The Student Room Group
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website

Uni of Law. Birmingham or London

Hey!

So I was originally applying for the Bar + LLM course in London, in City, UoL and the Uni of Law. However, I think my plans may have to change and I might be going to Birmingham, where the Uni of Law has a campus and there is no other option.

I was wondering if there is any major difference between the Birmingham and London campuses, and if Birmingham is a good place for me to study. Is the campus good? Aesthetically and academically? And any other info you could give.
Original post by khadija_1573
Hey!

So I was originally applying for the Bar + LLM course in London, in City, UoL and the Uni of Law. However, I think my plans may have to change and I might be going to Birmingham, where the Uni of Law has a campus and there is no other option.

I was wondering if there is any major difference between the Birmingham and London campuses, and if Birmingham is a good place for me to study. Is the campus good? Aesthetically and academically? And any other info you could give.

Hi @khadija_1573,

I don't personally go to The University of Law, but I do study in Birmingham and I absolutely love it here! Just like you, my plans prior to coming to Birmingham was to also study in London, but after lots of research and reconsidering I thought I ought to change my plans to Birmingham instead.

I love it here because I get to experience a city life minus the city costs. London can get quite expensive, regardless of what you're spending it on. Food, bills, entertainment, etc... You can have just as much fun with loads to do in Birmingham with a student-friendly budget.

Birmingham is pretty close to other cities in the UK anyways, so if you ever want to do a day trip it's pretty convenient as well. Sometimes, I like to live out my London lifestyle fantasies by taking a weekend or day trip there as well.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @khadija_1573,

I don't personally go to The University of Law, but I do study in Birmingham and I absolutely love it here! Just like you, my plans prior to coming to Birmingham was to also study in London, but after lots of research and reconsidering I thought I ought to change my plans to Birmingham instead.

I love it here because I get to experience a city life minus the city costs. London can get quite expensive, regardless of what you're spending it on. Food, bills, entertainment, etc... You can have just as much fun with loads to do in Birmingham with a student-friendly budget.

Birmingham is pretty close to other cities in the UK anyways, so if you ever want to do a day trip it's pretty convenient as well. Sometimes, I like to live out my London lifestyle fantasies by taking a weekend or day trip there as well.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

So city life isn't compromised then? I admit, that is something I'm worried about. Likely not enough to have a huge impact on my decision though. I'd like to know some more about the city life there. Is it confined to the city centre? I've heard it's amazing, but I want to know if it's similar if I live a bit outside the centre. Birmingham being much cheaper is the main factor since my younger siblings will be moving with me. Do you know what the rent and stuff would be though in the city? For like a 2 bedroom place. London is outrageously out of budget.
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

So city life isn't compromised then? I admit, that is something I'm worried about. Likely not enough to have a huge impact on my decision though. I'd like to know some more about the city life there. Is it confined to the city centre? I've heard it's amazing, but I want to know if it's similar if I live a bit outside the centre. Birmingham being much cheaper is the main factor since my younger siblings will be moving with me. Do you know what the rent and stuff would be though in the city? For like a 2 bedroom place. London is outrageously out of budget.

Salam Khadija
You have siblings with you so you should go to Birmingham bcz the rent is pretty lower!

Compared to london, you can have a whole house on rent in price in one en suite in London!
Vibe would be important if you were alone but as you are with your siblings you would be looking for lowering the budget as much as possible!

I dont know if you are looking for a part time job but if you are then the wage rates are same at both cities but expenses at Birmingham are cheeper so you can save much costs!

You should go for Birmingham!
Reply 4
Original post by ahsaan._.11
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija
You have siblings with you so you should go to Birmingham bcz the rent is pretty lower!

Compared to london, you can have a whole house on rent in price in one en suite in London!
Vibe would be important if you were alone but as you are with your siblings you would be looking for lowering the budget as much as possible!

I dont know if you are looking for a part time job but if you are then the wage rates are same at both cities but expenses at Birmingham are cheeper so you can save much costs!

Hi! Yes I've already decided on Birmingham for this very reason. I was initially going to London but I chose to switch because of them. I was just wondering what the vibe is like. Would I still get to experience city life? How is the central city area in Birmingham different to the suburban areas or the parts between them? Stuff like that. I'd have loved to go to London. I'd been planning it for around 8-10 years and I'm only 20 lol (It's my mother's home; I'm a citizen too but I've never actually been), but it's something I'm willing to give up, or put on hold rather. I've waited this long, what's a few more years?

Anyways, I am planning to work, either part-time or full-time idk. But yeah Birmingham would help with my budget and other things since I'm gonna be their sole carer in the country.
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija

Hi! Yes I've already decided on Birmingham for this very reason. I was initially going to London but I chose to switch because of them. I was just wondering what the vibe is like. Would I still get to experience city life? How is the central city area in Birmingham different to the suburban areas or the parts between them? Stuff like that. I'd have loved to go to London. I'd been planning it for around 8-10 years and I'm only 20 lol (It's my mother's home; I'm a citizen too but I've never actually been), but it's something I'm willing to give up, or put on hold rather. I've waited this long, what's a few more years?

Anyways, I am planning to work, either part-time or full-time idk. But yeah Birmingham would help with my budget and other things since I'm gonna be their sole carer in the country.

You made a right decision!
I also have been dreaming to study in London since years, i think due to its vibe its almost choice of every student to live in London..
But is does not mean that Birmingham is in any sense back than London, Birmingham has its own vibe and the area is quiet and spread geographically.
It will be a good time for you in London!
You will also get a fair part time job which can help you with groceries, bills and accommodation!
For which course are you going there?

May your journey be filled with happiness!
Reply 6
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija

I also have been dreaming to study in London since years, i think due to its vibe its almost choice of every student to live in London..
But is does not mean that Birmingham is in any sense back than London, Birmingham has its own vibe and the area is quiet and spread geographically.
You will also get a fair part time job which can help you with groceries, bills and accommodation!

I'm applying for the Bar + LLM course with my LLM focus on Medical Law and Human Rights
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija

I'm applying for the Bar + LLM course with my LLM focus on Medical Law and Human Rights

Oh great!
I wanted to go for LLB there but they don’t offer!
This uni has good mooting and alot of campuses
Reply 8
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija

Oh great!

The Uni of Law does offer the Ll.B. though. I got in when I was applying for undergrad but couldn't go at that time due to COVID and some other stuff unfortunately. You should check it out again.
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija

Oh great!

The Uni of Law does offer the Ll.B. though. I got in when I was applying for undergrad but couldn't go at that time due to COVID and some other stuff unfortunately. You should check it out again.

Oh sorry I confused it with BPP Uni
Yeah it offers LLB
i will look for it for my UCAS choices
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija

Oh great!

Can I know from where you did your LLB and how was it?
I mean your class of passing
Reply 11
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija

Oh great!

Yeah it offers LLB

Good luck!
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija

Oh great!

Yeah it offers LLB

Good luck!

Thankyou so much!
Hi @khadija_1573,

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Salam Khadija

Oh great!

Can you explain any job prospects after law grad and have you got any offers for job after LLB?
Bcz I am a bit confused due to public perception of law degree!
Hey!

Hi @khadija_1573,

With the University of Law, all of our campuses offer the same level of teaching, support and opportunities. There are a few differences in terms of the campus size and facilities, depending on location but these shouldn't impact the level of tutoring and the end result that you obtain at the university. I unfortunately haven't visited the Birmingham campus but I have no doubt that your experience there (bar the differences in the cities) would be very similar as if you decided to study in London or Bristol etc. Also, there is the added benefit of ULaw allowing campus switch at any point during your studies. Therefore, if you start in Birmingham and then need to move locations for whatever reason you should be able to do so with little struggle as long as there are spaces in the course at your desired location.

I hope this helps and good luck! 🙂

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending