The Student Room Group

Do you like London?

Scroll to see replies

Horrible city with horrible people and horrible prices, coupled with crime that's off the charts. No thanks, I'll stick to the North.
Original post by Doonesbury
Source? You seem to be finding those straws are hard to grasp.

Edit: by the way, you probably need to change your username...

To be fair they're right, constantly see them up to no good round Manchester too
Original post by L i b
What do you mean by 'central London' though? Is Fulham 'central'? Chelsea? Presumably Richmond, Harrow, Pinner etc aren't? Plenty of lovely bits outside of the inner boroughs.

That's just racist clap-trap.

No it isn't

Black and Black British are counted as one and the same thing, it shouldn't Black people who aren't born here aren't British by nationality, but they are counted as such when they have there indefinite leave to remain.

All the stats are too vague

The model they should follow is

White British (born here) Total
Irish Travellers
White European
White non natives

Black British (born here)
Other Black categories (not born here)

Repeat for Asian
Couldn’t imagine living on London. Like I hate the idea of moving there
Reply 104
Original post by Not Happy
Black and Black British are counted as one and the same thing, it shouldn't Black people who aren't born here aren't British by nationality, but they are counted as such when they have there indefinite leave to remain.

If someone is a British citizen they are British. End of.
Original post by Doonesbury
If someone is a British citizen they are British. End of.

Legally yes, practically No.
Reply 106
Legally yes, practically No.

Cool so you agree: legally yes. End of, as I said.
This is going to be my last post on this topic and going back to the original post i made before people decided that race baiting was going to be the way forward.

Lets have some food for thought- London crime is up in double digits when it comes to all violent crime.

In the year January 2016-December 2016 in terms of violent crime the volume is as follows

Knife Crime 11,125
Gun Crimes 2,332
Violence against people 235,319

In the year January 2017-December 2017

Knife Crime 14,352 an increase of 3227 from 2016 or a 29% increase
Gun Crimes 2,453 an increase of 131 from 2016 or a 5.64% increase
Violence against the person 248,600 an increase of 13,081 or a 5.5% increase

London is becoming less and less safe by the year, You know that myth the media tell you about hate crime exploding well, this isn't true at all

In 2017 hate crime had the following segments

Racial Hate crimes 16789- up 0.71%
Sexual orientation crimes 2095 up 4.18%
Disability hate crime 426- down 43.5%

When aggregated together hate crime is down in London, real crime is exploding hate crime is going down yet the Met waste £30,000,000+ on hate crime officers per year when this money can be used on proper officers fighting real crime.

Source Mayors Office For Policing and Crime December 2017

Bugger it I will risk breaking article 13 from the institute of stupidity and paste the link in https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/mopac_quarterly_report_q3_2017-18.pdf
It’s good. Not a nice as Hertfordshire though....
Reply 109
This is going to be my last post on this topic

:party:
Reply 110
No it isn't

Irish Travellers
White European
White non natives

Repeat for Asian

Your nationality and national identity has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of your skin - and quite frankly it is offensive to try and restrict Britishness or Englishness in this way.
Original post by StriderHort
Just my 2p but I'm from Glasgow and also in the 'Wouldn't live in London if paid' group. It increasingly seems like a place people simply go to burn up and die, violence in general seems to be spiking to say nothing of the genuinely eye watering prices, my rent for a 2 bed flat in a reasonably quiet leafy area in Glasgows south would struggle to rent a box for a week in London, in some ways they REALLY can't be compared at all.

Comparable only in that London and Glasgow/Edinburgh are major cities, the biggest in their countries. Violence happens everywhere, it just gets spotlighted in London by the media a lot more than other areas.
No it isn't

Irish Travellers
White European
White non natives

Repeat for Asian

We've got too many globalists in the Non-Muslim Indian community for that. I do think however that we should create a Hispanic-style ethnicity for the Muslim community, and that Pakistanis shouldn't be South Asian.
I wouldn't trade being a Londoner for anything, secondary school memories can never be replaced. The knife crimes have gone up by far and we need to stop. We're very diverse
yea
For 20 years, I loved it, it was home, now I want to be as far away from it as I can.
The property prices are stupid. You can’t get a 1 bed flat for less than £500,000 in London and that's without a parking space, without a garden and probably in a grotty area!
A crappy bedsit isn’t much cheaper. Then you have congestion charge, a parking space is around £20,000 to buy. Then you have idiots driving by throwing acid at pedestrians knife crime, motorbike jacking. Seriously whats the attraction people see in London?

In Newcastle you can get a 2 bed terraced house with a back yard or garden and a free car parking space outside your own door all for around £30,000.

For £80k to £90k you can get a 3 bedroom semi detached house with front & back garden, garage and driveway in Newcastle.
Museums, galleries, shopping, sightseeing, architecture, history, bars... what's not to like!?? Although Paris is better.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 118
Original post by Ambitious1999
The property prices are stupid. You can’t get a 1 bed flat for less than £500,000 in London and that's without a parking space, without a garden and probably in a grotty area!
A crappy bedsit isn’t much cheaper. Then you have congestion charge, a parking space is around £20,000 to buy. Then you have idiots driving by throwing acid at pedestrians knife crime, motorbike jacking. Seriously whats the attraction people see in London?

In Newcastle you can get a 2 bed terraced house with a back yard or garden and a free car parking space outside your own door all for around £30,000.

For £80k to £90k you can get a 3 bedroom semi detached house with front & back garden, garage and driveway in Newcastle.

Depends on the location, location, location
2 bed flat, £393k in Newcastle https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71257385.html

2 bed flat. £95k in London https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65983021.html
The property benefits from a private front and rear garden and off street parking.
(edited 5 years ago)
London is at least the most interesting place to visit in Europe and places like New York or LA are very cosmopolitan too but lack the historical weight and cultural legacy there is to appreciate here, for those with an appetite for that sort of thing. The architecture, the musea, theater land, Buckhouse and all that.

It is also a bit of a s******e in parts and in the hands of the loonie left, has a higher murder rate than NY, pollution is choking us, drugs eveywhere, most forms of significant crime rising even faster than the contribution for the GLA in our council taxes, terrorist attacks, not all is that well but still a most interesting place. Too many buses.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending