The Student Room Group

Confusion about top-up degree funding.

Hello

I have a bit of a confusing situation regarding going back to university to complete my degree.

In 2018 to 2021 I completed 3 years of study on Animal Science BSc with Foundation Year. I funded the foundation year myself as I was not entitled to the tuition loan for 1 year.

Prior to this I had completed a year of Psychology at Staffordshire University and I believe a term at CCCU after transferring so I believe this is classed as 2 years of study.

I left after year 2 of Animal Science BSc due to COVID and financial problems and obtained a DipHE for the 2 years of the degree course (foundation year counted to nothing).

I am now looking at going back to CCCU to do my final year and top my DipHE to the full degree, previously I was told my SFE I would receive full funding for my final year as had 1 year of funding left.
Another option I can do is do a top-up degree at kent university which I would prefer to do than go straight into a final year having had a break but I am confused about the funding for this because of the calculations..

3 years (SFE say to calculate a topup degree as 3 years not 1) + 1 gift year
- 5 years of previous study (I assume I still count the foundation year I self funded?) = -1 years of funding?

So am I correct in saying I would not be funded for a top-up degree but would be funded for a final year at my previous university? The government website on SFE says "You may get limited funding if you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree."

Thank you
Original post by Allyalvic
Hello

I have a bit of a confusing situation regarding going back to university to complete my degree.

In 2018 to 2021 I completed 3 years of study on Animal Science BSc with Foundation Year. I funded the foundation year myself as I was not entitled to the tuition loan for 1 year.

Prior to this I had completed a year of Psychology at Staffordshire University and I believe a term at CCCU after transferring so I believe this is classed as 2 years of study.

I left after year 2 of Animal Science BSc due to COVID and financial problems and obtained a DipHE for the 2 years of the degree course (foundation year counted to nothing).

I am now looking at going back to CCCU to do my final year and top my DipHE to the full degree, previously I was told my SFE I would receive full funding for my final year as had 1 year of funding left.
Another option I can do is do a top-up degree at kent university which I would prefer to do than go straight into a final year having had a break but I am confused about the funding for this because of the calculations..

3 years (SFE say to calculate a topup degree as 3 years not 1) + 1 gift year
- 5 years of previous study (I assume I still count the foundation year I self funded?) = -1 years of funding?

So am I correct in saying I would not be funded for a top-up degree but would be funded for a final year at my previous university? The government website on SFE says "You may get limited funding if you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree."

Thank you

Hi there,

Based on what you have advised you wouldn't be eligible for finance due to your previous study unless you were going to study one of our exception courses. I would suggest speaking to your university money adviser's who may be able to advise on alternative funding options.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Ah I see :frown:

What about part-time study? Would this need to be a part-time exceptions course to be eligible for part-time study funding or does it not apply as I don't yet hold a degree?

Thank you
Original post by Allyalvic
Ah I see :frown:

What about part-time study? Would this need to be a part-time exceptions course to be eligible for part-time study funding or does it not apply as I don't yet hold a degree?

Thank you

Hi there,

If you do not already hold an Undergraduate Qualification then you may be eligible for funding for a part time course. Do you know what part time course you would like to do and what university would you attend? Can you also confirm the duration of the course?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Hi Drew

I do hold a DipHE but not a Degree.

Course wise has been a difficult decision for me but I'm quite focused on:

Computing BSc Canterbury Christ Church University - 6 years part-time
Business Information Systems BSc Canterbury Christ Church University - 6 years part-time
Computer Science BSc Canterbury Christ Church University - 6 years part-time

Or should I not meet the mathematical requirements for those courses I am also interested in:
Ancient, Medieval and Modern History BA at University of Kent - 6 years part-time
Classical and Archaeological Studies BA at University of Kent - 6 years part-time

The original plan was to finish my original animal science degree and do a conversion masters but if part-time funding is available it could be a much better and open option for me instead to do undergraduate study.
Hi there,

Then you would be eligible to study for a part time course.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 6
Thank you! 😊
Hi there,

You're welcome. I hope you have a nice evening.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending