The Student Room Group

Special Considerations A-levels

I have recently been diagnosed with a type of rare tumour that is growing on my sympathetic chain of nerves in my neck. The doctors are keen to remove it as soon as possible which happens to be around march time but they have warned me that there is a great risk for nerve damage. Before this was confirmed, they believed it to be Hodgkin's Lymphoma which was obviously a great stressor and led to many hospital appointments, meaning i missed a lot of class time. Even now that it has been confirmed that it is not cancerous, I am still attending many hospital appointments and so, missing even more class time. My tumour is also leading to many symptoms, one of which is fatigue and tiredness. This has obviously also affected my studies.
I am sitting my A-level exams in May and i have coursework that makes up for half my grade for Product Design due at the end of easter. My school has recommended that i apply for special considerations. Would anyone be able to tell me what sort of thing i would get and/or if it would be worth it? If there is anything else that anyone believes would be beneficial it would be much appreciated!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Emi11
I have recently been diagnosed with a type of rare tumour that is growing on my sympathetic chain of nerves in my neck. The doctors are keen to remove it as soon as possible which happens to be around march time but they have warned me that there is a great risk for nerve damage. Before this was confirmed, they believed it to be Hodgkin's Lymphoma which was obviously a great stressor and led to many hospital appointments, meaning i missed a lot of class time. Even now that it has been confirmed that it is not cancerous, I am still attending many hospital appointments and so, missing even more class time. My tumour is also leading to many symptoms, one of which is fatigue and tiredness. This has obviously also affected my studies.
I am sitting my A-level exams in May and i have coursework that makes up for half my grade for Product Design due at the end of easter. My school has recommended that i apply for special considerations. Would anyone be able to tell me what sort of thing i would get and/or if it would be worth it? If there is anything else that anyone believes would be beneficial it would be much appreciated!

i think you can apply for extenuating circumstances which means your marks may be bumped up by 2%, you can also apply
for unis and tell them your circumstances so you get a contextual offer. The 2% marks don’t make a huge difference but it could be helpful regardless, and making the unis aware of your situation will help you to have a greater consideration if your results don’t go to plan.
Reply 2
Original post by greentiger
i think you can apply for extenuating circumstances which means your marks may be bumped up by 2%, you can also apply
for unis and tell them your circumstances so you get a contextual offer. The 2% marks don’t make a huge difference but it could be helpful regardless, and making the unis aware of your situation will help you to have a greater consideration if your results don’t go to plan.

My uni applications have already gone off and i've got 5/5 offers, one of which is unconditional!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Emi11
My uni applications have already gone off and i've got 5/5 offers, one of which is unconditional!

If you really like the unconditional offer university, i would firm that one because then you know you’re off to uni regardless of what you achieve which should take a weight off your shoulder with everything you’ve had going on.

If not I would definitely use it as your insurance because again, it means either way you’ll be off to university. Less stress the better, it may still be worth at least applying for the 2% marks though as It may make all the difference to a grade boundary.

Quick Reply

Latest