The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

this is in the medicine forum so im gonna assume thats what you’re interested in. do the subject you enjoy more and are more likely to get an A grade in.
Physics!
I would like to become obstetrician, and would therefore like to study medicine. I'm definitely doing chemistry and biology but unsure with my 3rd subject. I'd love to do art textiles as my 3rd but am aware that it is irrelevant to medicine. I would take it as a break subject to even out the content heavy sciences. However I dont want to limit my chances of getting into medicine. So I was thinking psychology as a 3rd, but am now worried that will be too difficult with chemistry and biology. I am also aware that I limit my chances by only taking 3 alevels ,as I know I am not capable of taking 4, with this in mind, should i take a comfortable subject or risk struggling with psychology as well?
Yes! I do Biology, Chemistry and Art - I'm hopefully going to start Medicine in September :smile:

I first chose maths, but swapped it to art after stressing over it and it's the best choice I've made. It's better to get an A in art rather than failing another subject :yep:
Do AS grades matter if you're not continuing the subject onto A2? I'm doing four subjects at the moment I'm going to drop one for this year. I want to apply for Med for unis like Cambridge, UCL, Imperial etc
Original post by melmel2345
Do AS grades matter if you're not continuing the subject onto A2? I'm doing four subjects at the moment I'm going to drop one for this year. I want to apply for Med for unis like Cambridge, UCL, Imperial etc

I did 4 subjects at the start of A levels and dropped 1 at AS level. I don’t remember using my AS grades in any of my uni applications (although it was good) so I would say it doesn’t matter. Most UK med schools require at least three As or higher at A2 so as long as you’re predicted that you’re good. Definitely do some more research! :smile:
okay so heres the deal. I am coming up to the end of my gcse and am predicted good grades in all my subjects and am not held back from doing anything for my a level at my sixth form . I have currently picked maths chem and bio as an aspiring medic but am only doing maths as i heard so many unis look favourably upon maths but i realy dont enjoy it but i know i can make good grades if i put my mind to it. I want to do chem and bio but what other subject aside from maths would you recommend aside from maths. other than chem and bio there are no subjects i particularly enjoy or hate aside from maths which i haaaaaate. thankyou for your time
thanks for your advice am seriusly reconsidering whether maths a level is for me
Original post by SagalTT3
Hi Im currently medical student at king's let me know if you want help with any questions , been there , did 5 alevels and it was alot wish I had more guidance and help and its never easy but so much more attainable with those who have done it successfully.

You seem to be negotiating the site just fine :smile:
Always good to have experienced people offering advice on the threads, but taking it off TSR is against TSR rules. If you have questions, I am sure will be happy to offer technical advice
I recently discovered the job of a psychiatrist and am interested but study English lit, history and psychology a level and am wondering how I would get into the medicine degrees with a foundation year and how to get work experience etc
Original post by Bethanybarratt
I recently discovered the job of a psychiatrist and am interested but study English lit, history and psychology a level and am wondering how I would get into the medicine degrees with a foundation year and how to get work experience etc

Have a look at Newcastle A100 (which has no science A level requirements) and Cardiff, Manchester and Dundee A104 courses, which are for people with the "wrong" A levels.
There is a thread on here about WEx, so have a read of that
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6929328
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey everyone! I'm currently in the process of applying to sixth forms with the prospect of studying Medicine in the future. For my non grammar school sixth forms I have applied for Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. However, for the one grammar school that I applied for, I have gone for Bio, Chem and Economics. Are these suitable A-Level combinations?
Thank you.
Hello :smile:

I have just started Cambridge International A-Level. For a-levels, I am doing four subjects ( biology, maths, chemistry and physics ).

I am interested in pursuing medicine course. A few universities that I am planning to apply to are Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Bristol, Kings College and Edinburgh.

I was wondering if I could change my fourth A-Level subject from Physics to Psychology. I am not a huge fan of calculations .The other three subjects is Biology, Chemistry and Maths .

Would the universities that I would like to enroll offer me a place if i do Psychology as my fourth A-Level subject ? Or do you advice me to just continue with Physics ? I know medicine course is a competitive course and its even harder for me to get in since I am an international student . Would doing Physics or Psychology increase my chances of getting in ?

Could someone give me a brief detail about the subjects, Physics and Psychology in terms of the content and examinations ? It could help me decide between these two subjects.

Should i continue my fourth A-Level subject until A2 or drop it after AS exam ?

Also, do you have any other advice that could help me with my uni application in terms of extra activities, personal statement and work experience ?

Thank you so much !!
Original post by PrithiSubatira

I have just started Cambridge International A-Level. For a-levels, I am doing four subjects ( biology, maths, chemistry and physics ).

I am interested in pursuing medicine course. A few universities that I am planning to apply to are Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Bristol, Kings College and Edinburgh.

I was wondering if I could change my fourth A-Level subject from Physics to Psychology. I am not a huge fan of calculations .The other three subjects is Biology, Chemistry and Maths .

Would the universities that I would like to enroll offer me a place if i do Psychology as my fourth A-Level subject ? Or do you advice me to just continue with Physics ? I know medicine course is a competitive course and its even harder for me to get in since I am an international student . Would doing Physics or Psychology increase my chances of getting in ?

Could someone give me a brief detail about the subjects, Physics and Psychology in terms of the content and examinations ? It could help me decide between these two subjects.

Also, do you have any other advice that could help me with my uni application in terms of extra activities, personal statement and work experience ?

Thank you so much !!

Hello! I teach on a level 3 program that is mostly made up of nurses, but I come across some that do Medicine too.

You are correct that medicine is very competitive, most universities only require 3 A levels at a good standard, but you have set the bar really high with Cambridge and Imperial. I would talk to the admissions tutors about this. I think Biology and Chemistry would be essential. The fourth A level, regardless of what it is would be worth the same number of UCAS tariff points so if the decision was made on points it wouldn't particularly matter. Psychology is considered a quasi-science subject which is why it is awarded a BSc and MSc at the next levels up (I'm just finishing my MSc now).

Being an international student is nothing to worry about, your course entry might be more expensive, but I'm sure Universities wouldn't mind some extra cash

You sound really motivated and determined, I think you will do great in your degree

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Arden University
Hello! I teach on a level 3 program that is mostly made up of nurses, but I come across some that do Medicine too.

You are correct that medicine is very competitive, most universities only require 3 A levels at a good standard, but you have set the bar really high with Cambridge and Imperial. I would talk to the admissions tutors about this. I think Biology and Chemistry would be essential. The fourth A level, regardless of what it is would be worth the same number of UCAS tariff points so if the decision was made on points it wouldn't particularly matter. Psychology is considered a quasi-science subject which is why it is awarded a BSc and MSc at the next levels up (I'm just finishing my MSc now).

Being an international student is nothing to worry about, your course entry might be more expensive, but I'm sure Universities wouldn't mind some extra cash

You sound really motivated and determined, I think you will do great in your degree

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Chemistry and biology are not essential requirements to apply for medicine, though we do advise people do both to keep the most options open.

Again, no medical schools requires 4 A-levels and there are only two or three where it would be of any advantage whatsoever, and many more where the additional pressure of a medicine application and four A-levels leading to a dropped grade would be catastrophic. OP only needs to sit three A-levels, which, ideally should be chemistry, biology, and if wishing to apply to Cambridge, maths or physics. For any other med school the third subject is irrelevant.

For medicine, being an international student is a very difficult situation, as universities are given a cap on the number of international places they are allowed to offer and for many med schools that is in single digits
Original post by PrithiSubatira

Thank you so much !!

Biology, chemistry, and maths will meet the subject requirements for all medical schools so it doesn't matter what your fourth subject is. I did 4 subjects but I always told myself that if my grades started to suffer in the other 3 subjects, I would drop my fourth. I would say only continue with your fourth subject if you like the subject, it doesn't get in the way of the other 3 subjects, and you still have time for admissions test practise and interview prep.
I'm on course to finish my first year of A-levels within the next few months (studying computer science, biology, maths and history), and I've started researching into potential university courses. Originally, I had my heart set on computer science. However, over the past year I've realised it wasn't for me, and I'm now more interested in studying a medical degree.

I don't study chemistry, so gaining an undergraduate degree in medicine would be nearly impossible. On the other hand, I've heard that it's possible to study postgraduate medicine with a bioscience related degree. Would this still need A-level chemistry, and if so, are there any other ways into medicine, or is it possible in some way to gain a chemistry qualification.
Currently deciding which a-levels I want to do, I know that most med schools want maths, chem and bio but I want to do a fourth. I love writing so it is between english, history, theology and philosophy. If anyone has any experience with these and with medicine, which would you recommend? which would give me the best chance of getting into medicine at uni? any advice welcome :smile:
Original post by phillip_a9000
I'm on course to finish my first year of A-levels within the next few months (studying computer science, biology, maths and history), and I've started researching into potential university courses. Originally, I had my heart set on computer science. However, over the past year I've realised it wasn't for me, and I'm now more interested in studying a medical degree.

I don't study chemistry, so gaining an undergraduate degree in medicine would be nearly impossible. On the other hand, I've heard that it's possible to study postgraduate medicine with a bioscience related degree. Would this still need A-level chemistry, and if so, are there any other ways into medicine, or is it possible in some way to gain a chemistry qualification.

With biology and maths, you could apply to the med schools that don't require chemistry - there's more than you think. If you want to expand your options, the best thing you could do is an A level in chemistry. Graduate entry medicine is very difficult to get into - it's more competitive, it requires higher admissions test scores, and it is more expensive than getting in the standard way.
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2701/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools-2021.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending