The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chickenhead11
Thanks for the links, I’m struggling to find one for Bristol but I’ll do a deeper search tomorrow

Have never used it myself (totally IT illiterate) but I understand you can get this to tell you anything you want if you are much cleverer than me!
https://www.ucas.com/data-and-analysis/data-products-and-services/exact
So can tell you the number of offers and I think they interview about 1000 people (call and ask would be my techophobic way of dealing with this!)
Hi!
Decided to make a thread where we can share our stats and what unis we r thinking of applying to. We can then update it once we’ve received interviews/offers.

Predicted grades: A*A*A*
Gcses: 99998877A*A*B
Ucat : 730 band 1
Unis : Birmingham, Leicester, Manchester, Bristol

Nice ucat score! I have mine in 9 days and am ******** myself lol
Original post by Sososnake
Nice ucat score! I have mine in 9 days and am ******** myself lol

Good luck!! It’s such a relief to be able to get it over with. Try not to stress about it too much tho ( Ik it’s hard to do). Cause I was an emotional wreck so couldn’t sleep at all and was sick twice on the day! (Not a good state to be in)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Have never used it myself (totally IT illiterate) but I understand you can get this to tell you anything you want if you are much cleverer than me!
https://www.ucas.com/data-and-analysis/data-products-and-services/exact
So can tell you the number of offers and I think they interview about 1000 people (call and ask would be my techophobic way of dealing with this!)

Thank you for the link! Never knew that part of ucas existed 😂 I’m away rn so would be quite costly to call them, but I’ll check the link out :smile:
Original post by chicken_123_
Hello, I am in the same position as you having finished my gcses and waiting for the results in 17 days :frown: . I am considering a career in medicine too and wondered if I could get some advice . What grades Would you need to get to consider Cambridge University having done a lot of volunteering in hospitals, carehomes and work experiences as well as extra curricular activities ? If anyone currently applying for medicine has any advice for me that would be most helpful .

the more a*s the better! though it depends on things like contextual data, yout BMAT score etc.
Thanks for the links, I’m struggling to find one for Bristol but I’ll do a deeper search tomorrow

I came across this if it helps

Year/Applications for A100/Interviews/Offers
2016/17 4096 823 421
2017/18 3576 799 508
Original post by GANFYD
These give you a good idea, but they are at least 5 years out of date

Yes, I noticed they are out of date but give a fair idea
Original post by msd1974
I came across this if it helps

Year/Applications for A100/Interviews/Offers
2016/17 4096 823 421
2017/18 3576 799 508

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 388
Hi I'm currently a fifth year intercalating med student, I'm happy to advise or answer questions, if that'd be of help!:smile:
Reply 389
One thing I never looked at when applying was the term times, Leicester for example has zero summer holidays (there is technically a couple of weeks off, but it is only for revision before the end of year exams) in the later years (having a holiday, or time for internships, research etc is really useful). So I'd recommend having a look!
Reply 390
Original post by HCB97
One thing I never looked at when applying was the term times, Leicester for example has zero summer holidays (there is technically a couple of weeks off, but it is only for revision before the end of year exams) in the later years (having a holiday, or time for internships, research etc is really useful). So I'd recommend having a look!

Do they have holidays at a different time or just less holiday than everybody else? I thought most med schools you had university terms for the first couple of years before it steps up. Is that wrong?
Original post by apricitea
the more a*s the better! though it depends on things like contextual data, yout BMAT score etc.

Thank you . And how do I prepare well for the bmat? Or when should I start doing so ?
Reply 392
Original post by chicken_123_
Thank you . And how do I prepare well for the bmat? Or when should I start doing so ?

Look at the BMAT website. You can access the assumed knowledge guide on line, I think that might only be after you have registered for the exam, but worth checking. The first section is general IQ test stuff, the second is GCSE maths and science, the third is an essay. I think most of the Cambridge colleges are only interested in the first 2 sections, but you can check when you are choosing your college. Downing don't used the third section.

There is a VERY high correlation between strong BMAT scores and offers at some of the colleges. I would advise you to do the August/September BMAT (I think it might always be the Saturday after August bank holiday, so may be 5th Sept) so that you know your score before you apply.

BMAT Ninja by 6med used to be the best study aid, but Medify now have one which may be better as their UCAT prep is much better than any of their competitors.
Original post by TCL
Do they have holidays at a different time or just less holiday than everybody else? I thought most med schools you had university terms for the first couple of years before it steps up. Is that wrong?

University term times generally disappear once you are into clinical years, though some tag their elective in round this time so you get more time off the timetable
Good luck!! It’s such a relief to be able to get it over with. Try not to stress about it too much tho ( Ik it’s hard to do). Cause I was an emotional wreck so couldn’t sleep at all and was sick twice on the day! (Not a good state to be in)

Haha that just makes your score even more impressive
Original post by Sososnake
Haha that just makes your score even more impressive

Ahaha thanks! Twas a wild couple of days 😂
Hi!
Decided to make a thread where we can share our stats and what unis we r thinking of applying to. We can then update it once we’ve received interviews/offers.

Predicted grades: A*A*A*
Gcses: 99998877A*A*B
Ucat : 730 band 1
Unis : Birmingham, Leicester, Manchester, Bristol

amazingg!! really hope you get in!

i have my ucat soon omg i would dream to have that amazing score!!
good luck
Original post by zwastix
amazingg!! really hope you get in!

i have my ucat soon omg i would dream to have that amazing score!!
good luck

Thank you! BEST OF LUCK TO U!! Hope it all goes well :smile:
Reply 398
Original post by TCL

Once in clinical years they quickly erase any holiday! The timing and lengths vary by university, I couldn't say for each, I'd only recommend adding it into your considerations.
A*A*A*
777999A*A*A*A*
UCAT 757 SJT2
Uni’s - Still unsure! Prob Newcastle, Bristol, Liverpool and Leeds or Nottingham. Still to do BMAT of course so need to see how that goes.

Latest

Trending

Trending