The Student Room Group

Physics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-XhYS7FhaE
From 21:32 to 24:43, the video talks about the strong nuclear force. I might be wrong but it seems as if he is contradicting himself. at 22:37 he mentions that when they get too close together, the strong nuclear force stops bringing them together. But at 24:26 he says that we need nuclei with very high energies to fuse because when they get close enough to overcome their electrostatic repulsion,they get close enough for the strong nuclear force to attract them together,to fuse them together. So he sort of contradicted himself. SoI am not sure what point he is trying to make. Would like some help please :smile:
The force is only very short range.
When close, it is an attractive force.
When VERY close, it's repulsive - there must be a distance where the force is zero and it's a stable separation.
(That's as deep as I can go - I'm sure there are better modern theories)
Reply 2
Original post by old_teach
The force is only very short range.
When close, it is an attractive force.
When VERY close, it's repulsive - there must be a distance where the force is zero and it's a stable separation.
(That's as deep as I can go - I'm sure there are better modern theories)

Thanks! Iam getting this! Just was wondering is the strong force between two nuclei or between protons in the nucleus? Also, there is strong between quarks in mesons or baryons,is that correct? would massively appreciate your reply
If I quote from hyperphysics:
"The force between quarks is called the colour force. Since quarks make up the baryons, and the strong interaction takes place between baryons, you could say that the colour force is the source of the strong interaction, or that the strong interaction is like a residual colour force which extends beyond the proton or neutron to bind them together in a nucleus."
Keeping it simple I'd say the strong force acts between any particles made of quarks (baryons), including neutrons and protons. The explanation is I think beyond (most?) A levels and is the colour force between quarks, which is an interesting read, but I think an extension.
Hope that helps.
Reply 4
If I quote from hyperphysics:
"The force between quarks is called the colour force. Since quarks make up the baryons, and the strong interaction takes place between baryons, you could say that the colour force is the source of the strong interaction, or that the strong interaction is like a residual colour force which extends beyond the proton or neutron to bind them together in a nucleus."
Keeping it simple I'd say the strong force acts between any particles made of quarks (baryons), including neutrons and protons. The explanation is I think beyond (most?) A levels and is the colour force between quarks, which is an interesting read, but I think an extension.
Hope that helps.

Brilliant! I get it! Thanks!! But mesons are also made of quarks (a quark and an antiquark to be precise) so strong force acts between mesons too,right? Honestly really appreciate the help :smile:
Yes! The strong force acts on hadrons (mesons and baryons) but not leptons.
It's a topic with lots of names, but fun when you get all the names sorted!
Reply 6
Yes! The strong force acts on hadrons (mesons and baryons) but not leptons.
It's a topic with lots of names, but fun when you get all the names sorted!

Thank you very very much for your time! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest