The Student Room Group

What Jobs can you recommend for a south asian Mum?

So, my mum is a 1st Generation parent, born in Pakistan, came to the UK aged 16 and married at 17, has been a ‘housewife’/‘Saty-at-home mum’ since.
Now my parents have never really been the ideal picture perfect family. Dad has on more than one occasion not been faithful shall we say. However they still remain together, Divorce is a taboo in this community.

I have been subjected to their “disagreements” for as long as I can remember (Age 4/5) and have had many numerous experiences of being woken up at 2-3 am by the sound of screams, yes, even on school nights, now this has been continuous up until I started my foundation degree back in 2018 it died down, not completely.

Now it has recently escalated on the paranoid basis of my mum suspecting foul play once again this time with my father’s sister-in-law (His bro’s wife), now given his prev track record it’s hard to disbelieve the accusations, however to me and my siblings this seems like an accusation of paranoia.

Mum’s MH has had a gradual change, such as personality and vast mood swings, our South Asian GP has put this down to Menopause, while that may seem likely, to those witnessing this first hand it seems a tad more psychological than a biological effect.

Mum likes to constantly sit on her phone looking at said sister-in-law’s social media statuses to see when they are online and compare it to when dad is online and this causes the “6th sense” (Paranoia) to set in and even though the messages between dad and sis in law are strictly platonic and involve conversations along the financial/debt topic, this doesn’t seem to be enough and frankly we think the toll of being a stay at home mum and cooped up in the house all day has had an effect on her MH. My own Differential diagnoses includes Anxiety with Borderline Personality Disorder, you may think “who am I to diagnose my own mother” I work in a healthcare profession and have done so for a good few years and many patients I tend to have MH issues.

My question (Finally) is what jobs or hobbies can my south asian mum do with her English being intermediate to upper intermediate and no qualifications or experience?

Counselling and Medication are not the one as she is stubborn beyond help just like Dad (Hence why arguments never get a resolution)
Original post by Kmgs00
So, my mum is a 1st Generation parent, born in Pakistan, came to the UK aged 16 and married at 17, has been a ‘housewife’/‘Saty-at-home mum’ since.
Now my parents have never really been the ideal picture perfect family. Dad has on more than one occasion not been faithful shall we say. However they still remain together, Divorce is a taboo in this community.

I have been subjected to their “disagreements” for as long as I can remember (Age 4/5) and have had many numerous experiences of being woken up at 2-3 am by the sound of screams, yes, even on school nights, now this has been continuous up until I started my foundation degree back in 2018 it died down, not completely.

Now it has recently escalated on the paranoid basis of my mum suspecting foul play once again this time with my father’s sister-in-law (His bro’s wife), now given his prev track record it’s hard to disbelieve the accusations, however to me and my siblings this seems like an accusation of paranoia.

Mum’s MH has had a gradual change, such as personality and vast mood swings, our South Asian GP has put this down to Menopause, while that may seem likely, to those witnessing this first hand it seems a tad more psychological than a biological effect.

Mum likes to constantly sit on her phone looking at said sister-in-law’s social media statuses to see when they are online and compare it to when dad is online and this causes the “6th sense” (Paranoia) to set in and even though the messages between dad and sis in law are strictly platonic and involve conversations along the financial/debt topic, this doesn’t seem to be enough and frankly we think the toll of being a stay at home mum and cooped up in the house all day has had an effect on her MH. My own Differential diagnoses includes Anxiety with Borderline Personality Disorder, you may think “who am I to diagnose my own mother” I work in a healthcare profession and have done so for a good few years and many patients I tend to have MH issues.

My question (Finally) is what jobs or hobbies can my south asian mum do with her English being intermediate to upper intermediate and no qualifications or experience?

Counselling and Medication are not the one as she is stubborn beyond help just like Dad (Hence why arguments never get a resolution)

I am not a fan of giving standard answers that you would expect, so I am going to throw a few curve balls.

Most jobs will require at least GCSEs in Maths and English Language. These qualifications are free to take at your local adult college. Whether she would like to do anything more than this is up to her and what her specific ambitions are.

There is usually a plethora of jobs that you can do with just those 2 GCSEs, but if you strictly looking for something that involves zero qualifications (why you would when just by having the GCSEs would open so many doors is beyond me), then you potentially have:

Some areas of construction (although you are looking at CVS cards)

IT roles (if she can prove her skills)

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if she's good)

Theatre and film (if she's good)

Music (if she's good)

Some roles related to writing (if she's good)

Storage

Logistics

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Retail

Travel and tourism

Entertainment (if she's good)

Translation (might still need the GCSE in English Language)

Some areas of agriculture

Just for the added incentive, if she does have her GCSEs, then she can at least consider:

Administration

Government services, including civil service, education, councils

Social work

Some areas of ehalthcare

Most areas of business (although it's recommended that she goes for the professional qualifications)

Most areas in property

Some areas in environmental services

Care work

Charity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending