The Student Room Group

AMD vs INTEL? - the rise of ryzen , please advise

I got into pc gaming a few years ago and all i could read about is intel and nvidia as a combo. I got an entry level gtx 750ti and an i3 4170. In hindsight i should have got an i5 4690k and a gtx 960 ( saving a bit more).

Now it appears that AMD is making a comeback with CPU's like the ryzen 3 and 5 . Even their GPU's offer good value. They are relatively cheap and offer a lot of value. Intel coffee lake processors cost a lot more, so are they still worth it?

Games these days are require at least a good quad core processor with a graphics card of at least gtx 1060+ level for good fps at 1080p. I want a make a new build , so is it worth the switch to AMD?

Ryzen owners , please advise? thanks

Scroll to see replies

At the moment, AMD is claiming almost up to 50% of Intel's market share. They are doing great! Both companies are doing amazing processors so you shouldn't actually worry if you're not going to build a really high-end computer. The great battle is soon to come, due to Intel announcing their first GPU.
The best thing about the onset of Ryzen is that it forced Intel to start being competitive again, and now both brands have great options at most price points. The best thing to do now is look at the available options at the time that you're putting your build together as prices tend to fluctuate, rather than focussing on a brand before looking at price.
Reply 3
Really? Intel GPU? that is a bit interesting. I wonder if they would be as good as Nvidia/AMD. I would want to build a decent computer but not high end, i don't need to play in 4k or even 1440p. 1080p is enough for me. Ah ok cool. I think i'd just get a gtx 1660 if i save up.

Do you think a gtx 1660/1660ti is a good match for an i5 7500?
Original post by Arcaneballs
At the moment, AMD is claiming almost up to 50% of Intel's market share. They are doing great! Both companies are doing amazing processors so you shouldn't actually worry if you're not going to build a really high-end computer. The great battle is soon to come, due to Intel announcing their first GPU.
Reply 4
Oh right, yeah thanks. It got a bit mental when cryptocurrency started picking up. The GPU prices were just a con. Things are a bit better now.
Ryzen is absolutely the way to go. My own rig is a R7 1700x, gtx 1050ti overclocked, and I can tell you, this thing is a beast when it comes to High-medium 1080p gaming and god-like in CPU intensive tasks. Go for the R7 2700x and a 1660ti
Original post by tjblonks
I got into pc gaming a few years ago and all i could read about is intel and nvidia as a combo. I got an entry level gtx 750ti and an i3 4170. In hindsight i should have got an i5 4690k and a gtx 960 ( saving a bit more).

Now it appears that AMD is making a comeback with CPU's like the ryzen 3 and 5 . Even their GPU's offer good value. They are relatively cheap and offer a lot of value. Intel coffee lake processors cost a lot more, so are they still worth it?

Games these days are require at least a good quad core processor with a graphics card of at least gtx 1060+ level for good fps at 1080p. I want a make a new build , so is it worth the switch to AMD?

Ryzen owners , please advise? thanks
Do not get an i5 7600. It's too old, regardless what everyone says. I would reccomend getting the next Ryzen 5
Really? Intel GPU? that is a bit interesting. I wonder if they would be as good as Nvidia/AMD. I would want to build a decent computer but not high end, i don't need to play in 4k or even 1440p. 1080p is enough for me. Ah ok cool. I think i'd just get a gtx 1660 if i save up.

Do you think a gtx 1660/1660ti is a good match for an i5 7500?
This guy knows what's up
Ryzen is still behind Intel in gaming, but are better in high compute tasks.
I disagree with that, because for the value R5 provides, It beats any intel product, ever.
Original post by random_matt
Ryzen is still behind Intel in gaming, but are better in high compute tasks.
Oh, and building a rig now is complicated due to PS5 being released in 2020.
Original post by TheTenthBox
I disagree with that, because for the value R5 provides, It beats any intel product, ever.

Who was talking about value?
OP was talking about the value of AMD processors and GPUs
Who was talking about value?
OP was talking about the value of AMD processors and GPUs

Ok, Ryzen isn't a bad choice, but I would at least wait until the next iteration. Now GPU, Nvidia or nothing I'm afraid, although their RTX range is a bit of a flop. Go for a 1660TI in the meantime, but be prepared to upgrade it in 2020, it really is not a good time to build a rig currently.

Do not even consider AMD cards, if you know anything about GCN, then you know it is archaic, inefficient and pure garbage.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Do not get an i5 7600. It's too old, regardless what everyone says. I would reccomend getting the next Ryzen 5

yeah , i got an i5 7500 a few years ago. If i had known about ryzen this well, i would have got it. It would be better to get a cpu with 6 cores because games are getting more and more demanding. If Red dead 2 comes out on PC, the requirements are probably gonna be ridiculous
Reply 15
ah ok cool. Really? if you get a 1660TI , you think you would need to upgrade in 2020? i thought i was a solid card for at least 3 years if you game at 1080p high settings, doesn't have to be ultra or 'nightmare' mode a-la Doom :dontknow:
Ok, Ryzen isn't a bad choice, but I would at least wait until the next iteration. Now GPU, Nvidia or nothing I'm afraid, although their RTX range is a bit of a flop. Go for a 1660TI in the meantime, but be prepared to upgrade it in 2020, it really is not a good time to build a rig currently.

Do not even consider AMD cards, if you know anything about GCN, then you know it is archaic, inefficient and pure garbage.
yeah , i got an i5 7500 a few years ago. If i had known about ryzen this well, i would have got it. It would be better to get a cpu with 6 cores because games are getting more and more demanding. If Red dead 2 comes out on PC, the requirements are probably gonna be ridiculous

Nope, 8 cores.
A 1660ti will last you at least 2 years.
ah ok cool. Really? if you get a 1660TI , you think you would need to upgrade in 2020? i thought i was a solid card for at least 3 years if you game at 1080p high settings, doesn't have to be ultra or 'nightmare' mode a-la Doom :dontknow:

The problem is the next gen consoles which will be developed around first and foremost. PS5 allegedely will be 56CU's @1800MHz = 12.7 TF, you are looking 2070/2080 levels of grunt, they will also be using Zen 2 ryzen.

Cannot say how developers will accommodate cards of now, but you will probably be alright until 2021/22. (Sorry, missed the 1080P, you are all cool, probably be ok at 1440P to be honest).
(edited 4 years ago)
If it is only for gaming, single 2070 will keep you happy for a long time, having more than 4 cores rarely makes any difference, if it is for work NN or render then intel + nVidia is the only way to go, you will only burn yourself with AMDs wanna be projects.

Quick Reply

Latest