The Student Room Group

Not looking forward to uni

Hi all. I don't really know what to do. I didn't get into the uni of my choice this year, and I'm still so heartbroken about it. University starts in a week and I'm not looking forward to it at all. Any advice? :frown:
Anon,

Sometimes life does not always work out as planned but that doesn't mean that things can't work themselves out for good.

You were not planning to go to the university that you are due to start, but perhaps you are still going to get a degree in your chosen subject, you are still going to get the degree classification that you are capable of, and you are still going to get on to that postgrad course or the job that you want.

Who knows the positive differences that going to a different university might make? The people you will meet and the different opportunities you will have.

It's easy to think that if you went to a certain university then your life would be different, but you would still have to put in the hard work to get a degree, you would still have to talk to new people and go to different events and you would still have to learn to be more independent.

If you really don't want to go to the university that you are due to attend, then you don't have to go, but do think about what difference a year would make and how you could best use it to put yourself in a better position for next year.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all. I don't really know what to do. I didn't get into the uni of my choice this year, and I'm still so heartbroken about it. University starts in a week and I'm not looking forward to it at all. Any advice? :frown:

Hi Anon,

I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out the way you planned, but hopefully the replies to this thread can give you some reassurance.

While not getting into the university of your choice can be frustrating and upsetting, it is not the be-all-end-all. If you are still going to get a degree in your chosen subject, you will still be able to do well, get the degree classification you want, and progress further.

If your university of choice was your firm option, and the one you got into was your insurance (or even if this isn't the case), it might help you to remember why you applied there in the first place. Was it the city, the course, the facilities, the career prospects? You'll be able to do well here just as you would anywhere else, so try not to dwell on that too much.

You're still going to be able to have an incredible experience if you allow yourself to, and you might end up liking it more than you think, but if not, that's okay too. If you're really not happy with it, and if you do try it and find out you hate it, you can always leave. Do what is best for you, your future, and your mental health.

I hope this helps, and best of luck,
Isabella

Hi!
First of all I'm sorry you feel this way, I want to offer you some encouragement; I know numerous people who didn't get into their dream university and realised this was for the best because they settled really well at the university they got into.
If you are really unhappy with this new university you always have the option to take a gap year and reapply. However, I would say get involved with your new university's freshers events and just try your best to thrive at this university. Maybe give yourself a timeframe such as "if after a month I am still feeling this way then I'll consider other options".

Hope this is helpful! Faye :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear taht you did not get into the University that you wanted. Hopefully you have gotten into the course that you wanted?

I think you can think of reasons that you would like to join that particular University. Is it the location, the campus, the course or ranking?

If it is the location or campus, I know many Universities' have really lovely campuses that are situated in good locations. At University you will always meet a lot of new people and discover plenty of opportunities throughout your studies. Perhaps giving it a go will be a good option?

There are many people who have attended a University different to their dream University, and many have enjoyed the experience. Once you get into University, you will get an actual feel of what it is like to live and study there. Think more positively about the experiences that you may have, after all you will not know if it is the right University for you until you arrive. :smile:

Or if you are thinking more towards career aspects, it is true that your University may affect the prospects of finding a good job in the future. Perhaps you can consider the difference in ranking between the Universities?

When thinking about your career, especially if you are studying a competitive field, the right University will be quite important. If so, you can definetely think about not going to University this year and reapplying for next year. There are many things that you can do during a gap year to boost your skills and enhance your CV.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending