The Student Room Group

I completely failed my physics GCSEs: will this be a problem when studying mechanics?

I'm thinking of getting a CGP GCSE revision book for physics as a supplement for A levels. Is this necessary? If so, what topics do I need to go over?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Almost entirely no. You will generally start A Level Maths mechanics from basics - much of what you cover in maths will also be covered in physics A Level. I strongly doubt that you will be disadvantaged because you failed your physics GCSE, as A Level Maths involves an entirely different level of calculations. When I started mechanics in maths, I found my physics GCSE to be of almost no help at all (and frankly, forgot all about it).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Clarkest
Almost entirely no. You will generally start A Level Maths mechanics from basics - much of what you cover in maths will also be covered in physics A Level. I strongly doubt that you will be disadvantaged because you failed your physics GCSE, as A Level Maths involves an entirely different level of calculations. When I started mechanics in maths, I found my physics GCSE to be of almost no help at all (and frankly, forgot all about it).

Yeah me too. I didn’t fail my GCSE physics but I did dreadful in the exam. I scraped a 6 and failed literally every maths calculation in the paper because I didn’t know the equations. But you get told everything you need to know at A Level and now I know all the equations (so far) so all that gcse content is pretty irrelevant to me now
Reply 3
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
X

I agree with the sentiment of others in this thread, GCSE physics has a very stripped out version and almost abstract maths in it, you don't derive equations or know where they come from, but are told to punch in some numbers, absolutely no correlation with mehanics in physics until AS Level where you do some linear and angular motion. But you'd definitely be fine in maths
Original post by No_Basket
I'm thinking of getting a CGP GCSE revision book for physics as a supplement for A levels. Is this necessary? If so, what topics do I need to go over?

Original post by Clarkest

Quick Reply

Latest