The Student Room Group

St. Andrews vs. Cardiff (English & History)

I have an unconditional from St. Andrews, and a likely offer from Cardiff (though they still haven't gotten back to me, they contacted my tutor asking if they could do a conditional offer). My choice right now is whether to cancel my Cardiff choice because they are lagging, and firm St. Andrews so I can pick accom.

I never visited St Andrews, but I feel like it is a wonderful place from what I have heard. I get an MA at the end, and feel the course is top notch. Basically it is my first choice, but I need to have more input before I commit the rest of my life to a whim. My one fear of St Andrews is that I won't find people I like and will get sort of bored.. I don't want a strictly academic setting like Oxbridge. I don't have any intention to go clubbing, but I love going out and having a blast regularly.. I'm afraid I will get a sheltered experience akin to a private school which a bigger university avoids. The accom is awesome there, and being to be in it as long as you want is a real plus.

I visited Cardiff and loved the town.. I never went to University. It's near to my family (london), and buzzing.

Academically I presume St andrews would be much higher, and would have higher job prospects after school. Also, I know St Andrews is considering me as a Home Student.. I am not aware if Cardiff would consider me int. or home, and they haven't even got back to me on that.

All in all I'm pretty sure about St. As.. so should I cancel my Cardiff and firm it?

Speak now or forever hold your peace...
peerbong
I never visited St Andrews, but I feel like it is a wonderful place from what I have heard. I get an MA at the end, and feel the course is top notch.

Just thought I'd make sure you knew the Scottish MA is not a real masters (postgraduate) degree, but just an undergraduate one with the antiquated title. It's one of those little things where it's better safe than sorry, hence the mention.
Reply 2
Thanks for telling me Caspar.. It's still an extra year though so I suppose it trumps an English BA.
What makes you say that?
Reply 4
Just reading some posts, plus the fact that I believe you can leave after 3 years and have an ordinary BA..

Latest

Trending

Trending