The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Beton house

Hello. My daughter has been asked if she wants to stay at Beton next year. Slightly better rates if she commits now.

I've read somewhere about maybe not signing up until you're more settled and sure you're staying on.

Any thoughts welcome.

Tia
Original post by TomCel
Hello. My daughter has been asked if she wants to stay at Beton next year. Slightly better rates if she commits now.

I've read somewhere about maybe not signing up until you're more settled and sure you're staying on.

Any thoughts welcome.

Tia

Hey there @TomCel !

I stayed at Beton House in my first year of university and can give you good insight into what it's like living there. Pro's I would say is that the team were really friendly, they were great with handling parcels and security was always on sight to help out and keep things safe. Maintenance requests were always answered quickly and listened to with quick fixes often the same day if not next day. The flats themselves are great sizes with lots of plug sockets and top-quality kitchen units. The sockets have USB slots and the wifi was very quick.

Cons of this accommodation I would say are that you're only allowed 5 devices on the wifi. This may be alright for some people but for me I had a phone, an iPad, a laptop, a TV and an xBox so when people came to visit they physically couldn't get on the wifi. I do a creative degree so needed all these devices on the wifi. Another con I would say is the location. Although it's the closest accommodation to the train station and it's quite close to campus, you have to walk up a massive steep hill to get to it. This is a nightmare in the winter because they don't grit it and it's really difficult to get anywhere. It's also a nightmare carrying your suitcase back up it after visiting home. There isn't a supermarket within a 10 minute walk so you'll also have to lug your shopping back up that hill. This was a big factor for me as to why I decided not to rebook for second year. The hobs are induction hobs which wasn't mentioned to me until I moved in so we had to buy all new pans because the ones we had didn't work on them. The water pressure and temperature of the shower was a bit odd at times as well. I found it difficult to make friends in this accommodation, it isn't very social.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @TomCel !

I stayed at Beton House in my first year of university and can give you good insight into what it's like living there. Pro's I would say is that the team were really friendly, they were great with handling parcels and security was always on sight to help out and keep things safe. Maintenance requests were always answered quickly and listened to with quick fixes often the same day if not next day. The flats themselves are great sizes with lots of plug sockets and top-quality kitchen units. The sockets have USB slots and the wifi was very quick.

Cons of this accommodation I would say are that you're only allowed 5 devices on the wifi. This may be alright for some people but for me I had a phone, an iPad, a laptop, a TV and an xBox so when people came to visit they physically couldn't get on the wifi. I do a creative degree so needed all these devices on the wifi. Another con I would say is the location. Although it's the closest accommodation to the train station and it's quite close to campus, you have to walk up a massive steep hill to get to it. This is a nightmare in the winter because they don't grit it and it's really difficult to get anywhere. It's also a nightmare carrying your suitcase back up it after visiting home. There isn't a supermarket within a 10 minute walk so you'll also have to lug your shopping back up that hill. This was a big factor for me as to why I decided not to rebook for second year. The hobs are induction hobs which wasn't mentioned to me until I moved in so we had to buy all new pans because the ones we had didn't work on them. The water pressure and temperature of the shower was a bit odd at times as well. I found it difficult to make friends in this accommodation, it isn't very social.

Hope this helped!

Awwww thanks for taking the time to reply Lucy. Very helpful.

My daughter is actually there already, 2 months in and enjoying it.

She's just been asked to sign up for next year, so her friends and her are considering their options. I thought it was a little too soon to decide and read somewhere not to commit.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks 😊
Original post by TomCel
Awwww thanks for taking the time to reply Lucy. Very helpful.

My daughter is actually there already, 2 months in and enjoying it.

She's just been asked to sign up for next year, so her friends and her are considering their options. I thought it was a little too soon to decide and read somewhere not to commit.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks 😊

Hey there @TomCel

It completely depends to be honest. Have you asked her whether she's fully enjoying her course? If you have no worries about her potentially dropping out and she'd be happy to rebook then I'd definitely recommend it because they'll give you a good cashback code for the following year. It depends what they think about the position they're in at the moment. Do they want to go out and meet more people? If so, living in a student area rather than an accommodation may be a good thing for them to try next year. You may also find it's a lot cheaper living in a student house than an accommodation. It depends really, if your daughter is happy at Beton House then there's no reason to change but if she wants to go out and experience new things and meet new people her age then it may be a good idea to venture out and live somewhere else like Ecclesall Road area maybe.

Hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending