The Student Room Group

International Women's Day 2024 - Tell us about someone who inspires you

International Women's Day 2024 will be taking place tomorrow (8th March) :woo: and this year, we want to hear from YOU about the women who inspire you, who motivate you, and who have made a lasting impact on your journey so far.

Whether it's a historical figure, a contemporary icon, a family member, a friend, or even someone you've never met but greatly admire...

And for some added fun, we want to hear who your top 5 dream dinner party guests would be in honour of IWD too :h:

Happy posting! :tongue:
Ok, so 5 dinner guests for me:
- Billie Jean King
- Maya Angelou
- Sinead O'Connor
- Jane Goodall
- Janis Joplin
Thoughts?
:party:
Original post by PileaP
Ok, so 5 dinner guests for me:
- Billie Jean King
- Maya Angelou
- Sinead O'Connor
- Jane Goodall
- Janis Joplin
Thoughts?
:party:

Love this! Maya Angelou would have to be one of mine too :smile:
I've literally been thinking about this all day trying to decide who I'd pick for my dinner party! So I'm going for...
1. Marsha P Johnson
2. Marianne Faithfull
3. Heather Booth
4. Mavis Best
5. My mum (cos I think she'd have a gas hanging out with the above)

And when I think about women in my life who inspire me my first thought is all my friends who've had children recently and had to adjust to huge changes and fight to keep having their voices heard - I think they're amazing :smile:

I'd love to know who'd be at your dinner party, @emm4nuella!
Original post by CamembertPaws
International Women's Day 2024 will be taking place tomorrow (8th March) :woo: and this year, we want to hear from YOU about the women who inspire you, who motivate you, and who have made a lasting impact on your journey so far.

Whether it's a historical figure, a contemporary icon, a family member, a friend, or even someone you've never met but greatly admire...

And for some added fun, we want to hear who your top 5 dream dinner party guests would be in honour of IWD too :h:

Happy posting! :tongue:

So my dinner part guests of inspiring women:

Emma Barnett journalist and broadcaster who has roasted many a politician on air
Heather Small incredible singer who'd have us all up dancing :dance:
Sandi Toksvig a national treasure (even though she’s Danish :wink:)
Caroline Aherne an amazing comedic talent (sadly missed)
Zoe Ball to get the party going and probably keep it going til the early hours

@Scotney @Ghostlady Who would you choose?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by normaw
So my dinner part guests of inspiring women:
Emma Barnett journalist and broadcaster who has roasted many a politician on air
Heather Small incredible singer who'd have us all up dancing :dance:
Sandi Toksvig a national treasure (even though she’s Danish :wink:)
Caroline Aherne an amazing comedic talent (sadly missed)
Zoe Ball to get the party going and probably keep it going til the early hours
@Scotney @Ghostlady Who would you choose?

Caroline Aherne 🩵🩵🩵
Original post by PileaP
Caroline Aherne 🩵🩵🩵

My avatar is based on Mrs Merton :biggrin:
Original post by normaw
My avatar is based on Mrs Merton :biggrin:

Of course 😍 absolutely loved Mrs Merton
Original post by Pwca
I've literally been thinking about this all day trying to decide who I'd pick for my dinner party! So I'm going for...
1. Marsha P Johnson
2. Marianne Faithfull
3. Heather Booth
4. Mavis Best
5. My mum (cos I think she'd have a gas hanging out with the above)
And when I think about women in my life who inspire me my first thought is all my friends who've had children recently and had to adjust to huge changes and fight to keep having their voices heard - I think they're amazing :smile:
I'd love to know who'd be at your dinner party, @emm4nuella!
happy mother's day everyone!! my mum is definitely an inspiring person!! when i think of my dinner party guests, i will definitely list them here :heart:!
One inspirational woman is Rachel Jeffs, the incredibly brave daughter of FLDS theocrat Warren Jeffs.

My top 5 female dinner guests would be:
Anne Bronte
Bertha of Kent
Indira Gandhi
Margaret Thatcher
Rosa Lewis
Five inspirational guests for me would be;

Ada Lovelace- someone who was so ahead of her time in so many ways.

Alexandra David Neel- explorer, visited Tibet when it was still closed off to most Westerners & witnessed a number of strange & mysterious things which inspired her ideas on spirituality. Also a campaigner on various social issues who was determined to defy the limtiations/ stereotypes placed on women in her era.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_David-N%C3%A9el

Helen Sharman- astronaut & the first British woman in space [plus a fellow Yorkshirewoman like myself :smile:]

JK Rowling- maybe a controversial choice given the recent issues she's been involved in but her creations were such a big part of so many of my generation's childhoods & whether you agree or disagree with her views she's never afraid to speak her mind so I'm sure she'd be able to generate some lively debate.

Janelle Monae- I really like the themes which inspire her music plus her unique fashion sense.

Another woman who inspires me is someone who is more locally famous to my city- Geraldine Connor.
https://www.gcfoundation.co.uk/our-history-1

I actually met her a couple of times as a kid as part of this dance/ performing arts group I was involved in but I was too young to really know about or appreciate everything she'd done in terms of the work she'd done in the arts & her community activism. I know a few people now who did know her well & everything I've heard about her she sounds like an amazing person - definitely gone too soon.

Quick Reply

Latest