The Student Room Group

University undergraduate degree

I don’t know what undergrad degree I should apply for and it’s really annoying me. I have a few options: theoretical physics, astrophysics, pure maths, applied maths or just straight physics. I don’t really know what the different is but my goal is to go into theoretical research preferably in physics so I’m looking for an undergrad degree that means I can do more theory rather than experimental stuff because that sort of bores me. At the same time I don’t know if I would rather do mathematical theory and it’s destroying me.
Original post by JonahBr
I don’t know what undergrad degree I should apply for and it’s really annoying me. I have a few options: theoretical physics, astrophysics, pure maths, applied maths or just straight physics. I don’t really know what the different is but my goal is to go into theoretical research preferably in physics so I’m looking for an undergrad degree that means I can do more theory rather than experimental stuff because that sort of bores me. At the same time I don’t know if I would rather do mathematical theory and it’s destroying me.

One thing you should know is that, in atleast the universities I know of, you can easily switch between diffrerent physics courses (sometimes only for a limited time), so if you can't decide, physics could be right. Applied maths, maybe, it pays well I think with acturial science jobs, but imo, it's more boring than pure. You are probably aware of pure's abstractness that makes it so difficult, so you may want to be aware of that long term. It seems you can switch between them at bath too (research you chosen uni for more info), but for less time that physics (within the first year rather than up to halfway through the second). All in all, I think you should weigh how much more difficult you are willing to make your uni life with how much application you are willing to give.

In my personal opinion, you should apply to thye math courses, as these will lead into theoretical physics anyway, and there is always a safe way out if you want. If you aren't willing to bend your brain that much though, go for the physics courses. Maybe also research jobs if you think that will impavct your decision (I've been using it for this exact same problem) using glassdoors and linkedin.

I hope thsi was helpful. Either way, all of the courses are great.

One last thing, should probably consider whether you can meet the entry requirments
Original post by JonahBr

Hi,

As others have said, it's generally quite easy to move between different courses within physics early on in your degree. At Lancaster for instance, physics, physics with astrophysics and theoretical physics all have a common first year so you can move between the degree schemes until the end of first year. Theoretical physics with maths has a different first year with more mathematics modules instead of practical/lab classes, so this could be more appealing to you if you're less interested in experimental physics. As mentioned above, courses will vary between universities so it's worth looking at different module catalogues at the universities you're interested in to see which courses sound most interesting to you.

One thing I've noticed studying physics is the maths you learn and use in physics is different to the maths taught as part of a maths degree. As mentioned, pure maths at university can be very different from A-level maths because it's a lot more abstract and proof-based. If that sort of maths interests you, it's worth considering maths or theoretical physics and maths as, at least in my experience, it's not studied in the same way during a physics degree.

In the end, whichever degree you choose it is likely that you will be able to pursue research in theoretical physics. Physics PhD students come from a range of undergraduate backgrounds including maths, physics and computer science so you wouldn't be at a disadvantage having studied maths rather than physics, especially for a more theoretical PhD.

Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending