The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you have screenshots of the notifications you're getting - it would be really helpful. :yy:
Feedback

If I'm being quoted in a post, I don't also need a notification telling me that there is also a new post in that same thread I'm watching.
i.e. 2 notifications for one post.
I'd prefer you kept the quote rather than the new post notification.

Same applies to mentions.
Original post by 04MR17
Feedback

If I'm being quoted in a post, I don't also need a notification telling me that there is also a new post in that same thread I'm watching.

Can you let me know which one is coming first?

I think if you get the quote after the new post notification and you haven't gone in the thread you'll still get two because we can't undsend a notification - this is something that we have to think about.
Original post by ab173
I have an issue with the new thread pages but I don't wanna go off topic here

You can upload feedback on the new thread pages here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5602196&page=6
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Can you let me know which one is coming first?

I think if you get the quote after the new post notification and you haven't gone in the thread you'll still get two because we can't undsend a notification - this is something that we have to think about.
I get the quote first. By a matter of nanoseconds, the notifications arrive together, but the quote is listed as the older notification. If there was a way for a thread to be switched off new post notifications for a user with an unread quote or mention notification, and for the script to allow the new post notifications to continue once that quote or notification was read, that'd be lovely.
Reply 45
Original post by 04MR17
Feedback

I got the same problem too since yesterday.
Original post by Court Jester
You can upload feedback on the new thread pages here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5602196&page=6

Thanks
If you have screenshots of the notifications you're getting - it would be really helpful. :yy:

I can't screenshot on private mode. But I don't need notifications for new posts in all my watched threads.
Tbh, I'm finding it quite intrusive.

With my former activities on the site as part of the ST there's thousands of threads I'm watching so I could potentially be inundated with notifications if this was coming from all threads rather than just the recent ones I'm watching.

sometimes when new posts are made I'll have a look, if not I'll ignore it or stop watching the thread from the watched threads menu. Is this the beginning of the end of the watched threads menu on the sidebar?
Original post by moonkatt

sometimes when new posts are made I'll have a look, if not I'll ignore it or stop watching the thread from the watched threads menu. Is this the beginning of the end of the watched threads menu on the sidebar?

NOPE - this isn't the beginning of anything yet. We just want to see how it works. This is a separate thing from the widget.
NOPE - this isn't the beginning of anything yet. We just want to see how it works. This is a separate thing from the widget.

Ok cool, I like using the widget tbh. I imagine some of the popular chat threads (which I don't involve myself in) might really bombard people with notifications though.
Original post by moonkatt
Ok cool, I like using the widget tbh. I imagine some of the popular chat threads (which I don't involve myself in) might really bombard people with notifications though.

Yeah so do I - the widget is helpful :h:

Yes, if we think watched thread notifications are useful we'd need to make them properly customisable so that people can easily turn them on and off as required.
Yeah so do I - the widget is helpful :h:

Yes, if we think watched thread notifications are useful we'd need to make them properly customisable so that people can easily turn them on and off as required.

Tbh, something like this would have been helpful when I was an SL and watching some problem threads. It needs to be well customisable I agree, with the option to turn them off for threads or all together.
Don’t like it. If I want to look at the posts on watched threads, I’ll click on them via the watched threads bit on the homepage. Don’t need a seperate notification.
Original post by Andrew97
Don’t like it. If I want to look at the posts on watched threads, I’ll click on them via the watched threads bit on the homepage. Don’t need a seperate notification.

This^
We already have features in place for us to look at our watched threads when we want. This, I find really intrusive. Too many notifications.
Reply 55
I disabled automated thread-watching, can't remember how.
Reply 56
Original post by richy8888
Thanks for this.

We do run across two different development teams here and whilst we do try to keep ourselves aligned, sometimes things do slip through for which we can only apologise.

It might seem like a lot of occasions for you, but when you consider how many different pieces of feedback we receive, the percentage is probably very very small indeed.

Hi, here's a list of TSR staff members that I recall having had conversations with about this bug over the last 2.5 years:

Pickles
MonkeyFish
Dez
Captain Jack
BlinkyBill
Fox Corner
The Learn Ranger
Amusing Elk
MdE77
QA1

If there is a lack of allignment between the development teams then assuming that a bug hasn't been raised before without communication first doesn't seem like a good idea IMO.
Woke up to 43 notifs! :eek: Was flipping terrified! :colondollar:
Don't really mind the function as long as I can switch it off for most threads. Also, I didn't get a notif if I didn't clear the thread from my 'watched' list and someone posted then, which was good.
Not sure if I should flag this up but sometimes, the notif isn't marked as read, even after I've clicked on it and posted on that thread. It's not a huge problem and only really seems to happen with CTAM (and associated) threads. :dontknow:

Screenshots

Original post by Sinnoh
I disabled automated thread-watching, can't remember how.

On the webpage, roll over your profile pic on the blue bar thing, then 'My TSR' then 'Account' then 'Edit my account options' and then it's a drop-down menu in 'Messaging and Notification' :wink: (idk why I quoted you :tongue:)
- Let us know how many notifications you are getting
5 from new posts

- How many threads you're watching
20 threads

- As much feedback as possible - what do you think would be useful? Weird bugs? Etc.?
This feature is not very useful and quite annoying as we see when new posts are made on watched threads in the home page anyways so it is better to see when reps and quotes are given specifically in the notifications tab only.

Latest

Trending

Trending