The Student Room Group

Has anyone worked at Curry's/P.C.World?

I'm not a student, just looking for a job in customer services and curious if anybody has worked for P.C.World/Curry's what is the training like, is it decent training? As lots of businesses lie about how good there training is. Also, I barely know a thing about the products they sell, would they have that expectation on an applicant?
Original post by tricia.x
I'm not a student, just looking for a job in customer services and curious if anybody has worked for P.C.World/Curry's what is the training like, is it decent training? As lots of businesses lie about how good there training is. Also, I barely know a thing about the products they sell, would they have that expectation on an applicant?

My uncle did. Then he got the boot. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by thestudent33
My uncle did. Then he got the boot. :biggrin:

It would be a better answer if your uncle could reply instead then seen as he's the one who's worked there. Is that possible?
It would be a better answer if your uncle could reply instead then seen as he's the one who's worked there. Is that possible?

Lol nahh
I've moved this over to the jobs section, you are more likely to get a sensible answer here.
Reply 5

I didn’t actually for Currys PC World but I worked as a rep in one of their store for just under 2 years. Based on what I saw, their training is very much on the first few weeks on the job. I believe that you do get sent to shadow another colleague in a different store early on too. I would think that they expect applicants to know at least a little bit about the different types of technology that they sell (Laptops, TV’s, White goods etc.) I think a lot revolves around the manager of the store. As a career not so sure, more of a job that people do for a few years to gain experience. Hope this helps!

I personally worked for them for a year and got fired just before Christmas just gone, I worked on the computer department. I'm going to be honest with you now... Avoid them like the plague, unless you're willing to rip customers off just to hit their unachievable targets... Each day a briefing will focus on the negatives, how different departments are not meeting targets and need to explain the benefits to customers to hit them. You never feel appreciated for the work you do.

Working on computers, you're forced to hard sell setups, software including anti-virus, microsoft office and cloud, then try and sell them the careplan on top... Then talk to them about switching broadband... you're pressured and told to do better and explain the benefits to customers... Customers are not always going to want care or software or setups. Sometimes you have to discount just to hit targets. It's not about what you can do for the customer but what you can do for the companies targets day in day out.

The company has a lot of what I should say underhanded tactics that would be very questionable if trading standards were made aware. The training is done on the computer where you learn about a lot of products. Pay is minimal wage, but you can get an extra £5-£12 an hour if you sale broadband packages.. However this very hard to get at times and you only get half an hour break or an hour if under 18... Shifts can be very long at times as well.

I wouldn't recommend working for them, unless you feel comfortable being underhanded and dishonst.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by username4477454
I personally worked for them for a year and got fired just before Christmas just gone, I worked on the computer department. I'm going to be honest with you now... Avoid them like the plague, unless you're willing to rip customers off just to hit their unachievable targets... Each day a briefing will focus on the negatives, how different departments are not meeting targets and need to explain the benefits to customers to hit them. You never feel appreciated for the work you do.

Working on computers, you're forced to hard sell setups, software including anti-virus, microsoft office and cloud, then try and sell them the careplan on top... Then talk to them about switching broadband... you're pressured and told to do better and explain the benefits to customers... Customers are not always going to want care or software or setups. Sometimes you have to discount just to hit targets. It's not about what you can do for the customer but what you can do for the companies targets day in day out.

The company has a lot of what I should say underhanded tactics that would be very questionable if trading standards were made aware. The training is done on the computer where you learn about a lot of products. Pay is minimal wage, but you can get an extra £5-£12 an hour if you sale broadband packages.. However this very hard to get at times and you only get half an hour break or an hour if under 18... Shifts can be very long at times as well.

I wouldn't recommend working for them, unless you feel comfortable being underhanded and dishonst.

Is the training paid since it is online?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending