The Student Room Group

Don't know how to discover what I want to do in the future.

Hey all,
I'm really struggling with figuring out what I want to do in the future, I'm in year 11 right now (i know, i know Iv'e got time) but I really have no clue. Like I'm drawing a blank.
I've never had that specific THING that most of my friends and people have, not really had a life goal except real vague ones like, be a good person etc.
I enjoy art but I'm losing interest slowly and I need something that I can pursue for a career or even just an inkling of what to do for A levels and the like.

Does anyone know any ways I can figure out what I enjoy, what's my calling, what I'd like to do for a career etc? Any events or groups I can join, or any specific things I can do to gain experience and my likes/dislikes?
Reply 1
I can really relate to this
Reply 2
It’s hard and to tell you the truth I’ve now picked something to take at uni that I don’t necessarily like and it’s hard especially if, like me, a lot of your friends seem to be passionate about things and you feel so unmotivated and u interested by everythrinf
im in yr 12 and i still have no clue
I'm struggling with this too and although I'm younger than you, I really do relate.
Reply 5
Original post by wordsandroses
It’s hard and to tell you the truth I’ve now picked something to take at uni that I don’t necessarily like and it’s hard especially if, like me, a lot of your friends seem to be passionate about things and you feel so unmotivated and u interested by every

honestly thats one of my fears, being stuck in a subject that i don't like for years, and spending that much money on it too
Don’t panic I didn’t figure out what I wanted to do with my life until early this year (just before my 19th birthday) and am now working towards getting there, I saw a documentary about Palaeontology/Evolutionary biology and while watching it I thought this is it this is what I want to do, you’ll figure it out at the most random time or you might test out a few things before finding something that you want to do, you don’t have to go to university straight away and with picking a levels or a college course it isn’t the end of the world if you find a degree you want to do after that requires different ones, access courses are a thing (that’s what I’m doing) don’t panic about it too much now just focus on getting through your GCSE’s and worry about the future afterwards
try reading non-fiction/ watching documentaries in different fields and some exciting job you’d love to have might crop up which u can work backwards from?
I relate to this so much :/
Reply 9
Original post by HobbinsE
Don’t panic I didn’t figure out what I wanted to do with my life until early this year (just before my 19th birthday) and am now working towards getting there, I saw a documentary about Palaeontology/Evolutionary biology and while watching it I thought this is it this is what I want to do, you’ll figure it out at the most random time or you might test out a few things before finding something that you want to do, you don’t have to go to university straight away and with picking a levels or a college course it isn’t the end of the world if you find a degree you want to do after that requires different ones, access courses are a thing (that’s what I’m doing) don’t panic about it too much now just focus on getting through your GCSE’s and worry about the future afterwards

yea i was thinking of just researching a lot about different topics and finding something that spoke to me....hasnt happened yetttt but maybe one day it might. hope your couses go well. thanks a lot x
Reply 10
Original post by sjbelkin
try reading non-fiction/ watching documentaries in different fields and some exciting job you’d love to have might crop up which u can work backwards from?

ok i'll try that, hopefully it works xx
i guess you can take test to find out what are you really good at and you can follow that!
Original post by noodleb
yea i was thinking of just researching a lot about different topics and finding something that spoke to me....hasnt happened yetttt but maybe one day it might. hope your couses go well. thanks a lot x

Thank you :smile:
Research is definitely a good idea, there’s some much out there today it’s hard to find one that stands out but looking at your options is a great place to start, you’ll find something and it will be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest