The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

GCSE for applying to unis

I'm hoping to be predicted A*A*A or A*AA in my alevels, but my GCSEs are not the greatest at 988876654 (my English were the two 8s and 7 for maths). I'm hoping to applying for St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and others that i already have offers for. Do you think its possible i will still get accepted to these unis? St andrews is literally my dream uni and i just want to know if i have a chance, im also part of the widening access programme
Original post by Elliee.o
I'm hoping to be predicted A*A*A or A*AA in my alevels, but my GCSEs are not the greatest at 988876654 (my English were the two 8s and 7 for maths). I'm hoping to applying for St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and others that i already have offers for. Do you think its possible i will still get accepted to these unis? St andrews is literally my dream uni and i just want to know if i have a chance, im also part of the widening access programme

I would say you've as good a chance of getting an offer as many other A*AA / A*A*A candidates. Your Maths and English GCSEs are great (which is often what unis focus on most). Where you could theoretically come unstuck is if any of those lower grades were in subjects which were key to your chosen degree course; but I suspect that's not the case.

Have you checked the GCSE entry requirements for your course at those three unis? What St Andrews has to say about GCSEs generally is, "We do not require a minimum number of GCSE A* grades from our candidates, but the overall number will be a factor when reviewing the applicant pool." (source)

For which course would you be applying?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I would say you've as good a chance of getting an offer as many other A*AA / A*A*A candidates. Your Maths and English GCSEs are great (which is often what unis focus on most). Where you could theoretically come unstuck is if any of those lower grades were in subjects which were key to your chosen degree course; but I suspect that's not the case.

Have you checked the GCSE entry requirements for your course at those three unis? What St Andrews has to say about GCSEs generally is, "We do not require a minimum number of GCSE A* grades from our candidates, but the overall number will be a factor when reviewing the applicant pool." (source)

For which course would you be applying?

I'll be applying for Ancient history, I got the 9 in History and I am predicted for an A* in that definitely. Thanks so much tho for the rest of the message you have really helped me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending