The Student Room Group

Medicine Gcse requirements

I got grade 4 in English language but on eng lit I got grade 5 and on the other subjects I got grade 6&7 so I don’t know if I should ask for resit or not because I want to get into medicine uni especially imperial university
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
I got grade 4 on English language and grade 5 on eng lit and on other subjects I got grade 6&7 so I don’t know if I should resit or not because I want to go to med uni especially imperial university also I’m currently studying year 12
Reply 3
Should I call the uni that I wanted to go to such as imperial (medicine)to talk about my Gcse grade requirements
If you don't meet the English language requirement you'll need to be retaking or you won't be considered at all.

Don't start earmarking med programmes until you know what your profile will be when applying. Choose selectively, You only get four picks.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
If you don't meet the English language requirement you'll need to be retaking or you won't be considered at all.

Don't start earmarking med programmes until you know what your profile will be when applying. Choose selectively, You only get four picks.

Do I’ve to resit for English language?
Original post by Sindu_07
Should I call the uni that I wanted to go to such as imperial (medicine)to talk about my Gcse grade requirements

Why? The grade requirements will be the course page of their website, so you can compare that with your actual grades.
Do I’ve to resit for English language?

If you don't meet the requirement, yes.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
If you don't meet the requirement, yes.

Ok thank you
(A related thread which gives a bit more info)

I agree, no point contacting them, you either meet the requirement or you don't. You'll need to retake to be considered there.
Reply 10
Original post by bamtutor
Why? The grade requirements will be the course page of their website, so you can compare that with your actual grades.

It’s because I got grade 4 on eng lang but on eng lit I got grade 5 and on other subjects such as sciences and maths I got grade 6&7 but the uni I wanted to go such as imperial uni only wants grade 6 on eng lang so i don’t know if I’ve to resit or not
It’s because I got grade 4 on eng lang but on eng lit I got grade 5 and on other subjects such as sciences and maths I got grade 6&7 but the uni I wanted to go such as imperial uni only wants grade 6 on eng lang so i don’t know if I’ve to resit or not

As you have already been told on the other post, if they ask for a 6, you will need a 6, so yes to resit
Reply 12
Original post by bamtutor
As you have already been told on the other post, if they ask for a 6, you will need a 6, so yes to resit

OkThank you
Useful list of entry requirements for each Medical School - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf
Reply 14
Original post by McGinger
Useful list of entry requirements for each Medical School - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

Thank you it’s really useful
I got grade 4 in English language but on eng lit I got grade 5 and on the other subjects I got grade 6&7 so I don’t know if I should ask for resit or not because I want to get into medicine uni especially imperial university

From personally experience if I was u you should 100% try and resit this summer, and try and get a 6 or above. I would not recommend resitting in year 13 (November) as u will be bombarded with a lot different things such as ucas ucat A2 content personally statement etc which will take a lot of ur time .
When I was resitting in year 12. I just did a lot of practise questions and gave them to my y11 teacher to mark and I got a 6
Reply 16
Original post by Adas1332
From personally experience if I was u you should 100% try and resit this summer, and try and get a 6 or above. I would not recommend resitting in year 13 (November) as u will be bombarded with a lot different things such as ucas ucat A2 content personally statement etc which will take a lot of ur time .
When I was resitting in year 12. I just did a lot of practise questions and gave them to my y11 teacher to mark and I got a 6

If I resit in year 13 (November) would I apply to medicine in year 13?

ill be honest, if you wanna apply do medicine you need to step it up a notch, because GCSE's compared to A levels are extremely easy and for imperial isnt the offer normally A*AA?
Reply 18
Original post by Jerry1122
If I resit in year 13 (November) would I apply to medicine in year 13?

yea u can apply for med and then u can email ur med unis and tell em that u are resitting english language , but u betta get high ucat so theres more chance of u getting and offer and not getting rejected
Also if all ur other gcses grades are high then there is less chance of rejection.
And my personal adivce is to try and resit in november and not in the summer as u will also be sitting ur alevels
I got grade 4 on English language and grade 5 on eng lit and on other subjects I got grade 6&7 so I don’t know if I should resit or not because I want to go to med uni especially imperial university also I’m currently studying year 12

I think all the universities for medicine want a grade 6 for english language or above but some only take a 5. So you will need to resit. Also you said you got grade 6 and 7 in rest, i think most unis require 6 gcses at grade 7 or above at least and some require 7 gcses. So keep that in mind. Also you said you want to go to imperial college london I think those universities require high grades as alot of people will be applying so dont just say you will apply to that. You have to apply wisely and you should apply to universities that match your grades as theres no point in applying to those that are higher than your grades as you will be rejected.
Hope that helps👍👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending