The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I do PPE at Merton and my GCSEs were 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs. I really don't think they care much about GCSEs and whether you got 0, 2, 5, 10 or 50 A*s - so long as your A levels are good and you impress in interview. I was one of 2 people out of 9 in my year to get a distinction in prelims so I can't be all that stupid :cool:
Reply 21
I thought there were 45 distinctions in PPE last year?

(Unless you're not in the second year.)
Reply 22
deianra
I think he meant out of the 9 PPEists in Merton?

I think there's 10 PPEists at Merton in the second year, though I'm not sure (I'm pretty sure there are in the first year). Even if not, 2 out of 9 isn't tremendously impressive (we had 2 out of 5), so that seems a bit odd for an ultra-high-performing college.
There are 9 in the second year. It's not as impressive as Merton's average but there were 45 distinctions across the uni out of about 300 people so it's greater than proportional.
RxB
I think there's 10 PPEists at Merton in the second year, though I'm not sure (I'm pretty sure there are in the first year). Even if not, 2 out of 9 isn't tremendously impressive (we had 2 out of 5), so that seems a bit odd for an ultra-high-performing college.

Well (s)he got a distinction in Prelims at Merton, Oxford so I wouldnt look down my nose!
Reply 25
WhatFreshHell?
Well (s)he got a distinction in Prelims at Merton, Oxford so I wouldnt look down my nose!

I was talking about Merton overall, not him particularly. There's no way I'm going to get a distinction this year so I'm in no position to belittle it; it's a huge achievement.
Reply 26

prelims are university wide, a distinction at 'Merton, Oxford' has little more added, super impressive-ness.. if it were a sterotypically lower ranking college though.. :wink:

RxB
There's no way I'm going to get a distinction this year so I'm in no position to belittle it; it's a huge achievement.

you've just started? TBH i think it's hard to tell.. some super keen, well read people in tutes fall apart come exam time.
Elles

you've just started? TBH i think it's hard to tell.. some super keen, well read people in tutes fall apart come exam time.

This is true. I spent most of my last year canvassing for the Labour Party... :biggrin: :biggrin:
Prelims are, in many ways, a matter of luck. Whether you get a distinction or not is unknown until you get the results. There is (unfortunately) no correlation between them and finals.
Reply 28
labour steve

There is (unfortunately) no correlation between them and finals.

or even 2nd year exams probably. damnit, i like my new gown.. :redface: :frown:
Reply 29
I was rejected form the Law course at Merton and Oxford generally on Saturday 18th December... not the best Christmas present but hey I was expecting it after my awful interview. How did the rest of you get on?

Latest

Trending

Trending