The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh yes ... what is his/her name?

You can then "I was there".

EDIT: Just go for the weekend ???
Surely Uni is more important seeing as you're paying for it?
You will have a long Christmas holiday in December/January, why not go to Spain then instead of missing out on tuition that you are paying for? You will also fall behind in work if you skip Uni for a long amount of time. Lectures are easy to miss, but seminars and tutorials are not, and the teachers will not be sympathetic in helping you catch up with the work if you're swanning off to Spain visiting family rather than on your sick bed which is the only place you should be if you're missing valuable class contact time.
Reply 3
To be honest, I know I am paying for uni but the chance to see my first nephew or neice is much more important to me than money and I'm hardly 'swanning' of to Spain thank you very much. I'd work as hard as possible to catch up with the work I missed, I was just asking how unis feel about this. Thanks.
what uni ya go to?
Reply 5
I'll be starting at LJM in September.
Reply 6
It's obviously going to depend on how long you plan on staying away.
Reply 7
zanejamal
It's obviously going to depend on how long you plan on staying away.

3-5 days is what my parents are thinking of :smile: I'd understand if it was like a family holiday but I'm desperate to see the baby! As I won't see it a lot anyway once it's born :frown:
Belle-x
To be honest, I know I am paying for uni but the chance to see my first nephew or neice is much more important to me than money and I'm hardly 'swanning' of to Spain thank you very much. I'd work as hard as possible to catch up with the work I missed, I was just asking how unis feel about this. Thanks.

And I was merely replying that you wont get much sympathy or help in catching up in your studies, as Unis are very much about independence and taking responsibility for your own studies anyway. "How Unis feel about this" is not really an issue as they can't stop you from going away, it will just be frowned upon as it could be rearranged for another time in the near future.

Surely you can wait until Christmas holidays before going abroad, its only gonna be a matter of a couple of weeks difference? Your nephew/niece will still be there a couple of weeks later.
Unless you have any compulsorary, registered lectures or seminars etc then they wont even know and you wont have to ask permission or anything of the sort id have thought (unless a deadline falls in that time) and to be honest, the amount of people who usually turn up to my lectures is a joke. So as long as you do any work you miss, no problemo. Lecture notes are put up for us online here, so you can give them a read over when you are there if you have net access.
ahh dont know anyone who goes there, i cant see them having a huuuuge stress about it, but i guess it depends on how long you plan to go for and if you have coursework around this time or any important exams in jan, best thing is to ask them :smile:

ps...congrats on becoming an aunt
Belle-x
3-5 days is what my parents are thinking of :smile: I'd understand if it was like a family holiday but I'm desperate to see the baby! As I won't see it a lot anyway once it's born :frown:

What is it if its not a family holiday then? A business trip?
Reply 12
Belle-x

Why not just go for a weekend ?
Reply 13
sophisticated
And I was merely replying that you wont get much sympathy or help in catching up in your studies, as Unis are very much about independence and taking responsibility for your own studies anyway. "How Unis feel about this" is not really an issue as they can't stop you from going away, it will just be frowned upon as it could be rearranged for another time in the near future.

Surely you can wait until Christmas holidays before going abroad, its only gonna be a matter of a couple of weeks difference? Your nephew/niece will still be there a couple of weeks later.

I can't go at Christmas as my brother and his wife are going to another part of Spain to stay with her parents. The next time I'd probably get chance, if I was to wait for a holiday, would be Easter and that's far too long :frown: I don't mind if I don't get sympathy, I don't want sympathy and I will catch up the best I possibly can.
Reply 14
no uni will even notice if you're away for only 3-5 days
10zs
no uni will even notice if you're away for only 3-5 days

I agree
I was away in France for a week - only friends noticed and some tutors noticed too due to their registers but not a big deal.
Reply 16
Go in reading week.
Reply 17
One of my mates at my last uni disappeared and went home for more than a full teaching week and I really don't think anyone important noticed / cared?
I don't really know why Sophisticated is getting so aggressive about it!! It's seriously not a big deal, and if you're only going for a few days then you could easily just be ill. All I'd say is make sure you copy up lecture / seminar notes when you get back!!
xx
Reply 18
sophisticated
Surely Uni is more important seeing as you're paying for it?
You will have a long Christmas holiday in December/January, why not go to Spain then instead of missing out on tuition that you are paying for? You will also fall behind in work if you skip Uni for a long amount of time. Lectures are easy to miss, but seminars and tutorials are not, and the teachers will not be sympathetic in helping you catch up with the work if you're swanning off to Spain visiting family rather than on your sick bed which is the only place you should be if you're missing valuable class contact time.

University more important than family?

Eh. :s-smilie:
I just think that her attitude of "I have to take this time off because I really want to" is a little childish and not the attitude I would expect from someone at University, especially as the trip could be taken a mere couple of weeks later in the holidays.

I know I couldn't get away with missing Uni contact hours without being noticed....in my tutorials and seminars a register is taken in every single one, and assessed work is handed in (there are penalties if you don't) and sometimes group presentations are done where my contribution is important.

Latest

Trending

Trending