The Student Room Group

Why are the new 2018 GCSEs so hard?

Why are the new 2018 GCSEs so hard? Everyone in my local area are failing because of the new stupid gcse system. My big brother was the last guy to do his gcses before they changed it and now we are doing so much harder work than him...WHY???
Because too many people were finding them too easy and getting loads of A*s, so to differentiate between those people they make them harder so its really hard to get a 9.
why not keep the letter system and just make it harder to get an A* then
Original post by Imnotanerd
why not keep the letter system and just make it harder to get an A* then

Becuase then it doesn't show the difference between those who did the easier exams and those who did the harder ones. You wouldn't want to look worse just because you took newer exams where A* are harder to get when you would have got an A* on the older exams.
Original post by randomdude14
Why are the new 2018 GCSEs so hard? Everyone in my local area are failing because of the new stupid gcse system. My big brother was the last guy to do his gcses before they changed it and now we are doing so much harder work than him...WHY???

Why is life so hard?
Original post by Goldfish4343
Becuase then it doesn't show the difference between those who did the easier exams and those who did the harder ones. You wouldn't want to look worse just because you took newer exams where A* are harder to get when you would have got an A* on the older exams.

good point
Everyone is in the same boat anyway
old spec was easy, lot more about testing the application of knowledge nowadays rather than recall like it used to be?
Original post by Goldfish4343

No, it was mainly to further show the difference between the people getting As and A*s, as they are now divided into 3: 7, 8, 9
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
No, it was mainly to further show the difference between the people getting As and A*s, as they are now divided into 3: 7, 8, 9

Yes I know. That wasn't what we were discussing.
Because too many people were getting A*s on their GCSEs so they had to make it harder to balance it out again. The reasons why so many people were getting A*s is debatable but yeah if they didn't do anything then it would eventually be that there's no point in having high grades as they're too easy to achieve. They also wanted to further differentiate more able candidates. Like someone who got a 9 would previously have just got an A* whereas having the grade 9 shows that they're even better
Because it just is you can't do anything about it all you have to do is look forward and face life you never know what the future holds in store for you

Quick Reply

Latest