The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Also, shall I consider that admission in Qxford is more difficult than Cambridge? Or vice versa.
Original post by Pawan.Rathore
@becausethenight thanks for your useful insight. what’s your advise in this case. Which four options I should consider?

Well you haven’t said what your GCSEs and predicteds actually are, and you don’t have your UCAT yet :tongue: Come back when you do and post in here, then we can help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038&p=95186724&page=236#post95186724 After all, you could apply to the ‘least competitive’ uni by numbers but you’d still be rejected if they ask for a 7 in Maths and you have a 6.

Again, Oxford is numbers-wise more competitive than Cambridge, but if you love Oxford and have the GCSEs and likely BMAT score you may as well apply as you could well interview? Plus, you need to actually like the university!
Thanks ecolier. I don’t want to drop Art & Design as it offer a good distraction and helps me in focusing more on my core Bio, Chem & Maths subjects. I like writings essays that’s why thinking of EPQ in Biology. Between Cambridge and Oxford which university will offer higher chances of getting admission. Consider meeting all criteria (High GCSE score, High BMAT score, High A level score). There must be a probability of succeeding one over other.

That's a good reason to continue Art and Design. I took further maths back in the day simply because I enjoyed the class, believe it or not.

I'd be cautious of the workload though and consider not doing the EPQ. Don't forget the raw amount of work just applying to medicine is - researching unis, personal statement, BMAT, UCAT, preparing for interview and interviews themselves. I compare it to doing about half an extra A-level, if you're doing it well.

Numerically Oxford is more competitive than Cambridge. Some numbers here https://public.tableau.com/profile/alec6322#!/vizhome/UKmedicalschoolapplicationratios2017-19/DomesticApplicanttoOfferRatio
Original post by kasig195
Please help, I can't decide between the both of these. I know RS migh fair better than computing but, which one will help me the most in medicine. Please anyone help!!!!

Hey there! This is a great question, and certainly one others will also be wondering.

It seems intuitive to think that med schools would prefer computing because perhaps it is as perceived as 'harder' or 'more academic', and while you may think these things are true, it is really important to look specifically at what the medical schools are explicitly asking for. If they don't say on their website that they prefer RS or CompSci, then don't worry that they will look down on it! You can only go off the requirements they explicitly state they look at. Evidence check all your assumptions.

In regards to which will help you the most in your medical degree itself, both will be mildly of use, to generally broaden your academic and philosophical horizons, but neither are in any means essential.

James 😊
Y2 Oxford Medical Student
Medic Mind
(edited 2 years ago)
Also, shall I consider that admission in Qxford is more difficult than Cambridge? Or vice versa.

Hey @Pawan.Rathore

Okay, so this is a question that I was ofc very interested in a couple years ago.
Effectively the understanding I came to was that it is harder to get an interview at Oxford, because they interview a lesser proportion of applicants. But, the flip side of this is that if you can get yourself an interview at Oxford, you will be more likely to get a place than at Cambridge, because the pool of applicants you are competing against is way smaller.
Ultimately, if you look good on paper, go for Oxford, if you look less good on paper, but you back yourself at interview, then Cambridge is a better bet. Ofc this is all just my opinion. The evidence basis for this advice is shaky at best.

Ofc, I wholeheartedly recommend Oxbridge medicine. It is a truly unique and remarkable experience. Truth be told, it doesn't matter which you aim for much, but Oxford is way more fun. The city is bigger, with a more vibrant student community (Oxford Brookes is another a major university). It is also way more romantic and beautiful in my opinion, think of the Rad Cam, Tom Tower, All Souls, Magdalen bridge and Christ Church Meadows. But at the end of the day both are beautiful.

James 😊
Medic Mind
(edited 2 years ago)
Is Biology, Chemistry and English Lit a good combination for applying to Medicine courses?
For most unis, yes, but some unis like Oxbridge require you to take a third science if you want to apply there
Original post by chimchihiro
Is Biology, Chemistry and English Lit a good combination for applying to Medicine courses?

Yes, it's fine for all medical schools except Cambridge. has made a thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 for these kinds of queries, which also includes all current requirements for GMC accredited medical schools in the UK in the original post.

Original post by Rithika1
For most unis, yes, but some unis like Oxbridge require you to take a third science if you want to apply there

Only Cambridge requires a third STEM subject (physics or maths), Oxford does not :smile:
Also, it is not all colleges at Cambridge, only a select few.

James 😊
Medic Mind
Original post by Medic Mind
Also, it is not all colleges at Cambridge, only a select few.

James 😊
Medic Mind

I think a 3% chance of success without 3 sciences means you can pretty much consider it a requirement 😊

Original post by Medic Mind
Ultimately, if you look good on paper, go for Oxford, if you look less good on paper, but you back yourself at interview, then Cambridge is a better bet. Ofc this is all just my opinion. The evidence basis for this advice is shaky at best.

I'd suggest its more complicated than that.

Firstly, no one knows how many Cambridge interview - not even Cambridge themselves. They don't collect centralised data on it, and they acknowledge it 'varies between courses' - I suspect that for courses with more applicants than average, they interview fewer.

Secondly, the difference is perhaps smaller than you might think. Lets take the oft-cited '75%' interview rate as a conservatively high estimate - that would make the chance of success following Cambridge interview about ~34%, versus Oxford's ~40% (from here). So a 6% absolute chance of it making a difference.

Thirdly, you have to remember that Oxford interviews a lot more thoroughly than Cambridge. Oxford typically does 3-5 interviews over 2 days, whereas Cambridge typically does 1-2 interviews in a single day (I understand). At Oxford there are colleges that only consider interview performance in making offers - that is a lot less likely at Cambridge.

So I'm really not sure where I'd apply if I believed I were poor at Oxbridge style interviews. Probably neither!
Original post by nexttime

Firstly, no one knows how many Cambridge interview - not even Cambridge themselves. They don't collect centralised data on it, and they acknowledge it 'varies between courses' - I suspect that for courses with more applicants than average, they interview fewer.

Secondly, the difference is perhaps smaller than you might think. Lets take the oft-cited '75%' interview rate as a conservatively high estimate - that would make the chance of success following Cambridge interview about ~34%, versus Oxford's ~40% (from here). So a 6% absolute chance of it making a difference.

Thirdly, you have to remember that Oxford interviews a lot more thoroughly than Cambridge. Oxford typically does 3-5 interviews over 2 days, whereas Cambridge typically does 1-2 interviews in a single day (I understand). At Oxford there are colleges that only consider interview performance in making offers - that is a lot less likely at Cambridge.

So I'm really not sure where I'd apply if I believed I were poor at Oxbridge style interviews. Probably neither!

Back when I was applying, I felt Oxford probably placed more emphasis on the interview. Seemed to me like Oxford used GCSE+BMAT to decide who to interview, at which point interview became the most important factor? Whereas I felt Cambridge post-interview weighed up the whole application including AS Level marks etc. I haven't kept up to date at all with how selection works these days though.
Reply 3032
Original post by nexttime

Cambridge - for Home students, around 80% get an interview, but only 17% of all applicants got an offer in 2020 (1,800 applicants, 300 offers, 295 acceptances), although I think the ratio is better for Home than International. They basically interview anyone they believe might get A*A*A, so actually the interview to offer rate is a lot lower than Oxford. The number of Cambridge applicants has been rising for years now:
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 23.05.48.png
Original post by TCL
Cambridge - for Home students, around 80% get an interview, but only 17% of all applicants got an offer in 2020 (1,800 applicants, 300 offers, 295 acceptances), although I think the ratio is better for Home than International. They basically interview anyone they believe might get A*A*A, so actually the interview to offer rate is a lot lower than Oxford. The number of Cambridge applicants has been rising for years now:
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 23.05.48.png

So I've calculated numbers based on linked FOI requests which are domestic-specific and Cambridge's own estimate of 75% (not 80%), which they say varies by course.

You point out that Cambridge applicants are rising in numbers. That both doesn't mean the interview to offer ratio will be rising, as they may just interview less (as they hint when they say it varies by course), and will be true of Oxford too.

So I'm not really sure what you think are wrong about my numbers.
I’m from Canada, 22 years old and just found out ill be eligible for student loans as the spouse of a UK citizen in 2024! I thought it was impossible until now. I will be taking my GCSE’s and A-levels as I didn’t take enough science based subjects in Canadian high school. I have a couple questions I’m hoping for some help with :smile: I desperately want to attend the University of Manchester so I don’t have to relocate, I also really love the campus and school itself.

1. How should I take GCSE’s and A-levels? Does it make a difference how long it takes me to finish or how many I take at once? I’m considering just paying for a course online, then sitting the exams privately. Will this negatively affect my application?

2. I have to work full-time as well. If I switch to a job in caring or anything health care related, is this a high level of experience? Any job recommendations. Anything above minimum wage is suitable! :P

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Lafaith
I’m from Canada, 22 years old and just found out ill be eligible for student loans as the spouse of a UK citizen in 2024! I thought it was impossible until now. I will be taking my GCSE’s and A-levels as I didn’t take enough science based subjects in Canadian high school. I have a couple questions I’m hoping for some help with :smile: I desperately want to attend the University of Manchester so I don’t have to relocate, I also really love the campus and school itself.

1. How should I take GCSE’s and A-levels? Does it make a difference how long it takes me to finish or how many I take at once? I’m considering just paying for a course online, then sitting the exams privately. Will this negatively affect my application?

2. I have to work full-time as well. If I switch to a job in caring or anything health care related, is this a high level of experience? Any job recommendations. Anything above minimum wage is suitable! :P

Thank you! :smile:

I’m not an expert on grad applications at all, but the order you do GCSEs and A levels in shouldn’t really matter as long as it’s all within the requirements a uni sets out (eg A levels over 2 years only). I’d definitely get in touch with Manchester (and other schools you apply to - medicine is hugely competitive so if you can it is better to apply to 4 schools) just to confirm everything will be suitable.

I don’t think working in healthcare is a direct advantage for admissions, but it has soft advantages like facilitating work experience (as you can just ask doctors you work with) and sounding good at interview. You can have a look at the NHS Jobs website, probably something like a healthcare assistant role, phlebotomist sort of thing?
Original post by becausethenight
I’m not an expert on grad applications at all, but the order you do GCSEs and A levels in shouldn’t really matter as long as it’s all within the requirements a uni sets out (eg A levels over 2 years only). I’d definitely get in touch with Manchester (and other schools you apply to - medicine is hugely competitive so if you can it is better to apply to 4 schools) just to confirm everything will be suitable.

I don’t think working in healthcare is a direct advantage for admissions, but it has soft advantages like facilitating work experience (as you can just ask doctors you work with) and sounding good at interview. You can have a look at the NHS Jobs website, probably something like a healthcare assistant role, phlebotomist sort of thing?

Hi thanks for your reply! I'm not a graduate, just applying to standard entry in 2024. Ill be applying for healthcare roles and confirming which GCSEs and A levels are suitable. Thank you again :smile:
Reply 3037
Original post by Lafaith
Hi thanks for your reply! I'm not a graduate, just applying to standard entry in 2024. Ill be applying for healthcare roles and confirming which GCSEs and A levels are suitable. Thank you again :smile:

Do you know that Manchester does an A104 course - medicine for applicants with the "wrong" A levels? It may be worth asking whether your qualifications are sufficient for that course. The best place to get advice from is the Manchester Admissions team - I suggest you email them with your qualifications and check what they would want.
Will I be at a disadvantage for applying to medicine if I don’t have Biology at A2?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending