The Student Room Group

What laptop/ipad do you recommend me to get for university?

What laptop/Ipad do you reccomend me to get for university? I will probably be studying speech and language therapy or primary education. Undergrad?
paper and pen :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
What laptop/Ipad do you reccomend me to get for university? I will probably be studying speech and language therapy or primary education. Undergrad?

I can recommend some, depending on your budget, but the ideal thing for you would be to know the specific requirements for your course, if there are any. Otherwise, you might need to purchase another one in case you buy the wrong one now without knowing any special needs.

Any laptop will do, depending on your budget as the above user has said.

Hi,

I would suggest checking what your course requires from you in terms of software before you purchase.

You can always wait before you begin your studies to see which one would be best for you and what your course recommends.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by steamedclams
paper and pen :smile:

Most courses require students to have a laptop these days but a paper and pen is good to have once doing revision stuff
Original post by Chronoscope
Most courses require students to have a laptop these days but a paper and pen is good to have once doing revision stuff

i've only ever used a paper and pen
Original post by steamedclams
i've only ever used a paper and pen

Which course? :h:

If I wrote paper and pen for me course my hand would have constant hand cramps :rofl:
(Writing is a nightmare for me anyway so I have adjustments :tongue: )

Everyone has their own preference though :awesome:
Original post by Chronoscope
Which course? :h:

If I wrote paper and pen for me course my hand would have constant hand cramps :rofl:
(Writing is a nightmare for me anyway so I have adjustments :tongue: )

Everyone has their own preference though :awesome:

proto-chemistry
sometimes i use a quill

Hi there!

It really depends what you're going to be doing during your degree! In my pre-clinical years, I liked drawing diagrams and hand writing notes and I found an iPad a great device for this as I could still hand write notes but as they were all electronic, it meant I had them all with me all of the time!

As I've got through my degree, I do a lot more writing (case logs or assignments) so I prefer my laptop now! I would give it a couple of weeks using whatever you have at the minute and see if that works for you! Keep at eye out when you first stop as there are usually loads of student deals around on electronics!

Best of luck!

-Rebecca, UCLan

Hi!

I was asking the same question 2 years ago. For myself as I'm doing Comp Sci I thought I'd need something extravagant to run all my code ect. but as long as your laptop runs, your good. I'd check to see if your course needs anything special but honestly any laptop will do. If you are going to buy one my top tips would be to get a screen size you like, make sure you like the keyboard (especially with your degree as I assume there will be quite a lot of writing) and most importantly try and get a laptop that is decently quiet. Some people on my course have literal rocket engine sounding laptops and while it doesn't matter they do always get a tad embarrassed when it sounds like they're about to take off.

I have a Lenovo yoga 7i and it's great I love it but honestly, you don't need to spend that much. As long as you can run word and have about 20 google tabs open at the same time you'll manage fine.

I hope this helps a bit!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi,

I would recommend contacting other students currently on the course through sites such as unibuddy or at open days to ask them which they would recommend as some courses suit laptops more than iPads.

It also depends on your needs. If you are someone who prefers drawing on slideshows or drawing diagrams then an iPAd may be the better option but for writing assignments and studying, I find a laptop better as the screen is bigger and therefore easier to read but some of my friends prefer iPads so it really does come down to personal preference.

I would recommend waiting until you become a student as you'll be eligible for Student discounts which can really help bring down the cost of your device.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd-year Children's Nursing Student

Hi there

Generally, any laptop would go but I'd suggest contacting your desired university to find out if your course has any specific needs.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi there Anon,

Some really great advice on here already 🙂 - I would always say that having your own laptop even if you are doing a course which requires you to draw/write by hand a lot is a solid investment given the amount of independent reading and study you need to do; plus it means you can work where you want!

As others have said, an all-rounder with a solid processor to run any software you need it to, good RAM speed to maintain many tabs at once and plenty of internal storage so you can keep everything you need on there including software apps, powerpoints, lecture notes, academic papers etc. Going for one with a touchscreen as well as a keyboard also means you can handwrite and draw on it too, which is great if you are a visual learner but also like to take copious lecture notes - but this is by no means essential! I personally had a smaller one too (14") and so transportable and light for bringing on the bus.

As long as it meets your own preferences and your course needs you don't need to spend a lot; I'd also recommend buying a laptop-safe rucksack or laptop pouch to protect it.

I hope that helps - best of luck!

Holly
University of Bath graduate
Reply 14
Original post by Meheraj
I can recommend some, depending on your budget, but the ideal thing for you would be to know the specific requirements for your course, if there are any. Otherwise, you might need to purchase another one in case you buy the wrong one now without knowing any special needs.

Hi thank you for replying, could you please provide me with some recommendations for laptop/iPad choices? I am looking for something in the range of 10-12 inches, preferably with a touchscreen, a keyboard, and long battery life. My budget for this device is no more than £500. Thanks in advance! I contacted the university and they said any device should be fine.
Reply 15
Hi thank you for replying, could you please provide me with some recommendations for laptop/iPad choices? I am looking for something in the range of 10-12 inches, preferably with a touchscreen, a keyboard, and long battery life. My budget for this device is no more than £500. Thanks in advance! I contacted the university and they said any device should be fine.

These are my recommendations sequentially based on specifications from Dell, HP, and Lenovo though you can purchase whatever you prefer:
1. Inspiron 3525 15 Inch Laptop (AMD) : Inspiron Laptops | Dell UK
2. HP 14-em0006na Laptop Ryzen™ 5 - HP Store UK
3. HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eg2022na Touchscreen Laptop - Core™ i5, Blue - HP Store UK
=3. IdeaPad Slim 3i Gen 8 (15" Intel) | Lenovo UK (By spending 40 more pounds, you can customize the laptop which includes increasing RAM size {8 GB to 16 GB} as well as upgrading the connectivity, precisely WiFi 6).
4. HP 15s-fq5024na Full-HD Laptop - Core™ i5, Blue - HP Store UK
=4. Inspiron 3520 15 Inch Laptop (Intel) : Inspiron Laptops | Dell UK
5. New Inspiron 15 Laptop | Dell UK

If you want a touchscreen laptop within £500, then you would have to sacrifice some specifications such as CPU, RAM, ROM, and operating system as most of them are Chromebooks. That's why I didn't mention them here.

I haven't mentioned any iPads as they're out of your reach when it comes to your budget. There are just a few options but they lack various aspects such as you would need to purchase an Apple Pencil separately despite spending more than £320 on an iPad, low ROM/Storage (only 64 GB), and so on. Also, except for Lenovo, HP, and Apple's iPad, others don't make many laptops of 10-12 inches. So, most of the laptops here crossed that condition.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending