The Student Room Group

What degree is best for this job?

I am in Year 12, currently doing four a levels, maths. further maths, physics and geography. I want to join the Royal Marines as an officer, and despite a degree not being required for this job, I would still like to pursue one. Does anyone have idea what course I should go for?
Original post by bbrother3
I am in Year 12, currently doing four a levels, maths. further maths, physics and geography. I want to join the Royal Marines as an officer, and despite a degree not being required for this job, I would still like to pursue one. Does anyone have idea what course I should go for?

Have you tried calling the recruiters and asking, is there any Navy/marine aligned OTC programs?

I know engineering is popular for those looking at Royal Engineers & Signals but know idea about Royal Marines. Id be inclined to go history where you cover modern war history (if that exists, but that is just a fairly loose thought).
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Have you tried calling the recruiters and asking, is there any Navy/marine aligned OTC programs?

I know engineering is popular for those looking at Royal Engineers & Signals but know idea about Royal Marines. Id be inclined to go history where you cover modern war history (if that exists, but that is just a fairly loose thought).

I might give that a go. I was considering engineering since my a level subjects allow me that option. History isn't one of my interests however. Is there a specific engineering course for that kind of work?
I might give that a go. I was considering engineering since my a level subjects allow me that option. History isn't one of my interests however. Is there a specific engineering course for that kind of work?

Probably mechanical.

but I doubt the skills you learn in mech-eng will be directly useful to the marines, you are really learning the science & physics behind mechanical systems. But mech-eng is a great problem solving degree regardless.

I would speak to experts. Which i am not.
Reply 4
Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and anything involving AI for up-to-date relevance - or Law for logic/brain-training.
Pick a degree with a placement or study abroad for 'added experience'.

The reply is always - do the degree that supports the second career you would take if you weren't successful in the Armed Forces. There are few officer branches that require a specific degree, but there are very many ways your military career can fail to start or be cut short, regardless of your aptitude or determination. Therefore, your degree should be your back up route is an Armed Forces career is closed to you.
Reply 6

Go for a course that is suitable for an alternative career, in case you don't make it into the Royal Marines. You should always have a backup plan.

Beware of study/placements abroad until you've checked with your local AFCO about the current residency requirements, ie how long you need to be in the UK before applying, any documents needed if you do travel abroad etc.
Reply 7
You might consider that the value of a degree has already been massively diluted to date and - in general - is becoming increasingly less valuable each year, accelerated by the rise of AI. Also bear in mind that the coming 3-5 years will be increasingly chaotic economically as the value of knowledge work collapses. By the time you finish a degree today, it is entirely possible that it will be completely worthless, beyond you growing up a little whilst at Uni. It is entirely unsersary for you to have a degree for RM officer entry, except the corps requires candidates that are able to be mature and switched on. A degree means that the candidate is older (obvs), and more likely to have something about themselves. Nothing more.

If you are able to pass the DAA and reach the required scores for YO candidate, then move forward to AIB , OSC and get a pass, younger candidates were often told at Final Selection Board that they need to come back a year or so later. However, the recruiting situation has become so bad that this is now highly unlikely and all candidates that pass OSC are likely to get a pass at FSB in June and be able to start in Sept that year.

Bear in mind that it is possible if you are in it for the long term for you to get a degree in the corps at a later stage and there are many options for education in the system.

Also bear in mind that you are unlikely to pass OSC. Whilst going to Uni and joining UOTC might seem helpful, the fact is that most of them are crap and the Corps doesn't care. A much better option at your age would be to get your head down and do all you can to pass the DAA, sort out your medical and SC checks, passing AIB then get onto OSC. You will benefit enormously from going through the experience of multiple interviews and tests. Should you fail then you have gained important experience of doing something genuinely hard and challenging that will serve you well regardless and you will have a clear idea of what you are getting into.

The officer recruitment problem means that corps commissions will become increasingly common. Failure at AIB / OSC and moving to Other Ranks would be a smart move - whilst others are at Uni, often doing something that is useless, you will be developing yourself and your skills, getting paid and building experience and have the opportunity to develop your career and education within a system that will be somewhat insulated from the economic shocks we are facing.

Young people appear caught up in thinking that a degree is your ticket to a successful future. This is simply not the case and it will be more so with each year that passes. The "Backup plan" is often nothing of the sort, instead serving to waste your time and get you indebted, when you could be doing something far more productive. The opportunity cost of a degree today is absolutely massive vs the alternatives.

Begin the process. Start the paperwork. Take up the challenge. Gain experience through the assessments. Pivot as required through the process.
Go for something you want to do for civilian life, considering your maximum service will be 24 to 25 years in the military. Everything essential to skills and education will be given by the Royal Marines themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest