The Student Room Group

please help me asap!!!

I received my gcse results and I'm happy but I have two problems now.
I don't know if I should go to st dominics or stay at my current skl....
Or if I should change chemistry as it is really hard and I'm not sure if I'll be able to enjoy it.
Original post by tamil fever
Or if I should change chemistry as it is really hard and I'm not sure if I'll be able to enjoy it.
Oh tamil. :hugs:

It's going to be alright.:yes:

What are your plans post A Levels? That should determine what you do at Sixth Form/college.

Whether or not you stay at the school is your choice. Do you like the standard of teaching there, do you have friends there, do you like it there?

Regarding Chemistry, what did you get in your GCSE for that, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Whether or not you stay at the school is your choice. Do you like the standard of teaching there, do you have friends there, do you like it there?

Regarding Chemistry, what did you get in your GCSE for that, if you don't mind me asking?

The srandard of teaching is good but it is known to support the clever kids more so thats a con.
I have friends there and yes I don't want to leave them but going to st doms will be a entirely new start.

In chem I got 7 which is equivalent to A
Original post by 04MR17
Oh tamil. :hugs:

It's going to be alright.:yes:

What are your plans post A Levels? That should determine what you do at Sixth Form/college.

i hope it goes alright and I choose the right one:frown:
My plans are to either do med,law or forensic or become a detective
I know I need chem for these plans but is it okay for me to do subjects that I don't like as much and don't necessarily enjoy
i hope it goes alright and I choose the right one:frown:
My plans are to either do med,law or forensic or become a detective
I know I need chem for these plans but is it okay for me to do subjects that I don't like as much and don't necessarily enjoy
You're always going to have favourites.:yes:

What have you picked (or are considering) alongside chem?
Original post by 04MR17
You're always going to have favourites.:yes:

What have you picked (or are considering) alongside chem?

bio and psy
bio and psy
And you're worried you might not like them?:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
And you're worried you might not like them?:smile:

No i'm worried I might not like chem:frown:
No i'm worried I might not like chem:frown:
Oh I see, sorry I'm being a bit thick :redface:

Whichever school you go to may allow you to change subject after, say, a month, or 6 weeks; if you're not liking chemistry. It's early enough in the year where you'll be able to catch up on a different A Level without too much trouble. Check their policy first though!

@CheeseIsVeg may be able to tell you a bit more about Chemistry A Level.

This guide may also help you:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5029000

As well as this
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Chemistry
(though please note for the last link, this will largely be referring to the old specification, not the current one :frown: )
Original post by 04MR17

Whichever school you go to may allow you to change subject after, say, a month, or 6 weeks; if you're not liking chemistry. It's early enough in the year where you'll be able to catch up on a different A Level without too much trouble. Check their policy first though!

As well as this
(though please note for the last link, this will largely be referring to the old specification, not the current one :frown: )

thank you.Bu i guess i still have days to think about it.
thank you.Bu i guess i still have days to think about it.
Absolutely.:yep:
Original post by 04MR17

As well as this

Tamilll :heart: :jumphug:
CONGRATS ON THE GCSEs! I knew you would do great, you're just so amazing :love: so proud and so much love to you <3

nice set of a level plans you have there ! :yy:

It looks like you are a fan of the biological side of chemistry
I think this will work in your favour
a few parts of the chemistry a level to note are:
equilibrium, yield and mole calculations - simple maths but the understanding and wording in a question can be quite tricky but I really loved them because the maths in chemistry is just nice :yy: and the content interesting
mechanisms in organic chemistry - there are loads of them so hard to remember but they're really interesting, if you have a good teacher then you'll love it
ion tests - quite basic (badum tish :tongue: ) and really easy/fun to do= a really fun practical exam :yep:
the lab stuff is really easy and fun and would highly recommend :woo:
lots of definition in chemistry, especially for the AS part (1st year) but they are also really nice and important so you'll like them :yes:

uh that's all I can think of for now but let me know if you have any specific questions, am studying chemistry now so :dontknow:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Tamilll :heart: :jumphug:
CONGRATS ON THE GCSEs! I knew you would do great, you're just so amazing :love: so proud and so much love to you <3

nice set of a level plans you have there ! :yy:

It looks like you are a fan of the biological side of chemistry
I think this will work in your favour
a few parts of the chemistry a level to note are:
equilibrium, yield and mole calculations - simple maths but the understanding and wording in a question can be quite tricky but I really loved them because the maths in chemistry is just nice :yy: and the content interesting
mechanisms in organic chemistry - there are loads of them so hard to remember but they're really interesting, if you have a good teacher then you'll love it
ion tests - quite basic (badum tish :tongue: ) and really easy/fun to do= a really fun practical exam :yep:
the lab stuff is really easy and fun and would highly recommend :woo:
lots of definition in chemistry, especially for the AS part (1st year) but they are also really nice and important so you'll like them :yes:

uh that's all I can think of for now but let me know if you have any specific questions, am studying chemistry now so :dontknow:

thank you thank you:colondollar:
Just the word maths scares me lol
It sounds hard:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest