The Student Room Group

Do GCSE grades matter when applying to uni?

I’m doing my gcses rn and I am pretty sure that I can’t get all 9s in for my exams. My dream unis are Newcastle and Imperial and I was wondering if they differentiate between an 8 or a 9 in the GCSE scoring system. For English language and literature I think I would be at an 8 for maths and further maths hopefully a 9 along with the rest of the sciences. What would happen if get a 7/8 in Spanish and computing and an 8 in DT/Economics. Sorry this is such a weirdly layer out question I have my Spanish speaking in seven hours lol
The grades you are talking about are perfectly fine. You most certainly don't need all 9s to get into any uni except for Oxford.
Original post by danana_
I’m doing my gcses rn and I am pretty sure that I can’t get all 9s in for my exams. My dream unis are Newcastle and Imperial and I was wondering if they differentiate between an 8 or a 9 in the GCSE scoring system. For English language and literature I think I would be at an 8 for maths and further maths hopefully a 9 along with the rest of the sciences. What would happen if get a 7/8 in Spanish and computing and an 8 in DT/Economics. Sorry this is such a weirdly layer out question I have my Spanish speaking in seven hours lol

Hi @danana_

Thanks for your question.

At Newcastle, many of our undergraduate programmes do not have any specific GCSE requirements. Where GCSE requirements are specified, the requirement is usually no higher than grade B or 6 (although our Economics programmes do require grade A or 7 in Mathematics).

The entry requirements for all of our undergraduate programmes can be found on the course pages of our Online Undergraduate Prospectus.

Scott
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi @danana_

Thanks for your question.

At Newcastle, many of our undergraduate programmes do not have any specific GCSE requirements. Where GCSE requirements are specified, the requirement is usually no higher than grade B or 6 (although our Economics programmes do require grade A or 7 in Mathematics).

The entry requirements for all of our undergraduate programmes can be found on the course pages of our Online Undergraduate Prospectus.

Scott

Thank you so much for replying to me! I was interested in possibly doing either medicine or chemical engineering so that is good to hear.
Original post by danana_

Your working so well + hard, good luck with your exams!
Reply 5
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
The grades you are talking about are perfectly fine. You most certainly don't need all 9s to get into any uni except for Oxford.

Thank you for responding. I honestly don't even know if I can achieve those grades but I remember a teacher talking about how for some unis (if you take medicine) they look at 6 GCSEs? I don't know if that's right bc maybe i misheard or forgot and she also said how a 9 = 4 points 8 = 3 etc but some unis dont differentiate between an 8 and a 9.
Reply 6
Original post by StarDreamIX
Your working so well + hard, good luck with your exams!

thank you! but i really do need all the luck because i am stressing so much!
Original post by danana_
Thank you for responding. I honestly don't even know if I can achieve those grades but I remember a teacher talking about how for some unis (if you take medicine) they look at 6 GCSEs? I don't know if that's right bc maybe i misheard or forgot and she also said how a 9 = 4 points 8 = 3 etc but some unis dont differentiate between an 8 and a 9.

Even for medicine there's no universities that would require even an 8 or a 9. Don't worry.
Reply 8
Even for medicine there's no universities that would require even an 8 or a 9. Don't worry.

phew thank you so much
8s or 9s are not really distinguished between by most unis
Your grades will be fine. They are perfectly good enough. Unis dont require all 9's anyway.
Your a-level grades are more important.
Original post by danana_

Hey! For a few unis like Cardiff they do look at GCSEs as part of deciding interviews for medicine if you are considering, but most other unis don’t - that might be what they were referring to :smile:

Good luck in your exams!
For Imperial, getting as many 8s and 9s is advantageous. Most applicants will have a majority of 9s and 8s for Imperial. Also you should look at Cambridge, UCL, KCL, QMUL, Durham, Royal Holloway, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester, Nottingham, Reading and others.

Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology should be 7s ideally for Imperial, at minimum. UCL love to care about language GCSEs, but you should be fine as long as you have above a 6.

are you sure?
one of my friends got into oxford with a four in french, and 7s in english
the rest of his grades were 8s and 9s though, I think that may be a contributing factor to his acceptance
and he got predicted all A*
Reply 14

Oxford would
Original post by Muttley79
Oxford would

I mentioned Oxford in my first comment though
Reply 16
I mentioned Oxford in my first comment though

Not in the post I quoted ... #8 "Even for medicine there's no universities that would require even an 8 or a 9. Don't worry. "
Original post by Muttley79
Not in the post I quoted ... #8 "Even for medicine there's no universities that would require even an 8 or a 9. Don't worry. "

Well I didn't think I needed to repeat myself about Oxford. If it wasn't clear then I apologise.
Original post by danana_
thank you! but i really do need all the luck because i am stressing so much!

don't stress out ok! GCSEs aren't as important as a-levels so don't burn yourself out!! im doing my GCSEs too this year and after like 2 years of non-stop stress about it even im taking it easy :smile::smile: AND IM NOT GETTING ANY 9'S OKAY

Quick Reply

Latest