The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i remember there was a big uproar about Kylie having a 24 inch waist, and she's tiny, an 18 inch waist must be ridiculously small
Reply 61
That Catherine Jung lady looks like her heads been placed on a barbie.
Looks like her spine'll snap one day. Great (!)
I can see why ladies would do it to become more 'hourglass' but I honestly don't think it's worth it... What can guys do to their bodies so extreme? >.< apart from stretching their things...:rolleyes:
Reply 64
Why would you want to do that to yourself? 18 inches in nearly the same size as my biceps, your waist is going to be non existant
Reply 65
Personally it's not attractive to me. I think women should just keep their own natural hourglass shape, whatever the size. Going to the extreme of using a corset to change your bone structure and internal organ setup is too much in my opinion. You should be careful though, as I've heard a number of arguments on corsets both for and against. It's good to hear you've done your research though. You should just watch how much you actually shrink your waist. Even if it is gradual change, your bones and organs were not meant to be cramped together. Changing their setup is always dangerous.

Edit: And yes, 18 inches is WAY too much. I really think it will only be attractive to corset fetish men :wink:
OP -

Wearing the corset as much as you need to for corset training would I imagine not be good for your spine, or ribs. I've heard of people cracking ribs before through wearing a corset, them continuing wearing it and the ribs not healing properly, causing rather serious scarring to the muscles. Furthermore, as a dancer I know that flexibility is absloutly crucial to you, and I can't imagine having to spend all that time with your spine perfectly curved and possibly compressed, without being able to move any of your vertebrae can be good for that.

Just keep that in mind. Also, I really think going below a 22" waist is just getting a bit extreme to the point of unattractiveness. As numerous people have said so far, you're stunning the way you are at the moment, truely. You don't need to do this.

May I add, from wikipedia:

The volume of the lungs diminishes and the tightlacer tends to breathe intercostally &#8211; that is, with the upper portion of the lungs only, rather than the whole (see shallow breathing). Intercostal breathing is what gives the image of "heaving bosoms".[citation needed] Due to the lower portion of the lungs being used less there is often a mucosal build-up there; a slight and persistent cough is the sign of the body trying to clear this (and might also have led to the Victorian hypothesis that corsets caused tuberculosis).

Dancing is pretty strenous, and I believe the ability to breathe is generally pretty advantageous no?
Corsets are amazing, I wear mine a fair bit. I'd go down to a 24/25inch waist, but definitely no further, it just looks weird and out of proportion IMO.
Reply 68
Vice><Versa
Did you know Cathie Jung, this woman

Spoiler

has a waist of 15"?!
18" is only 3" more than that! You are going to end up with a tiny waist op but I really wouldn't want to end up with one that small. It's just like plastic surgery.

edit: put in spoiler

That is beyond revolting! eurgh, makes me queasy- it's so unnatural and very unattracive!
What happens at these "classes" anyway?:confused: For this to happen to your body?

& stop posting up picks they're seriously scary.
classes?
well i saw the word "class" somewhere :p:
Reply 72
Why the blazes would you ever want to do that to yourself?!

I have wanted to do that for ages, but I haven't really got the money (or a willing volunteer to lace me up). :frown:

Maybe one day.
This thread is making me feel a bit sick, defined waists look lovely, but when they're achieved through exercise, or erm, genetics. This whole corset training thing just looks unnatural and 18" is a bit extreme, personally I don't think a grown woman can have a waist smaller than about 24" without looking abnormal.
Reply 75

I'm really enjoying finding out what peoples opinions are on this subject. As it's something personal to me I don't think my mind will change about continuing to use my corset to change my shape - however I am interested int he size's people are giving - I have considered the size I would like to get down to for a while now, and although an 18" waist would be amazing, I'm not sure if I could really get down that small.

Perhaps 20"?

Any more opinions are welcome.

Thanks
Reply 76
La Trampa
I don't corset train but i wear mine a lot. i'd like to go down to maybe 24 inches, but that's about it. 26 would be ideal for me. i'm not one for tiny waists. good luck though, seeing as you have an aunt who trains you've got all the advice and help you need.

how long do you wear your corsets for? i've been lazy recently, only just started again.

Thank you =)

Well I wear mine all the time apart from when I'm in my dance classes or showering. If you're aiming to shrink your waist line dramatically you have to wear it all of the time.

To begin with it was a bit of a pain, but now I'm enjoyingthe feeling of wearing it - and it feels a little strange having it off.

x
Reply 77
Are you not concerned about the fact that the corsets dramatically alter the positions of your bones and internal organs? And has your GP not noticed (and expressed concern) that you're doing this?
Reply 78
Also, won't you get really hot in summer?

I much rather have my natural 29" waist than sweating in rigid material in the heat for a 26" waist
/opinion
Reply 79
Angelil
Are you not concerned about the fact that the corsets dramatically alter the positions of your bones and internal organs? And has your GP not noticed (and expressed concern) that you're doing this?

I'm not concerned. I've done my research so I know what to expect, my aunt has been corset training for years so I'm doing it safely and not rushing the process.

As far as my GP is concerned, I've not been to see one.

Latest