The Student Room Group

What exactly should I do for the SJT exam given...

...I'd only have about a week to prepare for it?

The reason for that is because I have to take the USMLE step 1 exam at the end of December, and I'll be fully occupied with that until then which would leave me with only a week or so to spare for SJT prep before taking the test in January.

Fortunately though, my top-ranked regional choices aren't especially competitive and my EPM isn't bad which I think leaves me with a fair cushion for this exam. I'd be happy with a score >30.

How difficult would it be to achieve that with the time I'd have and what exactly should I be focusing on/doing during that week? I'd be very grateful for any insight here.
Reply 1
To be fair I think a week of solid work should be enough for this exam. Concentrate on the official past papers, pick out themes and read around the questions and those themes- like if you don't understand an answer then find out why its the answer usually by looking at an official source like 'good medical practice' or 'duties of a doctor'. I didn't use question banks or go on any courses as I had heard mixed messages about those from previous years. In all honesty, the SJT is very varied and I don't think there is a linear relationship between work done and score. A little bit of work gives a big improvement in score, I think, and then the more you do the more you start second-guessing your answers. Good luck with SJT and Step 1, I'm sure you will be fine!
Reply 2
Yeah a week is plenty. The sum total of my revision for the SJT was doing the practice papers 3 times, and working through the answers each time. I got a decent score so can't've been too bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending