The Student Room Group

you won £115M

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by paul514
You could buy things off them for an inflated price such as their house for example and they still live in it, give them a credit card in your name etc

It’s under my name though, and I will be legally responsible for anything that takes place using the credit card. Nobody would want that responsibility, and there’s a possibility of being blacklisted for doing that.
Original post by LoyaltyAb0veAll
you won £115M

No I didn't.
Dream on, you lot. Before the question of how to spend it poses itself, you'll have the much more pressing matter of where to keep it. Nobody has a matress that large and it isn't as if we can just put it in the bank. We can but that would be unwise, presumably the dosh will be held till you name a destination but where? That will be the first question in need of answering if Santa drops a packet like that down the stack next Xmas. Personally, I'd buy a lot of gold to start with but even that needs storing somewhere.

There was a movie in the 80s, titled Brewster's Millions, where a guy is left a billion (something like that) by an uncle under one condition: he must spend a hundred million within a month without owning anything by the end of it. Easier said than done.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by zhog
Dream on, you lot. Before the question of how to spend it poses itself, you'll have the much more pressing matter of where to keep it. Nobody has a matress that large and it isn't as if we can just put it in the bank. We can but that would be unwise, presumably the dosh will be held till you name a destination but where? That will be the first question in need of answering if Santa drops a packet like that down the stack next Xmas. Personally, I'd buy a lot of gold to start with but even that needs storing somewhere.

There was a movie in the 80s, titled Brewster's Millions, where a guy is left a billion (something like that) by an uncle under one condition: he must spend a hundred million within a month without owning anything by the end of it. Easier said than done.

I mean, I'd feel quite comfortable putting that into a building society account and investing some of it, I don't feel as though the banks are as prone as they were back in 2008 to fail - especially more cautious groups like credit unions and building societies. Maybe split it between different ones though to be on the safer side.
Original post by Profesh
Respectable choice; but the award is 115 million pounds. Why compromise?

Original post by quasa
why not a hurican? (hurican is the succesor to the gallardo + the sports version is a beast of a track day car)

Just always wanted to own a Gallardo ever since I was a kid :lol:
Original post by Dannyboy2015
I mean, I'd feel quite comfortable putting that into a building society account and investing some of it, I don't feel as though the banks are as prone as they were back in 2008 to fail - especially more cautious groups like credit unions and building societies. Maybe split it between different ones though to be on the safer side.

The problem being that the State guarantee only covers £100k and it would take a lot of banks and building societies to offer enough cover and we have to fear the worst when talking millions like that. Ultimately, nothing is safer than State financial products in the sense that nothing offers a safer option. Banks can go to the wall, the day the State implodes that will be game over for everything. However, that's where gold comes in as the classical safest haven because it is the one thing that has always been accepted as worth something by convention.

In all this, were a big galactic mother come and hit us the way some have in the past and a gold brick won't buy us a meal anywhere. Food and drink, the most precious commodities on earth. I'd buy a farm too, with a well.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, I don't think the state is about to implode though... :/ Although at times it may seem like it, we don't actually live in a banana republic.
Original post by Dannyboy2015
Yes, I don't think the state is about to implode though... :/ Although at times it may seem like it, we don't actually live in a banana republic.

Maybe not but the issue of banks collapsing is something real and in some other countries there have been many cases of people losing their money, instances where the government didn't chip in with public money to cover the losses. We had some major banks run aground in the UK in 08, all that is much more relevant when looking for a home for a fortune rather than for a tenner.
Reply 88
Original post by Sinnoh
This person is wise for not revealing their identity.
The first thing I would do - hire a lawyer, an accountant and change all my contact details, including getting a PO box.
What I'm trying to avoid here is the whole "This person won the lottery and 5 years later is living in a caravan with his mother" situation.

That would likely be the least of your worries. https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vo34/whats_the_happiest_5word_sentence_you_could_hear/chb38xf/?st=jqh85yoo&sh=a8e0d7d8
Anyway, if people really want to know what those with even more money are up to...

How Silicon Valley billionaires are prepping for the apocalypse...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7190377/silicon-valley-preparing-apocalypse-nuke-bunkers-new-zealand/
I'd travel the world every week, staying in boho places, visiting all the best music festivals. I'd also open a pub with endless Guinness and a variety of Belgian beer, only old school and egghead music would sound there. I'd buy a cozy eclectic house of my dreams, many exquisite musical instruments, rare editions of my favorite books. I would share a generous amount of money with my family.
lose it all on cryptocurrency.
maxresdefault.jpg
Use it to pay off my future student loans.
The couple have revealed their identity
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 94
I’d ensure my grandparents never had to worry about money again in repayment for all they’ve ever done for me.

Give my closest friends a lot.

I’d buy my parents a house so they’d finally be home owners and get out of council.

I’d invest in multiple properties. I’d buy myself a house when I was ready and ensure my brother had property for the future.

I’d donate a LOT to multiple charities, especially dog charities.

Invest a lot. Travel a lot.

And let’s be real, spend a lot on **** I don’t need.
Virtue-signalling factor gone mad, this thread. :biggrin:
Original post by zhog
Virtue-signalling factor gone mad, this thread. :biggrin:

😂

On another note, the winners did donate some of the money to charity
Original post by Obolinda
😂

On another note, the winners did donate some of the money to charity

Of course they did, imagine what the neighbours would say if they hadn't... :biggrin:
Original post by Obolinda
😂

the winners did donate some of the money to charity

Sadly, Not to my charity :frown:
am I the only one that would not donate any to charity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending