The Student Room Group

physics/maths question -srry didn't get any help from physics forum

So for this question, what I don't understand is why they don't use the equations separately for the 2 parts of the motion
..maybe i am not clear enough so in other words..
we can say there are 2 parts to the motion - the motion with the ramp is different to the motion on the rough horizontal surface.. but they use e.g.
K0​+U0​+WNC​​=K+U to represent the 2 parts as a whole

can someone clear this up for me? Thanks
Here is the question below
Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Reply 2
Original post by h26
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...w-ap-physics-1

So for this question, what I don't understand is why they don't use the equations separately for the 2 parts of the motion
we can say there are 2 parts to the motion - the motion with the ramp is different to the motion on the rough horizontal surface.. but they use e.g.

page not found.
Reply 3
Original post by math42
page not found.

Oh! Ill upload into a doc in a sec :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by math42
page not found.

help.docx
there are 2 pages to it thanks1!!!!!!
Original post by h26

Here is the question below
Attachment not found

I guess energy is conserved everywhere, so the LHS of the equation is at the ramp, which should be the same as the total energy on the flat surface at rest (the RHS)
Reply 6
Original post by 3pointonefour
I guess energy is conserved everywhere, so the LHS of the equation is at the ramp, which should be the same as the total energy on the flat surface at rest (the RHS)

But then what about all the other equations , the nonconservative force of friction and the substitutions they do - it's like they are doing it for the whole system crap but that doesnt make much sense bc the motions and accelerations for each of the two parts are different if you see what i mean
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by h26
help.docx
there are 2 pages to it thanks1!!!!!!

Sure you can split it up to find the velocity when it reaches the bottom of the ramp, and then find it's decceleration.
This is just an alternative method. Nothing wrong with that.
It's a common theme in mechanics that problems can be tackled in more than one way.
Reply 8
Original post by have
Sure you can split it up to find the velocity when it reaches the bottom of the ramp, and then find it's decceleration.
This is just an alternative method. Nothing wrong with that.
It's a common theme in mechanics that problems can be tackled in more than one way.

Hi! that's what I actually tried before but I just couldn't get the velocity when it reaches the bottom of the ramp -that's what limited me
Reply 9
Original post by h26
Hi! that's what I actually tried before but I just couldn't get the velocity when it reaches the bottom of the ramp -that's what limited me

SUVAT?
Just make sure you work out the distance it actually goes down the ramp (and not just vertical distance)
And make sure you get the component of acceleration right.
Reply 10
Original post by have
SUVAT?
Just make sure you work out the distance it actually goes down the ramp (and not just vertical distance)
And make sure you get the component of acceleration right.

It's been a while from my M1 exam :colondollar:
ok so do we split up the acceleration into components? and then i dunno what to do
can you help me with the first part of the motion please? am a bit lost lol
Reply 11
Original post by h26
It's been a while from my M1 exam :colondollar:
ok so do we split up the acceleration into components? and then i dunno what to do
can you help me with the first part of the motion please? am a bit lost lol

Ignore my prev comment, I didn't realise it didn't give you a horizontal length.
You have to do it their way working strictly in terms of energy.
So you have to find the GPE lost = mgh
and find a speed by saying KE= GPE lost
and KE= 1/2 mv^2
Solve for v will give you its velocity at the bottom of the ramp
Reply 12
Original post by have
Ignore my prev comment, I didn't realise it didn't give you a horizontal length.
You have to do it their way working strictly in terms of energy.
So you have to find the GPE lost = mgh
and find a speed by saying KE= GPE lost
and KE= 1/2 mv^2
Solve for v will give you its velocity at the bottom of the ramp

Hey thanks a lot - worked out the whole question.. But this is not the way the mark scheme is going about it - what are they doing? Can you let me know please:smile:
34.PNG
Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest