The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

DSA allowance

I applied for the DSA and I’ve just got back from seeing my doctor. She said I’d have to pay £25 to send my medical documents off so instead she’d write a letter to say I have anxiety and mental health disorders. She added her number and her signature along with her stamp on the bottom but I’m kinda doubtful this is going to work, am I right?
Reply 1
Original post by XSnowWolf2k1X
I applied for the DSA and I’ve just got back from seeing my doctor. She said I’d have to pay £25 to send my medical documents off so instead she’d write a letter to say I have anxiety and mental health disorders. She added her number and her signature along with her stamp on the bottom but I’m kinda doubtful this is going to work, am I right?

It needs to explain how your diagnoses affect your ability to study. Saying you have anxiety and not explaining how it affects you will not be enough information.
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Ahh okay, how can they get that from doctors, why not just ask the student how it affects them👀 don’t a doctor just give a diagnosis of what the patient has?
Reply 3
Original post by XSnowWolf2k1X
Ahh okay, how can they get that from doctors, why not just ask the student how it affects them👀 don’t a doctor just give a diagnosis of what the patient has?

I can't give you an answer to that, I just know that DSA want to know how it affects you before they agree that you require help. When I had my DSA topped up to get help for my mental health issues the letter said what my mental health diagnoses were at the time (I was waiting to be seen by a psychiatrist) and that I struggle with motivation, concentration, etc. all of which impacted my ability to study effectively.
No worries, thank you for the help. I appreciate it!
Original post by Pathway
I can't give you an answer to that, I just know that DSA want to know how it affects you before they agree that you require help. When I had my DSA topped up to get help for my mental health issues the letter said what my mental health diagnoses were at the time (I was waiting to be seen by a psychiatrist) and that I struggle with motivation, concentration, etc. all of which impacted my ability to study effectively.
Reply 5
Hi, Thanks for the useful thread. I've suffered from panic attacks, anxiety and depression quite badly and having frequent bad bouts since I was about 15 (I'm now 20.) I've had counselling twice and CBT. I do find that it affects my studying but I'm not sure if I should apply for DSA or not. The extra money would help me to afford somewhere more comfortable where I can have my own bigger space that will allow me to help control my anxiety rather than a tiny room in London that often can provoke panic attacks from being in such a small space. It would also help me pay for everyday things that would help me to control my depression and anxiety, for example going to workshops, paying for a gym membership to exercise etc. If I got even a small amount of DSA it would help. The only reason I'm hesitating is that someone told me that once something about mental health conditions is on your record, insurance companies and future employers can see it, making your insurance more and employers sketchy about you. Anybody got any advice on this one?
Reply 6
Original post by rjane99
Hi, Thanks for the useful thread. I've suffered from panic attacks, anxiety and depression quite badly and having frequent bad bouts since I was about 15 (I'm now 20.) I've had counselling twice and CBT. I do find that it affects my studying but I'm not sure if I should apply for DSA or not. The extra money would help me to afford somewhere more comfortable where I can have my own bigger space that will allow me to help control my anxiety rather than a tiny room in London that often can provoke panic attacks from being in such a small space. It would also help me pay for everyday things that would help me to control my depression and anxiety, for example going to workshops, paying for a gym membership to exercise etc. If I got even a small amount of DSA it would help. The only reason I'm hesitating is that someone told me that once something about mental health conditions is on your record, insurance companies and future employers can see it, making your insurance more and employers sketchy about you. Anybody got any advice on this one?

You don't explicitly get money from DSA.
Reply 7
Hi there,

Yes I've heard about mental health mentors too. That would be really really useful. If you apply for DSA, you go through an assessment and if you are awarded it, what they award is done on very much on an individual basis. If money is not awarded, what sort of support could I get ?
thanks !
Original post by Pathway
You don't explicitly get money from DSA.
Reply 8
Original post by rjane99
Hi there,

Yes I've heard about mental health mentors too. That would be really really useful. If you apply for DSA, you go through an assessment and if you are awarded it, what they award is done on very much on an individual basis. If money is not awarded, what sort of support could I get ?
thanks !

You might get allowances for printer consumables, non-core text books, internet, a printer, maybe other software and a mentor. There are some other things as well but you don't get given money directly. You won't get money for going to the gym and they're unlikely to pay for a bigger space in terms of accommodation, they don't seem to do that anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending