The Student Room Group

GCSE entry requirements for medicine PLEASE HELP

So as I've been spending a lot of time looking into medicine, I've noticed you need at least 5 A/A*s (so at least a 7) in 5 subjects including English and Maths. Does this have to be English Literature as well, or is language enough?

English literature is possibly my weakest subject.
Reply 1
Original post by kst_xx
So as I've been spending a lot of time looking into medicine, I've noticed you need at least 5 A/A*s (so at least a 7) in 5 subjects including English and Maths. Does this have to be English Literature as well, or is language enough?

English literature is possibly my weakest subject.

When universities mention English at GCSE it is normally in reference to English Language as English Literature it is important to note, is not a compulsory subject like Language is. If you are hesitant to trust a random user on the Student Room then there is no harm in contacting the admissions office of whichever universities you are looking at, they will be more than happy to help. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Alstair
When universities mention English at GCSE it is normally in reference to English Language as English Literature it is important to note, is not a compulsory subject like Language is. If you are hesitant to trust a random user on the Student Room then there is no harm in contacting the admissions office of whichever universities you are looking at, they will be more than happy to help. Hope this helps.

Thank you! At my school, Literature is compulsory and I found it extremely difficult.
Original post by kst_xx
I've noticed you need at least 5 A/A*s (so at least a 7) in 5 subjects including English and Maths.

where did you get this from? it varies with university.

well different uni's require different things, that website isnt entirely true but 5A/A* is a good aim anyway.

You 100% need a 6 in Maths and English Language and the rest Varies.

For Oxford you will around 10A*, Kings around 8A* and then for Imperial all you need is the 2 grade 6's and they don't care about the rest of your GCSEs, it really varies with uni's
Reply 6
Thank you!
Original post by kst_xx
Thank you!

No problemo

Ultimately just try to get as high grades as possible and make sure you get a 6 in eng lang and maths
Reply 8
Hopefully I do, my targets are all 7s, 8s and 9s but I am aiming for all 8s, hopefully a few 9s also.
Reply 9
Original post by kst_xx
Thank you! At my school, Literature is compulsory and I found it extremely difficult.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements

I would advise having a look at the collated information on Medical School GCSE requirements present on this website as well.
Reply 10
Original post by Alstair
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements

I would advise having a look at the collated information on Medical School GCSE requirements present on this website as well.

Thank you so much, that information was extremely helpful!!

Quick Reply

Latest