The Student Room Group

A-level AQA Sociology Paper 1 22nd May 2019 [Unofficial Mark Scheme]

since i dont think anyones made this thread yet, just thought id set it up :^)
if anyone remembers the exact working of questions lmk and ill update the first post!

QUESTIONS

Outline 2 - selecting pupils (4)

Outline 3 - reasons why school is similar to the workplace (6)

Applying material from Item A, analyse two - implications of these things on pupil's identity (10)

Applying material from Item B and your knowledge, evaluate - educational achievement and ethnic identity (30)

Applying material from Item C and your knowledge of research methods, evaluate the strengths and limitations of - written questionnaires and parent's impact on child's education (20)

Outline and explain two - disadvantages of using personal documents (10)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ethnicity 30 marker: internal (labelling, racism and subcultures) external (cultural and material dep)

Workplace v school (hierarchy, social control and I said interactions like getting on with everyone)

Documents I wrote can't generalise and invasion of privacy
The 4 marker threw me I could only think of reproducing inequality! I then just said it was unfair for disadvantaged pupils (aware I won’t get mark for that hah). 6 marker I totally over complicated as I realised I could’ve written about punctuality but I used hierarchies, accepting orders and social solidarity view that teaches colleagues etc are not friends (probably will lose mark there too). I loved the 20&30, but the last 10 threw me too as I sort of wrote 3 disadvantages of unethical (consent difficulties) unrepresentative (as they’re PERSONAL so can’t generalise) and also wrote it was impractical as they can be hard to get consent to use? 😂 does this sound any good to people?
By interactions did you mean the functionalism argument that schools a ‘mini society’ that teaches that people you work with are not friends they’re simply colleagues?
Original post by angel.xo
Ethnicity 30 marker: internal (labelling, racism and subcultures) external (cultural and material dep)

Workplace v school (hierarchy, social control and I said interactions like getting on with everyone)

Documents I wrote can't generalise and invasion of privacy
First question I wrote labelling/sfp is this wrong :///
Original post by student200101
By interactions did you mean the functionalism argument that schools a ‘mini society’ that teaches that people you work with are not friends they’re simply colleagues?

Yeah kind of like the idea you have to get on with everyone
How did everyone find the exam?
For the first question I said that
1) giving high achievers places is not meritocratic since they are usually middle class
2) more tenuous but I said it excludes poorly achieving middle-class pupils, meaning they lose their ascribed status.
Reply 8
The 4 marker was a surprise such a blunt question without any supporting argument. Don’t think I got all 4 marks but streaming was a good point to make (which I didn’t)6 marker: Uniform (2), teacher as supervisor Hierarchal authority (2), punctuality being on time (2) - also mentioned that schools and workplace punish those who attempt to differ.30 marker: labelling, institutional racism, teachers expectations, students values and norms. Opposing to material and cultural deprivation, single family household, Asian hard working ethics etc.Last 10 marker on personal documents: - Language and restricted code is hard to deduce- sensitivity of personal documents, ethical approach.
For the question on written questionnaires did you guys put it provided quantitative data or qualitative data ?
1) -I put that over achievers go to better quality schools, under achievers go to poorer quality schools so don’t progress - teachers prefer higher quality pupils, schools with underachievers will be understaffed2) -hierarchy in schools/ in workforce - external rewards - set lunch times/ break times
These are my answers to sociology paper 1 2019. Not necessarily correct!
4 mark)
1- cream skimming and silt shifting. Bad schools get worse whilst good schools get better.
2- Pupils true ability may be overlooked, leading to negative labelling and self fulfilling prophecy.

6 mark)
1- hierarchy or authority.
2- achieved status.
3- Teaching of skills. Eg lessons vs courses.

10 marker)
1- teacher interaction. Boys feedback on behaviour, girls in work. Leads to boys regarding success as unimportant. Girls regard it as important.
2- pupils and peer pressure- subcultures have anti values or pro school values. Also, archer found working class girls had less academic effort as they were loud, ladette and had a hypersexualised personality.

30 marker)
External- language
Internal- institutional racism/ ethnocentric curriculum
External- material deprivation
Internal- teacher labelling
External- attitude and family structure. Eg Asian families tend to be nuclear and supportive and black, SPF and unsupportive.

20 marker)
Practical ethical and theoretical strengths and weaknesses and linked to education and the topic area with examples.

10 marker)
1- ACCESS is difficult as they are usually confidential for privacy and many documents are lost or destroyed.
2- Not Reliable- can’t see trends and patterns over time. AO3- But they are valid with in depth insight.
Original post by kirigiri
since i dont think anyones made this thread yet, just thought id set it up :^)
if anyone remembers the exact working of questions lmk and ill update the first post!

QUESTIONS

Outline 2 - selecting pupils (4)

Outline 3 - reasons why school is similar to the workplace (6)

Applying material from Item A, analyse two - implications of these things on pupil's identity (10)

Applying material from Item B and your knowledge, evaluate - educational achievement and ethnic identity (30)

Applying material from Item C and your knowledge of research methods, evaluate the strengths and limitations of - written questionnaires and parent's impact on child's education (20)

Outline and explain two - disadvantages of using personal documents (10)
Quantitative.
Original post by yaseen1000
For the question on written questionnaires did you guys put it provided quantitative data or qualitative data ?
for the workpalce question I used Durkheim (role allocation in the workplace), Parsons (Meritocracy, everyone needs to achieve equally) and Bowles and Gintis (Respect for authority). I'm only a lil worried for how I used Durkheim and Parsons, hopefully it is relevant because it just is
I dont do A level anymore but i did it at AS
Am i the only one panicking just looking at the 30 marker as it requires thinking outside the box?
1) I put Marxists wouldn’t agree because they think middle classes should be in the better schools2) School and work both have to follow the same values e.g. punctuality.They both have to look up to the people above them.3) labelling 4) (30 marks) I wrote so much on material deprivation (e.g. educational trips and books, housing etc) but not too sure if I will get any marks for that:/ i added in language and values. I also wrote about labelling and anti school subcultures, institutional racism and multi cultural education (how for black history main focus on negativity) 5) had literally no time but I wrote 3 lines for each point, not expecting any marks there 6) Documents may have got lost, may not be reliable, hard to get hold of. Wrote three lines again for each point as had 15 minutes to complete the last two questions:/I have certainly not passed, questions were nice but didn’t put enough in.
i wrote both. Qualitative but you can convert it to quantitative too.
Original post by yaseen1000
what i put (probably wrong! please say what you put):

4 marker: (outline 2 limitations of schools selecting pupils on ability)- no mixing of social groups at a young age- prejudices later in school? and labels some as failures (especially bad at a young age like 11+)

6 marker: ( outline 3 ways in which characteristics of schools are similar to those of the workplace)- they teach authority through hierarchy (head, teachers then students mirrors ceo managers then workers), they teach punctuality, mirror how at work the time belongs to the employer, not the employee, and drive for external rewards (study=qualifications just like work =wages)

10 marker: (outline and explain two ways in which internal processes affect pupils identity) struggled on this one a lot! - said how teachers low expectations of wc students based on streoetypes labels ghem as failure. all 'failures from anti school subculre, like willis lads (link to lacey). then how teachers see those without cultrual capital as less likley to suceed. more lablleing . i essentially made the same point twice

30 marker: (ethnicity and achievemnt)
1- external matieral factors: lots of minorty ethnic groups in poverty. made social calss points such as poor housing and worse schools in wc areas.
2:external cultral factors; douglas suggests parental involvement is key. lupton: asian families have heirarchy, white wc families less confident w/ system and lower aspirations
3-internal - educational triage of black students beacyse of 'anti authority stereotype' (gilbourn and youdel), ethoncientri curriculum - exaplles such as role moelds all dead white males, languages are westeren european, school holidays
4internal- language; mc teachers mistake language difficulties for lack of abiluty, lower streams, so cooled down, and halls subcultrues of resistance

20marker (written questionaires for the role of perental support in the achivement of students)
1- practical - cheap and easy, can be done outsdie fo school good for busy wroking parents, but beascue busy and working, might not find time to do it to best of ability
2- ethical- could shame parents beacsue asks ;do you help with homework' uniteentional. parenting is socially sesitive and could shame wokrijng mother or single parents. also shames wc and minorty ethinic groups beacsue talks about 'material ad cultrual factors'??
3- theorietical
all the normal ones, postovist woukd not perfeer bc hard to oprerationlaise. ect
in the rob Webb aqa revision guide pos favour questionnaire as they are reliable generalisable and representative whereas interpretevists don’t as they don’t uncover a true meaning and they are invalid.
Original post by berniejones
what i put (probably wrong! please say what you put):

4 marker: (outline 2 limitations of schools selecting pupils on ability)- no mixing of social groups at a young age- prejudices later in school? and labels some as failures (especially bad at a young age like 11+)

6 marker: ( outline 3 ways in which characteristics of schools are similar to those of the workplace)- they teach authority through hierarchy (head, teachers then students mirrors ceo managers then workers), they teach punctuality, mirror how at work the time belongs to the employer, not the employee, and drive for external rewards (study=qualifications just like work =wages)

10 marker: (outline and explain two ways in which internal processes affect pupils identity) struggled on this one a lot! - said how teachers low expectations of wc students based on streoetypes labels ghem as failure. all 'failures from anti school subculre, like willis lads (link to lacey). then how teachers see those without cultrual capital as less likley to suceed. more lablleing . i essentially made the same point twice

30 marker: (ethnicity and achievemnt)
1- external matieral factors: lots of minorty ethnic groups in poverty. made social calss points such as poor housing and worse schools in wc areas.
2:external cultral factors; douglas suggests parental involvement is key. lupton: asian families have heirarchy, white wc families less confident w/ system and lower aspirations
3-internal - educational triage of black students beacyse of 'anti authority stereotype' (gilbourn and youdel), ethoncientri curriculum - exaplles such as role moelds all dead white males, languages are westeren european, school holidays
4internal- language; mc teachers mistake language difficulties for lack of abiluty, lower streams, so cooled down, and halls subcultrues of resistance

20marker (written questionaires for the role of perental support in the achivement of students)
1- practical - cheap and easy, can be done outsdie fo school good for busy wroking parents, but beascue busy and working, might not find time to do it to best of ability
2- ethical- could shame parents beacsue asks ;do you help with homework' uniteentional. parenting is socially sesitive and could shame wokrijng mother or single parents. also shames wc and minorty ethinic groups beacsue talks about 'material ad cultrual factors'??
3- theorietical
all the normal ones, postovist woukd not perfeer bc hard to oprerationlaise. ect
Hi guys!
These are basically what I said:
1. - Schools aim to attract middle class and discourage working class as middle class are seen to do better
- Those with lower abilities will not progress quickly due to there being no mixture of abilities
2. - Structured timetable
- Hierarchy
- Uniforms
3. - Bourdieu&cultural capital
- Becker&labelling theory
4. (Kind of panicked on this and did external and evaluated with internal)
- External: Swann Report&some ethnic minorities put high value on education
Internal evaluation: Coard&ethnocentrism
- External: Sewell&lone parenthood in Afro- Caribbean communities
Internal evaluation: Mirza&black girls being anti- school but pro- education
- External: Smith and Noble&’barriers to learning’ e.g. lack of nutrition
Internal: Connolly&primary school teachers labelling pupils
5. - Practical: cheap but low response rate
- Ethical: consent but Hawthorne effect
- Theoretical: generalisable but lacks validity
6. - Not generalisable but high in validity
- Writer may forget key points, which would decrease validity
(edited 4 years ago)