The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Accommodation - NO WIFI?

I so was looking for my accommodation the other day and saw that there's no WIFI in some of the halls(0 human decency). I'm aware that there's this Eduroam thing but apparently it doesn't cover some halls of residence such as Manchester Gardens. How am I supposed to survive without Wifi?? Do you have you get your own broadband for these halls or what?
Also I heard that ethernet connection is available, how long does the ethernet cable have to be to reach all the way to the router??

Thank you very much.
My halls were Ethernet connection only. We didn’t have a router in the flat. I just had an Ethernet port/socket by the desk in my room. So the cables usually provided with a router were more than long enough.

I bought an extension cable because I wanted to use my laptop in bed more than at my desk.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by chenyy18
I so was looking for my accommodation the other day and saw that there's no WIFI in some of the halls(0 human decency). I'm aware that there's this Eduroam thing but apparently it doesn't cover some halls of residence such as Manchester Gardens. How am I supposed to survive without Wifi?? Do you have you get your own broadband for these halls or what?
Also I heard that ethernet connection is available, how long does the ethernet cable have to be to reach all the way to the router??

Thank you very much.

If there's ethernet available then you'll need to either plug the ethernet directly in, or a better solution, would be to get some kind of adapter or router that would then provide you with Wi-Fi.
Because if you've got ethernet only then tablets and mobile phones will be a struggle to connect up and using your data allowance on your SIM will be very easy...
Reply 3
Does that Ethernet socket give you direct access to the internet? Do you normally use your data on your phone then? Thanks!
Original post by sophia5892
My halls were Ethernet connection only. We didn’t have a router in the flat. I just had an Ethernet port/socket by the desk in my room. So the cables usually provided with a router were more than long enough.

I bought an extension cable because I wanted to use my laptop in bed more than at my desk.
Reply 4
Ohh I see what they mean by no internet now. So the Ethernet socket is the only way to access the internet.

Thank you very much.
Ohh I see what they mean by no internet now. So the Ethernet socket is the only way to access the internet.

Yep, that is correct - you'd have to use the ethernet socket unless you bought an adapter or router that would convert the ethernet into wi-fi.
So if your device doesn't support Ethernet, or you have multiple devices that you want to connect up, there'll be a problem.
Does that Ethernet socket give you direct access to the internet? Do you normally use your data on your phone then? Thanks!

Yup it did.

This was back in the 2010-2011 academic year, before I had my first smartphone 😂
I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that having no Wifi in some of the halls as being '0 human decency'. Yes it is an inconvenience, but from what I remember when I was searching for accom, they do explicitly state this within their website (and even tell you what to do). So you do have a choice to choose these accom or not.

For subsequent years when you probably searching for private accom elsewhere, you can always find those that have Wifi included. But bear in mind too that if you look for houses (as opposed to apartments), some of them come without Wifi as well (and bills not included). So for those cases you would have to set them up yourself too.

Thank you very much.
Reply 8
Thanks for the info. I've misunderstood the phrase 'no wifi provided' and took it literally.
Original post by singzeon
I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that having no Wifi in some of the halls as being '0 human decency'. Yes it is an inconvenience, but from what I remember when I was searching for accom, they do explicitly state this within their website (and even tell you what to do). So you do have a choice to choose these accom or not.

For subsequent years when you probably searching for private accom elsewhere, you can always find those that have Wifi included. But bear in mind too that if you look for houses (as opposed to apartments), some of them come without Wifi as well (and bills not included). So for those cases you would have to set them up yourself too.
Hi

Thank you for your post- as you state there is no WIFI provided in Weston Hall or in Manchester Gardens (as explicitly stated on our website.) This is not the same as there being no internet access though. As another student commented above, we do provide ethernet cables in all of our halls of residence.

Of the halls that you highlight, Manchester Gardens is not available for next academic year and the reason that WIFI is not available in these halls is because they are both private halls of residences managed by private companies and not the University.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Helen

Thanks for the info. I've misunderstood the phrase 'no wifi provided' and took it literally.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending