The Student Room Group

Am I the only one not interested in the World Cup?

Scroll to see replies

I could care less about the world cup.
Reply 41
Original post by jonathanemptage
I could care less about the world cup.

You do realise that means that you do care about the World Cup don’t you?
Original post by Mess.
You do realise that means that you do care about the World Cup don’t you?

It's called slang by the way although I grant you no as common as it once was that one.
Original post by s817
It's just 2 teams kicking a ball about for 90 minutes, too long in my opinion.

Ha also could not give a monkeys. Apparently England beat Panama. No great feat. Panama is 6 people and a dog and someone operating the locks on the canal.

If we are talking about long marathon de sables. 6 days
Original post by Quixote.
I beg to differ. More people on my facebook feed are talking about Love Island than they are the World Cup, which I have zero interest in. Last month I had royal wedding coverage forced on me for weeks, what if I wasn't interested in that? Every time the Olympics rolls around there's nothing but that on the BBC for weeks. "It's people running around in circles for a few minutes". If I went to the gaming sub forum people would be speaking about gaming, if I went to the religion one they'd be talking about religion. But I don't tend to go to sub forum's of things that i'm not interested in to unnecessarily declare my lack of interest.

You are literally doing what you're saying that you're not, coming into a forum that people are in to talk with people with similar interests, and subjecting everybody to your interests (or non-interest).

Who exactly is subjecting your to their interest in football? The idea that you're being forced to discuss football here in this forum with us is hilarious, or in real life for that matter. I watch football most days, but between watching it I have found it fairly easy to have discussions with people on various topics and partake in my various other interests.

The "as though there is nothing more interesting" bit it funny too. For somebody interested in football, a tournament that only comes around every 4 years might very well be one of the most interesting things going on for the next couple of weeks. Personally, most of my spare time is being spent working a summer-job, so the football is an fun and interesting breather from that most days. And if you you feel the need to call me boring for that, go for it, but you know absolutely nothing about me or my other interests... so it'd just be a little pathetic tbh.

Yeah the world cup only comes around every 4 years but then between that is the euros and the FA cup and the Champions league and probably some others that I've forgotten about.Its just grating when you are out with people and all they can talk about is which idiot kicked the ball in the net or who's going to get relegated.There are plenty of things more interesting.You would probably find it just as grating if all people could talk about is say golf.And yet when you say you have no interest in it it's considered unusual or unmanly which is absurd.Arw you less of a man if you find golf boring? It's stupid.
And for the record I also have zero interest in love island or the royal wedding.This thread is about non-interest in the world cup I was merely commenting on it.Its not my fault it's in this subforum.
Original post by Robby2312
Its just grating when you are out with people and all they can talk about is which idiot kicked the ball in the net or who's going to get relegated.

Never happened. People would just move on to something else if you're not interested.

Stop making stuff up.
Reply 46
Yeah the world cup only comes around every 4 years but then between that is the euros and the FA cup and the Champions league and probably some others that I've forgotten about.Its just grating when you are out with people and all they can talk about is which idiot kicked the ball in the net or who's going to get relegated.There are plenty of things more interesting.You would probably find it just as grating if all people could talk about is say golf.And yet when you say you have no interest in it it's considered unusual or unmanly which is absurd.Arw you less of a man if you find golf boring? It's stupid.
And for the record I also have zero interest in love island or the royal wedding.This thread is about non-interest in the world cup I was merely commenting on it.Its not my fault it's in this subforum.

You sound like an absolute delight.

What things do you enjoy?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Never happened. People would just move on to something else if you're not interested.

Stop making stuff up.

Yeah it did.They wouldn't really if you're the only one in a group of people not interested in football.They'd continue their conversation about football with each other and then eventually move on.
Original post by Mess.
You sound like an absolute delight.

What things do you enjoy?

I am.
My mum is not interested.
Yeah it did.They wouldn't really if you're the only one in a group of people not interested in football.They'd continue their conversation about football with each other and then eventually move on.

Get some new friends mate. Seems like you hate your friends for talking about what the majority of them are interested in. Again, "plenty of things more interesting" is very debatable when you're trying to dictate an entire group's conversation because you alone are not interested.
Original post by DSutch
My mum is not interested.

Mine didn't even know the England game was on yesterday. It clearly is very avoidable.
Original post by Quixote.
Get some new friends mate. Seems like you hate your friends for talking about what the majority of them are interested in. Again, "plenty of things more interesting" is very debatable when you're trying to dictate an entire group's conversation because you alone are not interested.

Not really.You can still like people without being interested in exactly the same things.
Original post by pinkbacon1437
. I mean who’s gonna watch football for 6 hours a day every day?

Yo. Cheeky picture in picture at my desk for the one and four o'clock kickoffs (or even a tactical lunch to watch the first half of the one o'clock at the cinema), home and crack open a can of beer and a burger for the seven o'clock kickoff. This is the best time of the year when it happens.
Reply 54
Robbie got a point.

Sometimes you don't want to talk about football and talk about other stuff but you can't have a decent conversation going for more than 5 mins without talking about football.

I counter it by being extremely boisterous and intensr about football opinions and trolling/destroying people's points until they decide to talk about something else.

Like went out to a restaurant and we have a conversation about legends in football. This would be fine if we didn't have this conversation every time we meet, which reminded me why I stopped meeting them all the time. If it's not that it's juvenile trolling about people's teams sucking.

Its a simple case of finding new friends who share your interests tho.
Absolutely not! But to go on the world Cup forum and post this is a bit self righteous.
Agreed.Its just boring and it's beyond annoying how people are constantly talking about it all through the year.And as for Panama their not even good.When they beat a real team I'll be impressed.

To me this sums up the meaning of entitled. If you find it "beyond annoying" that some people share passionate interests in something you don't then entitled is what you are. I can think of a few more words. Pompous, arrogant, stuck up or just plain pathetic. I'm not even a football person and this annoyed me.
No, billions of people around the world is also not interested in the world cup- you are not the only one :smile:
Original post by Dround87
To me this sums up the meaning of entitled. If you find it "beyond annoying" that some people share passionate interests in something you don't then entitled is what you are. I can think of a few more words. Pompous, arrogant, stuck up or just plain pathetic. I'm not even a football person and this annoyed me.

I'm not entitled.But it is annoying how half the country comes to a stop over a game.Its like when the royal family pops another one out we have rolling news coverage all day long.There is no need for it.But yes it is annoying when people constantly talk about a subject you have no interest in.Like if I were to go on about formula 1 all year long you would doubtless get annoyed.Its not even like it's that interesting of a game.Literally nothing happens for 99% of the game.Most football fans just follow the crowd.They support so and so team because their father or their brother or their friends do.They go on about how " football is coming home" even though England are beyond dire.They get into fights as well all over some men you don't even know playing a game.Whats pathetic is that you call football an interest.Watching tv isn't an interest.
I'm not entitled.But it is annoying how half the country comes to a stop over a game.Its like when the royal family pops another one out we have rolling news coverage all day long.There is no need for it.But yes it is annoying when people constantly talk about a subject you have no interest in.Like if I were to go on about formula 1 all year long you would doubtless get annoyed.Its not even like it's that interesting of a game.Literally nothing happens for 99% of the game.Most football fans just follow the crowd.They support so and so team because their father or their brother or their friends do.They go on about how " football is coming home" even though England are beyond dire.They get into fights as well all over some men you don't even know playing a game.Whats pathetic is that you call football an interest.Watching tv isn't an interest.

Can you really not find a conversion about a non-football subject? Does ripping on someone else's passion make you feel good? Can you really not get in the least bit enthused about your national team playing in one of the biggest sporting events on the planet? Your arrogance and entitlement are outstanding to me. Yet another person who loves to put a downer on things (this is posted in a world cup forum after all) because they think they know better.

Quick Reply

Latest