The Student Room Group

An Inspector Calls: Status and Power

Hi! My teacher will probably be reluctant to mark this so can somebody give this paragraph a grade and improvement points please. English is my weakest subject and I really want to improve:

Priestley explores the ideas of status and power through the contrast between Eva and Sheila. Priestley highlights the similarities between Sheila and Eva in that they are both 'pretty' and young women - She is in her 'early twenties'. These similarities are highlighted to emphasis on the contrats of the women's lives. For example, whilst Sheila dines with 'desert plates', Eva is 'half starved'. The contrast here is used to show the huge difference caused by class and status. The contrast is compounded by the presentation of Sheila living a very sheltered live. Upon hearing of the method of Eva's suicide, Sheila asks 'was it an accident' presenting Sheila as naive to the audience. This could be further enforced by the earlier 'pink lighting' of the stage where it looks as if the family are 'looking through rose tinted glass'. This colour imagery here is effective because it shows how the family likes to block out the harsh realities of the contemporary era thus presenting them as protected. This is compared to Eva who was forced to have sex with Eric. Eric uses a euphemism when he refers to it saying 'that's when it happened' showing what a tragic life Eva had because he cannot even say the atrocities that she had to endure. In a Partriarchal society, the fact a man cannot accept these actions emphasises this. The contrast here shows the audience how status and power predestine someone's life and the tragedy of being born in the working class. The idea of Eva being a tragic character is augmented by how she has all the virtuous qualities whereas the Birling family and Gerald are guilty of the seven deadly sins presenting Eva almost a martyr. Priestley conveys the disparity caused solely by status and power to suggest how unjust society has become as well as the prospective tragedies it will cause perhaps linking to how 'An Inspector Calls' could be a didactic or morality play attempting to teach the audience a lesson. This links to the two World Wras which were fuelled by nationalism and perhaps an inability to ingnore differences and accept community. Priestley who experienced both World Wars as well as the pst-war 1946 audience will be immensly affected by this thus making Priestley's message stronger and provoking.
Reply 1
Original post by Pravi29
Hi! My teacher will probably be reluctant to mark this so can somebody give this paragraph a grade and improvement points please. English is my weakest subject and I really want to improve:

Priestley explores the ideas of status and power through the contrast between Eva and Sheila. Priestley highlights the similarities between Sheila and Eva in that they are both 'pretty' and young women - She is in her 'early twenties'. These similarities are highlighted to emphasis on the contrats of the women's lives. For example, whilst Sheila dines with 'desert plates', Eva is 'half starved'. The contrast here is used to show the huge difference caused by class and status. The contrast is compounded by the presentation of Sheila living a very sheltered live. Upon hearing of the method of Eva's suicide, Sheila asks 'was it an accident' presenting Sheila as naive to the audience. This could be further enforced by the earlier 'pink lighting' of the stage where it looks as if the family are 'looking through rose tinted glass'. This colour imagery here is effective because it shows how the family likes to block out the harsh realities of the contemporary era thus presenting them as protected. This is compared to Eva who was forced to have sex with Eric. Eric uses a euphemism when he refers to it saying 'that's when it happened' showing what a tragic life Eva had because he cannot even say the atrocities that she had to endure. In a Partriarchal society, the fact a man cannot accept these actions emphasises this. The contrast here shows the audience how status and power predestine someone's life and the tragedy of being born in the working class. The idea of Eva being a tragic character is augmented by how she has all the virtuous qualities whereas the Birling family and Gerald are guilty of the seven deadly sins presenting Eva almost a martyr. Priestley conveys the disparity caused solely by status and power to suggest how unjust society has become as well as the prospective tragedies it will cause perhaps linking to how 'An Inspector Calls' could be a didactic or morality play attempting to teach the audience a lesson. This links to the two World Wras which were fuelled by nationalism and perhaps an inability to ingnore differences and accept community. Priestley who experienced both World Wars as well as the pst-war 1946 audience will be immensly affected by this thus making Priestley's message stronger and provoking.

Please can someone mark this.
Reply 2
Original post by Pravi29
Please can someone mark this.

Hi! Please would someone mind grading this.
I'm not great at English so I don't want to mark it as it won't be accurate, but it looks pretty good and detailed, would it be worth using paragraphs in the future though? Hopefully someone on here who knows more than I do will be able to help you out with marking it, but if not could you get your friends or others in your year who are more confident marking stuff to help out?
Reply 4
Original post by pineapple04
I'm not great at English so I don't want to mark it as it won't be accurate, but it looks pretty good and detailed, would it be worth using paragraphs in the future though? Hopefully someone on here who knows more than I do will be able to help you out with marking it, but if not could you get your friends or others in your year who are more confident marking stuff to help out?

Thnaks for the advice!
Reply 5
Original post by Pravi29
Thnaks for the advice!
This is just a sample paragraph I wrote - not a whole essay :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by pineapple04

This is just a sample paragraph I wrote - not a whole essay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending