The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

Is Canterbury Christ Church University a Christian university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yeshua saves
I believe ways for inferring the accuracy of the Bible include whether or not any information in it is contradicted or can be proven to be wrong, textual criticism, fulfillment of prophecies, and
confirmation from other reliable sources.

Repeating something you have already said is not useful and does not develop your argument. Given given that information in it is definitely wrong, why do you think it is true?
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
Thank you for everyone's replies.

Personally I don't see the problem with a Christian praying for a Muslim to accept the Lord Jesus Christ. I would not force my religion on someone, because frankly I believe only God can change someone's perspective about Christianity.

An advantage I personally see in hearing different perspectives is to be able to consider them better, and if they are anti-biblical, defend my beliefs better. Then again, hypothetically if most of the content of a particular university course is anti-biblical, I feel like unfortunately that it could have an impact on a student.

It is just that the name of Canterbury Christ Church University seems to me to imply some Christian influence (which to me is positive), and I was curious about how much Christian influence the university has, especially since unfortunately from what I have read it seems some professors hold anti-biblical views.

By praying for me, despite me saying no and doing it right in front of my face is 'force' - it's called respecting someone's wishes and understanding that Christianity is YOUR faith NOT MINE.

My religion is the fastest growing... We do believe in Jesus too.

Since you have no issue with you praying for someone:
I pray Allah SWT guides you to Islam.
Ameen.

:smile:

Note: The beauty of Uni is meeting people that hold different views, mixing with those that you may not usually do... the majority of my friends are in fact Christians or atheists and we get along so well. I don't see why going to a 'faith determined' Uni is so appealing to you. Not everyone believes in the Bible, including the professors even if it was a faith school, you seem to live in a little bubble of ignorance, methinks.

I get that faith is incredibly important to you but selecting a Uni because of an association to it, and/or (supposed) non-secular ideas... is a little odd.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TeaAndToast22
By praying for me, despite me saying no and doing it right in front of my face is 'force' - it's called respecting someone's wishes and understanding that Christianity is YOUR faith NOT MINE.

My religion is the fastest growing... We do believe in Jesus too.

Since you have no issue with you praying for someone:
I pray Allah SWT guides you to Islam.
Ameen.

:smile:

Note: The beauty of Uni is meeting people that hold different views, mixing with those that you may not usually do... the majority of my friends are in fact Christians or atheists and we get along so well. I don't see why going to a 'faith determined' Uni is so appealing to you. Not everyone believes in the Bible, including the professors even if it was a faith school, you seem to live in a little bubble of ignorance, methinks.

I get that faith is incredibly important to you but selecting a Uni because of an association to it, and/or (supposed) non-secular ideas... is a little odd.

As a Christian, I believe Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6), so personally I see a benefit in a university that may have a Christian aspect. However, I recognise that not all professors at Canterbury Christ Church University may necessarily be Christians.

Another potential benefit I see in Christian universities is that theology courses are usually offered at Christian schools (which could be useful for careers such as children's ministry), though even in an overtly Christian school theology taught may not necessarily be biblical.

I personally do not think that the only place where a Christian can grow in their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is at a Christian university.

I consider the Bible to be God's word. I am fully aware that not everyone believes the Bible.
(edited 5 years ago)
As a Christian, I believe Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6), so personally I see a benefit in being taught under professors who acknowledge the truth. I also see a benefit in being able to fellowship with other Christian students in a university. However, I recognise that not all professors at Canterbury Christ Church University may necessarily be Christians.

Another potential benefit I see in Christian universities is that theology courses are usually offered at Christian schools (which could be useful for careers such as children's ministry), though even in an overtly Christian school theology taught may not necessarily be biblical.

I personally do not think that the only place where a Christian can grow in their faith is at a Christian university.

I consider the Bible to be God's word. I am fully aware that not everyone believes the Bible.

I do not live in the UK, but the majority of the population where I live are not Christians (according to statistics), although statistics show there is a significant minority of professing Christians where I live.

Do check with the university though, because although it is called ‘Christ Church’ I think that’s more due to their location than their ethos.
could be useful for careers such as children's ministry

You are thinking about carrying on the wholesale abuse of children by indoctrinating them into your own superstitious beliefs before they can develop their analytical faculties then.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by NoraSmith
Do check with the university though, because although it is called ‘Christ Church’ I think that’s more due to their location than their ethos.

Thanks. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
You are thinking about carrying on the wholesale abuse of children by indoctrinating them into your own superstitious beliefs before then can develop their analytical faculties then.

I am not completely decided on my career path. However, in order to defend all the Christian children's ministry workers, I do not believe that teaching children biblical truth with God's guidance and leading is abuse at all, but quite the opposite. To develop children's analytical thinking, I believe one could also show children the evidence for the Bible being true.

I do not know what your religion is (or whether you have a religion), but I believe one could argue that some agnostics or atheists are indoctrinating their children to agnostic or atheistic beliefs, and I believe it is harmful to deliberately try to develop an unbelieving heart in children.
(edited 9 months ago)
As a Christian who is considering whether or not to study at Canterbury Christ Church University, I would like to know if Canterbury Christ Church University is a Christian university?

Unless you're going to train for the priesthood there, does it actually matter? Whether it's a Christian institution or not, there will likely be a Christian Union there.

Also you misspelled 𐡉‬𐡔‬𐡅‬𐡏‬ in your username.
Original post by Tootles
Unless you're going to train for the priesthood there, does it actually matter? Whether it's a Christian institution or not, there will likely be a Christian Union there.

Also you misspelled 𐡉‬𐡔‬𐡅‬𐡏‬ in your username.

Thank you for your reply and for pointing out that there will likely be a Christian Union in a university.

May I ask what is the correct spelling? I wanted to put my username as "Jesus saves" at first, but that username was already taken so I decided to put what I think is the Hebrew transliteration of the name.

I am not going to train for the priesthood, because I am female and I believe the person overseeing the local church with God's help should be male.

Personally, I think whether a university is Christian or secular may not necessarily matter that much if a Christian student was confident in what they believed and continued attending church, reading the Bible, praying and fellowshipping with other Christians, though there may may be more opportunities to fellowship with other Christians in a Christian universities and also possibly some faith components in the course (I guess maybe not in most courses in Canterbury Christ Church University) and chapel in a Christian university, though I think it is important for Christian university students attending a secular university to understand they may be exposed to anti-biblical worldviews and not just accept anything a professor says as truth, and definitely not accept what a professor says as truth if what he or she says goes against the Bible. However, I do see a potential risk that some professors at secular universities may try to sway students into a nonbiblical worldview.
(edited 5 years ago)
one could also show children the evidence for the Bible being true.

How can it be true if it contains, as it certainly does, things that are known and proven to be wrong?
However, in order to defend all the Christian children's ministry workers, I do not believe that teaching children biblical truth with God's guidance and leading is abuse at all, but quite the opposite. To develop children's analytical thinking, I believe one could also show children the evidence for the Bible being true.

Children need critical thinking skills before being exposed to religion. Why are you against that?

What about the evidence in Harry Potter?

Why do you not address the fact that parts of the Bible are demonstrably false?

If you are not prepared to have your beliefs challenged, university would be a complete waste of time. What are you afraid of?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
Children need critical thinking skills before being exposed to religion. Why are you against that?

What about the evidence in Harry Potter?

Why do you not address the fact that parts of the Bible are demonstrably false?

If you are not prepared to have your beliefs challenged, university would be a complete waste of time. What are you afraid of?

I am not against children being taught critical thinking skills. I am opposed to children being taught the lies of this world and not according to the truth. I believe that the Bible is God's word, and as important as physical food, therefore I believe the spiritual formation and education of children should not be neglected.

I do not know much about Harry Potter, but I believe the author who wrote Harry Potter intended to write it as fiction. Also, I know of no other sources that confirm that book series to be true and no fulfilment of prophecies in real life in Harry Potter.

I will admit I do not know the Bible well enough to defend it as well as I should. However, I believe "contradictions" in the Bible can be dealt with and are thought to be "contradictions" due to not being taken in context and due to people's fallible interpretations.

I am prepared to have my belief in the Lord Jesus Christ challenged, because I know the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and the Bible to be true and I am confident that Christianity can withstand any and all attacks since it is true.

I am grateful for everyone's replies.
(edited 5 years ago)
am opposed to children being taught the lies of this world. I believe that the Bible is God's word, and I as important as physical food, therefore I believe the spiritual formation and education of children should not be neglected.

Which 'lies'?

If I didn't eat, I'd die fairly soon. I reject the Bible and it's vile pronouncements,, and have done so for decades with no I'll effect. Perhaps you think that I should have stoned my children to death when they were unruly?

Your constant insistence that the Bible is true, and unwillingness to discuss it, makes you unsuitable for critical study.

How can you 'debate' with people that agree with you?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
Which 'lies'?

If I didn't eat, I'd die fairly soon. I reject the Bible and it's vile pronouncements,, and have done so for decades with no I'll effect. Perhaps you think that I should have stoned my children to death when they were unruly?

Your constant insistence that the Bible is true, and unwillingness to discuss it, makes you unsuitable for critical study.

How can you 'debate' with people that agree with you?

May I ask in what capacity do you work in?

Lies of the world such as that YHWH is not the true God, that the Lord Jesus Christ is not the way, the denial of the Lord Jesus Christ's resurrection, and all doctrines that go against the Bible.

As for stoning children for disobedience, I believe that we do not live under the Old Covenant, but under the New Covenant and that Christians are justified by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I said I will not debate Christianity any further on this thread, and want to keep my word. Also, I am an 18 year old female and wish to respect and submit to my elders.

For what it's worth, Christian professors may also present to students arguments against Christianity to help them defend their beliefs better, but the reason I would go to university would primarily be to get subject and general knowledge (especially since some careers require subject knowledge), as well as to share the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. My main purpose in going to university would not be in order to look for an argument.

As for not being suited to critical study, I do appreciate people making honest statements. I personally do not think that every secondary school student necessarily should go to university, but some of the careers I am considering do require a university degree. However, I believe that a strong faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is not an indicator of not being suited to critical study (I am not saying this describes me or that I am suited to critical study; I am saying that I believe faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is by no means an indicator of not being suited to critical study).

Unfortunately I do not know the history of the Bible and the Bible well enough to defend my faith as well as I perhaps should. Perhaps a biblical theology education has the potential to help a person defend their belief in the Lord Jesus Christ better as guided the Holy Spirit.
(edited 5 years ago)
e I know the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and the Bible to be true and I am confident that Christianity can withstand any and all attacks since it is true.

But it is proven not to be. The very first supposed facts are proven not to be true. There was never a census in the reign of Herod the Great. The census was taken nine years after he died and did not require people to travel to the lands of their ancestors, as the Gospel of Luke claims. Not only that but Luke claims that Augustus decreed a pan-Empire census; he didn't. That is a whole series of non-truths, made to set up Jesus as descended from the old kings - another big lie.

Not only that but there was no massacre of the innocents, as claimed by the Gospel of Matthew. Other writers who have recorded Herod's crimes faithfully do not mention it and it is not the sort of event that could go unrecorded. Of course, a long-dead puppet king could not perpetrate a massacre anyway. Again, the lie was perpetrated purely to set up Jesus as rejected by the Jews.

Honestly, it is difficult to see how any open-minded twenty-first century person of intelligence could fall for this tosh - early false news.
But it is proven not to be. The very first supposed facts are proven not to be true. There was never a census in the reign of Herod the Great. The census was taken nine years after he died and did not require people to travel to the lands of their ancestors, as the Gospel of Luke claims. Not only that but Luke claims that Augustus decreed a pan-Empire census; he didn't. That is a whole series of non-truths, made to set up Jesus as descended from the old kings - another big lie.

Not only that but there was no massacre of the innocents, as claimed by the Gospel of Matthew. Other writers who have recorded Herod's crimes faithfully do not mention it and it is not the sort of event that could go unrecorded. Of course, a long-dead puppet king could not perpetrate a massacre anyway. Again, the lie was perpetrated purely to set up Jesus as rejected by the Jews.

Honestly, it is difficult to see how any open-minded twenty-first century person of intelligence could fall for this tosh - early false news.

I don't want to debate any further, but just in case anyone else wants to look at these articles that I found:
https://www.christianity.com/jesus/b...uss-birth.html
https://crossexamined.org/really-cen...esar-augustus/
http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post...in-Luke-2.aspx
https://carm.org/was-luke-wrong-about-the-census-of-quirinius
(edited 5 years ago)
lets change the name so we are more accepting of all religions
I don't want to debate any further, but just in case anyone else wants to look at this article that I found: https://carm.org/was-luke-wrong-about-the-census-of-quirinius

What self-serving nonsense! That author's thesis is essentially: Which is right, Luke or Josephus? It must be Luke as the Bible is always right. So the Bible is right.

And, to keep the long-dead Herod in the picture, he tells us Jesus must have been born in Herod's reign, when the census started, and was counted later. What utter tosh!

You need to start to think for yourself, and not blindly believe first century propaganda.
What self-serving nonsense! That author's thesis is essentially: Which is right, Luke or Josephus? It must be Luke as the Bible is always right. So the Bible is right.

And, to keep the long-dead Herod in the picture, he tells us Jesus must have been born in Herod's reign, when the census started, and was counted later. What utter tosh!

You need to start to think for yourself, and not blindly believe first century propaganda.

Here are other article about the census:

https://www.christianity.com/jesus/birth-of-jesus/bethlehem/was-there-really-a-census-at-the-time-of-jesuss-birth.html
https://crossexamined.org/really-census-time-caesar-augustus/
http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2008/10/16/A-Brief-Comment-on-the-Census-in-Luke-2.aspx
(edited 5 years ago)
Here are other article about the census:

All peddling the same brainwashed nonsense that brooks no dissent from the propaganda and which uses 'maybe' and 'perhaps' rather a lot, and 'certainly' to mean 'speculatively'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending