The Student Room Group

Help! Medicine at Oxford, requirements?

My name is Manolis and I live in Finland. This fall I’ll start my first year in the IBDP, although we have something called pre-IB in Finland where one is acquainted with the programme for one year. The idea is to give the students a chance to try the programme and then let one decide whether one whishes to proceed, which in my opinion is rather smart giving us a year to prepare and acquire useful knowledge about the subjects we will choose as well as the teaching system of IB. Anyhow, I have done very well this first year obtaining more 10s than 9s and especially in the very subjects I’m choosing for next year ie. this fall.

Currently, I have chosen HL math, chemistry, physics, and biology, as well as SL Swedish, English, and German. My concerns lay in the HLs and having seven subjects. Time is not a problem for me as I’m a devoted student who doesn’t mind giving up time for school, but here’s the thing. Having in mind that I am aiming at Oxford, and their requirements to apply for medicine are as follows:
IB: 39 (including core points) with 766 at HL. Candidates are required to take Chemistry*and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics*to Higher Level.

Do you think three out of four of their suggested subjects at HL would be sufficient? I am not entirely sure I would be able to ace all four subjects, because it is as a matter of fact the hardest you can choose. The sciences are notorious for the amount of material they offer. Reaching out to someone with experience in applying to Oxford, am I still in the safe zone if I were to drop physics totally? Frankly speaking, it’s the subject I am the least interested in although I do find certain branches fascinating, but I am definitely more engaged when it comes to chemistry, biology, and math. I believe I would be able to score higher in those three subjects, and presumably even higher without the pressure of having physics as well, but I am not sure how that would affect my plans on going to Oxford.

Another thing I have been thinking about is that Oxford consists of multiple colleges, and the requirements I found were more general that didn’t link to any specific college. Does anyone know if the different colleges (for medicine) have own requiremens and if the ones I found were more of an average of all, or do all colleges follow the same requirements?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am so grateful for your help, and please give me suggestions if my subjects seem inappropriate.
Original post by Mano Gustavsson

I have limited familiarity with the IB but i would suggest that if they wanted 4 specific subjects they would ask for it.

More important is BMAT and interview.

Another thing I have been thinking about is that Oxford consists of multiple colleges, and the requirements I found were more general that didn’t link to any specific college. Does anyone know if the different colleges (for medicine) have own requiremens and if the ones I found were more of an average of all, or do all colleges follow the same requirements?

No requirements are centralised. Colleges are just where you live and have your tutorials (with other teaching also being centralised).
Original post by Mano Gustavsson
My name is Manolis and I live in Finland. This fall I’ll start my first year in the IBDP, although we have something called pre-IB in Finland where one is acquainted with the programme for one year. The idea is to give the students a chance to try the programme and then let one decide whether one whishes to proceed, which in my opinion is rather smart giving us a year to prepare and acquire useful knowledge about the subjects we will choose as well as the teaching system of IB. Anyhow, I have done very well this first year obtaining more 10s than 9s and especially in the very subjects I’m choosing for next year ie. this fall.

Currently, I have chosen HL math, chemistry, physics, and biology, as well as SL Swedish, English, and German. My concerns lay in the HLs and having seven subjects. Time is not a problem for me as I’m a devoted student who doesn’t mind giving up time for school, but here’s the thing. Having in mind that I am aiming at Oxford, and their requirements to apply for medicine are as follows:
IB: 39 (including core points) with 766 at HL. Candidates are required to take Chemistry*and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics*to Higher Level.

Do you think three out of four of their suggested subjects at HL would be sufficient? I am not entirely sure I would be able to ace all four subjects, because it is as a matter of fact the hardest you can choose. The sciences are notorious for the amount of material they offer. Reaching out to someone with experience in applying to Oxford, am I still in the safe zone if I were to drop physics totally? Frankly speaking, it’s the subject I am the least interested in although I do find certain branches fascinating, but I am definitely more engaged when it comes to chemistry, biology, and math. I believe I would be able to score higher in those three subjects, and presumably even higher without the pressure of having physics as well, but I am not sure how that would affect my plans on going to Oxford.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am so grateful for your help, and please give me suggestions if my subjects seem inappropriate.

Medicine admissions are centralised but in nay case there is a common entry standard and a common framework governing admissions across all colleges so you don't have to worry about college choice affecting the outcome.

The standard quota is 6 students for Medicine and there are usually at least two permanent Medical Tutors at a college.

We think the HL requirement is clearly stated:
candidates are required to take Chemistry*and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics*to Higher Level.

So you don't have to do all four and could just do Chemistry and one other but having three is better than just two.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Medicine admissions are centralised but in nay case there is a common entry standard and a common framework governing admissions across all colleges so you don't have to worry about college choice affecting the outcome.

The standard quota is 6 students for Medicine and there are usually at least two permanent Medical Tutors at a college.

We think the HL requirement is clearly stated:
candidates are required to take Chemistry*and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics*to Higher Level.

So you don't have to do all four and could just do Chemistry and one other but having three is better than just two.

Brasenose Admissions

Do you think therefore you need the 7 in chemistry to apply to Oxford?! If you get a 6..... what does it mean and more importantly does it matter?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending