The Student Room Group

Does anyone go to New City College? (Attlee A Level Academy)

I applied to do biology chemistry psychology - is it good? how is the teaching?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That message was 3 years ago. I am applying this year. Seeing as you've probably graduated from there, how is it? I am planning on studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Thanks (:
Reply 2
Original post by z4ra.x
That message was 3 years ago. I am applying this year. Seeing as you've probably graduated from there, how is it? I am planning on studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Thanks (:

Hi! Amazing and good luck with your A Levels!

I don’t know what your goals are and what you want to get out of college, but I went in wanting to get it over with as soon as possible with the best grades I could. There are some lovely and fantastic teachers, and some average teachers as well, and it really is what you put into it. You get quite a lot of free study periods, especially in first year, where you’re only doing classes for about 3/4 hours a day, plus a free day off on wednesday. You can go to the library and get some extra studying in, or you can go home and chill out, so its really up to you what you do, and your grades will reflect it.

The information can feel overwhelming at first. You’re asked to memorise quite a bit more and understand things to a deeper level, but try to find the study method that works for you and it’ll help. I found that A levels involved a lot of memorising, where specific phrases from mark schemes were important, so stuff like flashcards (and digital flashcards like anki) were really really useful. Sit at the front of the class, ask questions, find a friend to study with in the library.

Socially, people are all quite nice, most people are from a working class background and theres a large muslim population because you’re in East London. Closest train stations are Shadwell and Limehouse, not the greatest area, but theres some cafes and restaurants around plus a short walk to starbucks/mcdonalds in the whitechapel area.

Thats all I can think of for now, but if you do have any questions, just shoot me a message. I graduated with A*A*A and just finished my second year of Biological Sciences at Imperial :smile:
Reply 3
Hey I'm also applying this year :smile:
Hii I also applied there and I have a interview on Tuesday, I’m kinda nervous but hopefully I’ll get in lol.
Reply 5
Same, did you go to the taster day last week?
Original post by Mahir0726
Same, did you go to the taster day last week?

I couldn't because I had my mocks (im currently in year 12 lol) and i want to repeat year 12 since i hate my school and i want to drop econ
Reply 7
Original post by tinaaa.aaaa
I couldn't because I had my mocks (im currently in year 12 lol) and i want to repeat year 12 since i hate my school and i want to drop econ

Ohh fair. What subjects are you planning on doing?
Ohh fair. What subjects are you planning on doing?

Maths, Psychology and Sociology wbu? :smile:

Watch out for this teacher that teaches Sociology. Not sure if he is still there.
Original post by Anony345533
Watch out for this teacher that teaches Sociology. Not sure if he is still there.

why what happened 😭😭😭 please tell me
why what happened 😭😭😭 please tell me

People call him extra. He can teach though. He's also a pig like if you pass he shouts and says it's not enough and if you fail he shouts at you more.
Reply 12

Media, sociology, business
People call him extra. He can teach though. He's also a pig like if you pass he shouts and says it's not enough and if you fail he shouts at you more.

That sounds terrible because that can rlly demotivate everyone 😭😭😭 my psychology teacher is also extra, she wants us to write all the extra details (when it’s not necessary) because she says it’s A* worthy and if we don’t she says it’s not good enough 😭😭 I think it’s just social science teachers in their natural habitat
Reply 14

Hoping the lady who we had on taster day is my teacher, she seemed chill😭
Hoping the lady who we had on taster day is my teacher, she seemed chill😭

Yeah the lady (I don't know if it's the same lady we are speaking about) was my form tutor and she's also a sociology and religious studies teacher. Not sure if she teaches Sociology anymore or if she's even at that college anymore. I left in 2018. The lady (if she is the same person we are talking about) is chill but people say she can't teach and just reads the text book.
That sounds terrible because that can rlly demotivate everyone 😭😭😭 my psychology teacher is also extra, she wants us to write all the extra details (when it’s not necessary) because she says it’s A* worthy and if we don’t she says it’s not good enough 😭😭 I think it’s just social science teachers in their natural habitat

The psychology teacher at new city college rolls her eyes when you get something wrong. The male sociology teacher who is the head of sociology as well says things like "what?" when you get it wrong and makes you feel stupid if you don't answer or he says things like "yeah there's a limit to how much you know"
(edited 9 months ago)
New City College is really everyone's second option.
The psychology teacher at new city college rolls her eyes when you get something wrong. The male sociology teacher who is the head of sociology as well says things like "what?" when you get it wrong and makes you feel stupid if you don't answer or he says things like "yeah there's a limit to how much you know"

longgggg dayyyy
longgggg dayyyy

I can literally tell you everything about the personality of teachers. I left after AS because of my Sociology teacher. I have never met a teacher like him in my life and I wouldn't be surprised if most of his class has to go to mental health wards (if you are sensitive like me) but other people in my class tend to fight back with him, and my class has one boy who is quiet and then the rest of the class girls, the girls all argue and shout back.

I didn't do psychology but people used to say that the teacher rolls her eyes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending