q b = 1\mp 2q and then substitution into (I) gives a=1+p±q. a = 1+p \pm q.

(i) Here we want to solve the ODE when f0.f\equiv 0. Write the ODE in the form xa(xb(xcy))=0 x^a(x^b(x^cy)’)’ = 0 , i.e. (xb(xcy))=0.(x^b(x^cy)’)’ = 0. Integrating up gives xb(xcy)=A x^b(x^c y)’ = A for some constant A A , and so (xcy)=Axb. (x^c y)’ = Ax^{-b}. Now if b1 b\neq 1 we can integrate this to get xcy=A~x1b+B x^cy = \tilde{A} x^{1-b} + B for some constants A~,B\tilde{A},B and thus we get the solution of y=A~x1bc+Bxc y = \tilde{A} x^{1-b-c} + Bx^{-c} .

Looking at our expressions for b,cb,c we see that this is exactly y=Axp+q+Bxpq y= A x^{p+q} + Bx^{p-q} for some constants A,B A,B regardless of what sign we chose for qq in the expression for cc.

Finally, if b=1 b = 1 , i.e. q=0 q = 0 , then we integrate up to get a ln(x)\ln(x) instead, and so the solution is y=Axpln(x)+Bxpy = Ax^p \ln(x) + Bx^p .

(ii) In this case we have f(x)=xn f(x) = x^n and q=0q =0 . So a=1+p, b=1, c=p.a = 1+p,\ b = 1,\ c = -p. Thus we have (x(xpy))=xnp1.(x(x^{-p}y)’)’ = x^{n-p-1}.

So provided npn\neq p we can integrate to get x(xpy)=xnpnp+Bx(x^{-p}y)’ = \frac{x^{n-p}}{n-p} + B for some constant BB . Dividing by x x gives (xpy)=xnp1np+Bx1(x^{-p}y)’ = \frac{x^{n-p-1}}{n-p} + Bx^{-1} . So once again, provided np n \neq p we can integrate again to find the general solution to be (after dividing by xp x^{-p})

y=xn(np)2+Bxpln(x)+Cxp. y = \frac{x^{n}}{(n-p)^2} + Bx^p\ln(x) + Cx^p.

Finally, if n=p n = p then we have (x(xpy))=x1 (x(x^{-p}y)’)’ = x^{-1} and so we get (xpy)=ln(x)x+Bx1 (x^{-p}y)’ = \frac{\ln(x)}{x} + Bx^{-1}. Noticing that the first term is just the derivative of 12(ln(x))2\frac{1}{2}(\ln(x))^2 , we can integrate again to find that the general solution is y=12(ln(x))2+Bxpln(x)+Cxp y = \frac{1}{2}(\ln(x))^2 + Bx^p\ln(x) + Cx^p.

Note: The ODE in (i) is just the homogeneous equation from that in (ii) (with q=0 q =0 ). So we expect that the solutions only differ by a particular solution, which is what we see.
SIII Q12.

Spoiler

I always find it amazing how simple some of these probability questions can be once you write down the probabilities. They essentially become an easier version of a ‘Pure’ question. I would definitely recommend more people to look at them.
Reply 265
STEP III Q4 :tongue:
SIII Q9.

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

Thoughts:

Spoiler

SIII Q11.

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
SIII Q10.

Spoiler

Thoughts:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by carpetguy
I'll start assuming the first result was reached and the midpoint of the two meeting points was shown to be at PP.
So we have the equation of the tangent to the hyperbola at PP is bxaysinθ=abcosθbx - ay\sin\theta = ab\cos\theta and by similarities we reach the tangent at QQ being bxaysinϕ=abcosϕbx - ay\sin\phi = ab\cos\phi.

From the perpendicular requirement, basinθ×basinϕ=1\frac{b}{a\sin\theta} \times \frac{b}{a\sin\phi} = -1
b2=a2sinθsinϕ\therefore b^2 = -a^2\sin\theta\sin\phi

Subtracting the two tangent equations from each other and rearranging:
y=b(cosϕcosθ)sinθsinϕ=a2sinθsinϕ(cosϕcosθ)sinθsinϕ[br]y = \frac{b\,(\cos\phi \,-\, \cos\theta)}{\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi} = \frac{\sqrt{-a^2\sin\theta\sin\phi}\,(\cos \phi \,-\, \cos\theta)}{\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi}[br]

Multiplying the tangent equation for PP by sinϕ\sin\phi and the tangent equation for QQ by sinθ\sin\theta, subtracting the two new equations and rearranging:
x=a(cosϕsinθcosθsinϕ)sinθsinϕx = \frac{a\,(\cos\phi\sin\theta \,-\, \cos\theta\sin\phi)}{\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi}

x2+y2=a2(sinθsinϕ)2{(cosϕsinθcosθsinϕ)2sinθsinϕ(cosϕcosθ)2}\therefore x^2 + y^2 = \frac{a^2}{(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)^2}\,\{(\cos\phi \sin \theta \,-\, \cos\theta\sin\phi)^2 \,- \, \sin\theta\sin\phi\,(\cos\phi \,-\, \cos\theta)^2 \}

Now yeah that does look ugly, but you can see that the 2cosϕcosθsinϕsinθ-2\cos\phi\cos\theta\sin\phi\sin \theta term is generated from both squares and is cancelled out - so inside the big bracket you're left with:
cos2ϕsin2θ+cos2θsin2ϕsinθsinϕcos2ϕsinθsinϕcos2θ\cos^2\phi\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta\sin^2\phi - \sin\theta\sin\phi\cos^2\phi - \sin\theta\sin\phi\cos^2\theta

Note that this can be factorised to:
(sinθsinϕ)(cos2ϕsinθcos2θsinϕ)(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)(\cos^2\phi\sin\theta \,-\, \cos^2\theta\sin\phi)

and so x2+y2=a2(sinθsinϕ)(cos2ϕsinθcos2θsinϕ)x^2 + y^2 = \frac{a^2}{(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)}\,(\cos^2\phi\sin \theta \,-\, \cos^2\theta\sin\phi)

Apply trig Pythagoras' and this becomes a2(sinθsinϕ)(sinθsinϕ+sin2θsinϕsin2ϕsinθ)\frac{a^2}{(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)}\,(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi \,+\, \sin^2\theta\sin \phi \,-\, \sin^2\phi\sin \theta)

x2+y2=a2(sinθsinϕ)(sinθsinϕ)(1+sinθsinϕ)\therefore x^2 + y^2 = \frac{a^2}{(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)}\,(\sin\theta \,-\, \sin\phi)(1 + \sin\theta\sin\phi)

=a2+a2sinθsinϕ=a2b2= a^2 + a^2\sin\theta\sin\phi = a^2 - b^2

Phew! You could probably introduce some shorthand or something if you wanted to save on the writing but that's pretty much a slog.

Bumping as a full solution.

Oh wait @Garjun's is full as well. I didn't notice the other pages.
Oh well.

Step III Q4 btw. The original post had some more info in it. I also put together what I thought the question was since the paper wasn't uploaded yet.
(edited 5 years ago)
The OP has been edited to include the remaining solutions.
STEP 2 Question 12 alternate solution. I'm a little bit rusty so hopefully no mistakes but let me know if there are. I think this is different enough to a solution that was given earlier.

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

The fact that you sat it early and didn't learnt all the relevant material is squarely on you, universities won't care - if you sat the exam, they (or at least Cambridge) presume that you were ready for it and treat you as such. I don't know how Oxford works, but it would certainly detract from a Cambridge application.

Haha funny thing is I'm only now noticing your the same person as from the forum about the STEP day! You responded to another one of my messages over there! And btw I DID get a 2 in the paper last year and I DID apply to Cambridge for maths at Kings and I got an offer!
In part (iv), when resolving the inequality don't you have to allow β=1\beta = 1, giving u = v = 1 and maximum value 3?
Original post by DFranklin
Note that:

Spoiler

Quick question, do you know if every Imperial offer requires STEP or only some?
Original post by oscar.garcia.v
Quick question, do you know if every Imperial offer requires STEP or only some?

some
no need to expand out brackets you have a^2x = x(b-x)^2. You subtract x(b-x)^2 from both sides giving a^2x - x(b-x)^2 = 0 then factorise x to give x(a^2 - (b-x)^2) = 0. You are then left with either x = 0 or a^2 - (b-x)^2 =0 and thus a = b-x or -a= b-x and this x = b a or x = b-a.
Original post by username3555092
Step 2 question 2 (if there are mistakes let me know)

I might do the sketch for the stem of the question later if I'm feeling it. Edit: sketch is here, and thank you @A02 for making a suggestion which reduces workload in part i.

Sketch:

Spoiler

Commentary on the sketch:

Spoiler

For this question how do people know which values of t,u and v to pick
Original post by lillylove123
For this question how do people know which values of t,u and v to pick

Which part of the question are you talking about? u and v are only mentioned in part (i) of the question, and you need to prove the result for all possible values of them, so you can't pick them.

[I suspect you are talking about variables used in some specific solution/workings that you're looking at, but if so, you need to provide those workings].

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending