The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Terryw
I have always had this theory which nearly got me suspended from school that...all people who are infected with HIV/AIDs should be isolated and placed elsewhere like an island, banned from sex and so reproduction cannot continue and the disease over roughly 25 years is eradicated. Bit i know it will never happen, but just an idea.

Well, if you've knowingly got HIV, it would be a criminal offence already to have sex with someone who wasn't aware of that.

I think the problem with HIV infection is, aside from a few extremes, people catch it and transmit it before anybody knows they have it.
Kalashnikov
Well, to answer the question on whether or not it's homophobic..it's not. Since lesbians can do it lol

Eh? Henry VIII was well known for is hatred of homosexual men but he enjoyed a good lesbian show, the moron that he was.
Reply 62
So ... are you all gay or something? yall seem so defensive...
Reply 63
The_Goose
well exactly.. i don't get why gay people don't just lie.

Do you realise how stupid (and possibly dangerous) that would be?
Reply 64
Kalashnikov
Well, to answer the question on whether or not it's homophobic..it's not. Since lesbians can do it lol

This is like saying that hating black people is not racism as long as you like white people.
gyrase
So ... are you all gay or something? yall seem so defensive...

Are you from Maryland?
I am gay and I would have happily donated blood if it wasn't for this policy. I don't think there are any facts which backup this outdated policy.
I don't understand why they don't accept the blood of gay men :s-smilie: if it's screened anyway.

Also, it's not like they could prove that you are gay so I guess you could donate anyway :p:
Reply 68
Norfolkadam
I am gay and I would have happily donated blood if it wasn't for this policy. I don't think there are any facts which backup this outdated policy.

Read the NBS statement which has been linked 3 times now.
Reply 69
Randomgirl - the HIV virus takes 3 months to show up in a test or something, so screening it (if person has got HIV recently) won't show up.
Reply 70
randomgirl
I don't understand why they don't accept the blood of gay men :s-smilie: if it's screened anyway.

Also, it's not like they could prove that you are gay so I guess you could donate anyway :p:

That would be very dangerous as the virus takes up to three months to show in screenings and so if a person gives blood (of which gay men are more are risk) and has the virus, and the virus has not formed correctly it cannot show on tests so will infect the receiver. BUT this could also happen to straight people...
Prudy
Read the NBS statement which has been linked 3 times now.

Ok, I missed that and maybe there is a vein of truth in it. I still don't see that the risk is that great compared to anything else.

Do you think they would accept blood from an active homosexual who has had a HIV and Hep B test done?
Reply 72
Ok, you can call me blunt, homophobic, shallow whatnot, but I'd rather not recieve blood from a homo if I ever needed it. The idea doesnt interest me.
Reply 73
Norfolkadam
Ok, I missed that and maybe there is a vein of truth in it. I still don't see that the risk is that great compared to anything else.

Do you think they would accept blood from an active homosexual who has had a HIV and Hep B test done?

No
Reply 74
I can't give blood. I'm not gay but I've slept with people who are bi and who have injected drugs. I'm clean test-wise but apparently you can't at all.

Saying that my BF was bi for years and has injected drugs...he's type o negative though so they say its cool for him as he's been tested.

Eurgh.

I don't know, I don't mind too much, though I would like to help others...hardest part is avoiding my mother when they have blood drives close by.
Reply 75
gyrase
Ok, you can call me blunt, homophobic, shallow whatnot, but I'd rather not recieve blood from a homo if I ever needed it. The idea doesnt interest me.

What do you mean the idea doesn't interest you?
Prudy
No

Really I just think you have the weight up the minor risk of a slightly higher risk of infection to a larger number of people giving blood. Like I said I would love to give blood but I can't and I'm not the only gay man out there with the same thoughts.
Titch89
Do you realise how stupid (and possibly dangerous) that would be?

not dangerous at all if they know for sure that they're hiv free?
L i b
Well, if you've knowingly got HIV, it would be a criminal offence already to have sex with someone who wasn't aware of that.

The law is murky in this area.
if you are deceptive in your discosure of status then that's criminal. (if you LIE)
But it's still partly the responsibility of the person you're ****ing to ask you to use a condom.
If you suggest using one, and they say they dont want you to - then you're not criminally responsible, and you don't have to tell them that they "Should because you're positive"

It's very difficult to convict on this basis.
Reply 79
death.drop
not dangerous at all if they know for sure that they're hiv free?

The blood bank doesn't know that though, do they?

Latest

Trending

Trending