The Student Room Group

Is going to uni in London worth it creative courses?

I’m applying for unis for sept 2024-

I’ve been to uni already for one year but didn’t like my course- I really liked the small city the uni was in, but wonder is London worth living in to gain connections for the creative industry?

I’m aware it’s expensive but wonder if it’ll pay off eventually if there are more creative jobs there.

Thanks
Anon,

Good question.

I think it is helpful to be in a creative city with so many galleries and new exhibitions going on. There are a lot of places in London you can go for inspiration.

There are also likely to be more opportunities to apply for different things e.g. an art internship with a gallery or work as an art invigilator etc...

Depending on the university you go to they might also have a lot of contacts with leading figures in the field, which might help you find out about places which are looking for work from artists on a particular theme.

It also looks good if you go to a university where famous artists went, but I think a career in art comes down to marketing skills, the quality of your artwork and getting your artwork seen by the right people i.e., Saatchi and the Young British Artists.

You could get your art degree and then move to London. It might also be worthwhile to do a MA in London, but with everything in art, there is no guaranteed pathway to success!

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 2
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,Good question.I think it is helpful to be in a creative city with so many galleries and new exhibitions going on. There are a lot of places in London you can go for inspiration.There are also likely to be more opportunities to apply for different things e.g. an art internship with a gallery or work as an art invigilator etc...Depending on the university you go to they might also have a lot of contacts with leading figures in the field, which might help you find out about places which are looking for work from artists on a particular theme.It also looks good if you go to a university where famous artists went, but I think a career in art comes down to marketing skills, the quality of your artwork and getting your artwork seen by the right people i.e., Saatchi and the Young British Artists.You could get your art degree and then move to London. It might also be worthwhile to do a MA in London, but with everything in art, there is no guaranteed pathway to success!Hope that helps,Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Hey Oluwatosin, that's my name too. If I may ask are what are you going to school for and is it going well? I'm also looking for creative schooling opportunities in London for 2024 and the fear of student debt is the main thing holding me back. I'm looking in a film/media/fineart direction, any words of advice?
Original post by Tosin033
Hey Oluwatosin, that's my name too. If I may ask are what are you going to school for and is it going well? I'm also looking for creative schooling opportunities in London for 2024 and the fear of student debt is the main thing holding me back. I'm looking in a film/media/fineart direction, any words of advice?

@Tosin033

Hello my namesake : )!

I studied art many years ago. At present, I am studying podiatry up North. I am enjoying the course but it is intense and a big change from the world of art!

Words of advice...

Student debt is real, and it's lot higher than when I studied art, so I think if you are going to study a creative subject make sure you do go to one of the best schools/ a school with a big reputation, so that could be University of the Arts London but it could also be Glasgow School of Art. In general any big city should have a good creative art scene, so there are many places you could go.

London is an expensive city, so if you are not already based in London, do think about the cost of accommodation, art materials, transport, food, money to see art paid exhibitions etc...

Whatever subject you study, you are likely to have debt, and you won't have to start paying back this debt until you earn a certain amount, but it will take time to pay back, so it's wise to think about life post uni and what your long term goals are.

If the creative opportunity does not happen, what do you plan to do/fall back on? If you plan to keep pursuing art/your creative subject, post-uni, are you willing to work in low paid/student type jobs if necessary or even do some volunteering to get experience/contacts?

You don't have to have everything figured out, but it's good to think about these things now before doing a degree and then not knowing what to do afterwards/ feeling frustrated.

So in short, if you choose to study a creative subject go to a uni that's good for that subject and think about finances (while at uni and post uni) before studying.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending