The Student Room Group

Biology a level

Is biology a level essential for biochemistry or medicine at uni? Is physics, maths, further maths and chemistry enough to let me study medicine or biochemistry at uni, or is biology essential?
Original post by Fermat42647
Is biology a level essential for biochemistry or medicine at uni? Is physics, maths, further maths and chemistry enough to let me study medicine or biochemistry at uni, or is biology essential?

yes, it's necessary. entry requirements for medicine or biochemistry require chemistry and biology

It depends on the uni - some (like UCL) require bio, chem and maths, but a good number only require chemistry + another science for biochemistry (like Oxford). Same case for medicine - there's no blanket answer.

Hey @Fermat42647

I study biochemistry at Lancaster and the A level subject requirement was chemistry and another science from biology, physics, and maths. I'm pretty sure most of the universities I applied to had similar requirements. I'd recommend checking the specific terms at universities you are interested in but you can definitely study biochemistry with those A levels.

I would potentially recommend reading the A level biology CGP book before you go to university if you're worried because I did find my A level biology knowledge very useful in first year.

I hope I could help!
Rebecca :smile:
Thanks so much!
Original post by part7fanatic
It depends on the uni - some (like UCL) require bio, chem and maths, but a good number only require chemistry + another science for biochemistry (like Oxford). Same case for medicine - there's no blanket answer.

Hi, thanks for the answer. Although bio a level is not required for Oxford for example, would you say that it would be difficult to get selected for a biochemistry or medicine course without bio even if it is not required?
Hi, thanks for the answer. Although bio a level is not required for Oxford for example, would you say that it would be difficult to get selected for a biochemistry or medicine course without bio even if it is not required?

I think it would be more difficult for Medicine unless you do your own rigorous research surrounding a-level/undergrad level bio that links into Medicine. For Biochem it's not a big deal tbh, it may just help a little bit to do Bio and Chem but other than that it doesn't really hurt your chances.

Heya!
It depends on the uni you want to go to. Always check the entry requirements on their website. A lot do require bio but there are also unis that require just chem and choice from bio/maths/physics (both for biochemistry and some medicine courses). Always double-check! For medicine, if it helps you could use this comparison tool :h: I would recommend doing some research and making an excel sheet.
I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
It depends on the uni you want to go to. Always check the entry requirements on their website. A lot do require bio but there are also unis that require just chem and choice from bio/maths/physics (both for biochemistry and some medicine courses). Always double-check! For medicine, if it helps you could use this comparison tool :h: I would recommend doing some research and making an excel sheet.
I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thanks so much for the advice and the link to the website! Do you know of wether biology a level is needed for neuroscience at uni?
Thanks so much for the advice and the link to the website! Do you know of wether biology a level is needed for neuroscience at uni?

Heya!I
It depends on the uni (again). As an example, the UCL neuroscience course states: "Chemistry required plus one from Biology, Life and Health Sciences, Mathematics or Physics.' So biology isn't necessarily a must in this case (though from the module choice it would be helpful to have it!) :h: Always check the entry requirements of the uni you want to go into!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Hi,

I was wondering what you finally decided on and if not doing bio a level affected anything if u chose med. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest