The Student Room Group

Career change SOS

Hi,

I currently have a Law degree and have completed the legal practice course, however have had a huge epiphany and no longer want to work in law at all.

I have always wanted to be a history teacher and realistically, should have done this at university, but I enjoyed Law at college and thought why not Law? .... now I know why!

So I really want to get into teaching however I have used all means of student finance. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a PGCE?

I have the following A levels: History A*, Sociology A, Law B, English Literature B.

Any help would be much appreciated 😊 thank you
Why not give the Get Into Teaching hotline? I don't think PGCE counts as standard student finance. You may be a bit to late to apply for history this year but certainly, you could be ready for next.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
Why not give the Get Into Teaching hotline? I don't think PGCE counts as standard student finance. You may be a bit to late to apply for history this year but certainly, you could be ready for next.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! It’s quite a new thing where you can get £10,000 student finance for postgrad courses, which is what I did.
i think I will call them, thanks
Original post by Careersos
Thanks for your reply! It’s quite a new thing where you can get £10,000 student finance for postgrad courses, which is what I did.
i think I will call them, thanks

Don't know about that one, but history can give you up to £12,000 bursary tax free if you meet the grade

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-my-teacher-training/bursaries-and-scholarships-for-teacher-training
Reply 4
Original post by ByEeek
Don't know about that one, but history can give you up to £12,000 bursary tax free if you meet the grade

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-my-teacher-training/bursaries-and-scholarships-for-teacher-training

Thank you so much I didn’t know that!
The PGCE isn't treated as a post-grad course in terms of funding. For reasons mainly to do with fees etc, it's treated like an undergrad course BUT the amount of funding you've had prior doesn't affect getting the fees/maintenance loans. For a further education course such as law, you would be entitled to a fees loan and a maintenance loan. If you were able to do history, there's also the tax free bursary.

Before applying to teach law, it would be a good idea to investigate the working conditions in the further education sector fully and the availability of full time law teaching jobs.
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
The PGCE isn't treated as a post-grad course in terms of funding. For reasons mainly to do with fees etc, it's treated like an undergrad course BUT the amount of funding you've had prior doesn't affect getting the fees/maintenance loans. For a further education course such as law, you would be entitled to a fees loan and a maintenance loan. If you were able to do history, there's also the tax free bursary.

Before applying to teach law, it would be a good idea to investigate the working conditions in the further education sector fully and the availability of full time law teaching jobs.

Ah okay, so I’d still be able to get funding for a PGCE course then?

I don’t want to teach law at all unfortunately, just history!
Original post by Careersos
Ah okay, so I’d still be able to get funding for a PGCE course then?

I don’t want to teach law at all unfortunately, just history!

Unfortunately, you're only usually able to apply for a PGCE if at least 50% of your degree content was in that subject.

You could contact some unis and see what they'd say, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending