The Student Room Group

Career change mid 30’s

Anyone changed careers in there mid 30’s?
I work in engineering and have done for over 10 years.

I’ve never really enjoyed it and wonder if I should try another path.
Original post by Adam 111

Lots of people change careers at all ages. I presume you have science A levels from working in engineering so you could consider some of the Allied Health Professions. AHP degree courses are exception courses so you would be eligible for tuition fee and maintenance loans.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/
Reply 2
Definitely, you have years at work ahead of you so it would be best to enjoy it more. You’re still pretty young and it’s best to make a change sooner rather than later
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
Lots of people change careers at all ages. I presume you have science A levels from working in engineering so you could consider some of the Allied Health Professions. AHP degree courses are exception courses so you would be eligible for tuition fee and maintenance loans.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/

Thanks,
I haven’t really considered a health profession before. Definitely food for thought
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
Definitely, you have years at work ahead of you so it would be best to enjoy it more. You’re still prettier young and it’s best to make a change sooner rather than later

That’s what I have been battling with, God willing I will be working another 25-30 years so I need to be sure I’m on the right path career wise. Some research and soul searching on the horizon me thinks
Reply 5
Original post by Adam 111

I started a career change last year at 31 where iv gone back to uni and doing mental health nursing.
Previous i worked in retail for 6 year, and have an orriginal degree in youth work.
It was weird at first leaving a pretty secure full time job, but now i wouldnt look back.
The majority of my course ar mature students, and all my mates are and have had career changes, 1 mate was a teacher, another was an archeologist...
Reply 6
Well done for taking the leap. I will research some different career paths and see where my strengths can help.
Having a job that makes a difference to peoples lives is what I want. All the best for the future

Quick Reply

Latest