The Student Room Group

I'm a Chemistry Research Intern - AMA!

Scroll to see replies

Do you use the same books for those topics throughout all the years at university, or is it a new one for each year?

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Chemistry^3 - (there are a zillion authors...)
Organic Chemistry - Clayden
Inorganic Chemistry - Housecroft and Sharpe
Elements of Physical Chemistry - Atkins

My uni did a bundle for these plus a Lab skills book which was quite good
Books are often very much accessible at the Library though

For my optional module on aquatic chemistry I also got myself a second hand book about Aquatic Chemistry and the Environment :smile:
Original post by shadowdweller
How did you find your placement? What advice would you give to someone considering one?

I found my placement after it was advertised as an email from one of my module coordinators
I had to sort it myself by approaching some professors to supervise me do the project but the actual acquisition of it was from my coordinatoon the chemistry secretary and the analytical trust fund people as they had to approve it :hide:

advice: be proactive, don't give up and update your CV regularly
utilise your departments connections and career service
check with lecturers to see if they will take you as a summer project student over the summer if you are interested in their research area!
do you have to know about atoms & stuff ?

:holmes:
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
Do you use the same books for those topics throughout all the years at university, or is it a new one for each year?

throughout my years of study so far I've been looking at them regularly for help haha :tongue:
they're really great for exam revision and complex tutorial questions :ninja:
Original post by the bear
do you have to know about atoms & stuff ?

:holmes:

nah none of that stuff matters
throughout my years of study so far I've been looking at them regularly for help haha :tongue:
they're really great for exam revision and complex tutorial questions :ninja:

cool

How much maths is there, do you do pure maths, and statistics and mechanics, or is is just pure maths? And do you do topics from A level further maths and beyond?
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
cool

How much maths is there, do you do pure maths, and statistics and mechanics, or is is just pure maths? And do you do topics from A level further maths and beyond?

so it may depend on university
but for me, I did a level maths and had no problem

1st year - integration, differentiation, matrices
2nd year - more complex integration, introduction of complex numbers and log work. we also did some work on operators and vectors (we had a quantum mechanics module)

I didn't do further maths but found learning complex numbers etc interesting and simple and I have really enjoyed the maths aspect of chemistry this year.

can't comment on further years yet but note there is lots of maths support. in first year we had maths lectures. in second year we had workshops to support new math content

:fyi: at a level I did mechanics 1 and decision 1 modules :youbetcha:
Congrats Cheese!! :woo: How is the chem uni life currently? :biggrin:
Original post by Professor L
Congrats Cheese!! :woo: How is the chem uni life currently? :biggrin:

omg hello! :penguinhug: Long time no chat! Thanks :smile:
Chem uni life is good! I just got a first in my 2nd year so super happy about that!
Will be starting my 3rd year where I'll be doing a research project along some awesome 2nd semester modules I picked myself!
How are you doing? :jumphug: How is your Uni studying going? We need a catchup!
omg hello! :penguinhug: Long time no chat! Thanks :smile:
Chem uni life is good! I just got a first in my 2nd year so super happy about that!
Will be starting my 3rd year where I'll be doing a research project along some awesome 2nd semester modules I picked myself!
How are you doing? :jumphug: How is your Uni studying going? We need a catchup!

That's really good :biggrin: I'm good, uni's good, on a year abroad in ETH, currently doing an intensive German course, tiring work, gotta do so much stuff registering for things, THEN I'll actually start 4th year :juggle: Looking forward to it though :smile:
Original post by tbofig
Hi, I’m about to start an MBiochem degree at York, I was wondering if you could give some tips on how to secure a good internship? I’m looking to do a year in industry so this would be helpful, thanks! :smile:

Hi @tbofig,

Apologies for the slow response on this, but hopefully one worth waiting for!

Firstly, we have our internship and placement jobs board. it is relatively quiet on there now, but typically fills up around October.

Secondly, we recently held a webinar about securing your year in industry placement.

Finally, attending Royal Society of Chemistry local section events can be a great way of meeting members informally who may be able to offer year in industries, that might not be advertised through normal routes.

Hope this is useful.

All the best,

Gareth
Royal Society of Chemistry
Reply 51
Original post by Royal Society of Chemistry
Hi @tbofig,

Apologies for the slow response on this, but hopefully one worth waiting for!

Firstly, we have our internship and placement jobs board. it is relatively quiet on there now, but typically fills up around October.

Secondly, we recently held a webinar about securing your year in industry placement.

Finally, attending Royal Society of Chemistry local section events can be a great way of meeting members informally who may be able to offer year in industries, that might not be advertised through normal routes.

Hope this is useful.

All the best,

Gareth
Royal Society of Chemistry

Hi, this is great! Thanks
Hi,
I am currently taking a gap year and resitting one of my A Levels and reapply to study Chemistry, as I missed my offer. I'm looking for jobs and internships in chemistry which can help me to gain experience to add to my personal statement. I had some questions:

1. Are there any jobs which are in admin or an assistant job in a chemical environment, as I don't have any experience/qualifications except some work experience and Chemistry A Level. I am happy to just wash equipment/answers phone calls as it is all exposure.
2. From your experience, where is the best place to find internships at a post A Level level?

Thank you!
Original post by maryam.shaikh
Hi,
I am currently taking a gap year and resitting one of my A Levels and reapply to study Chemistry, as I missed my offer. I'm looking for jobs and internships in chemistry which can help me to gain experience to add to my personal statement. I had some questions:

1. Are there any jobs which are in admin or an assistant job in a chemical environment, as I don't have any experience/qualifications except some work experience and Chemistry A Level. I am happy to just wash equipment/answers phone calls as it is all exposure.
2. From your experience, where is the best place to find internships at a post A Level level?

Thank you!

Hi :hi:
All the best for the year ahead :woo:

1 - not that I know of
2 - big companies sometimes do short placements for A level students to get experience
there is also the Nuffield research placement scheme
and the Analyst Competition run by the RSC which is a school-wide competition :borat:
Original post by maryam.shaikh
Hi,

Thank you!

For number 2, the EDT does the year in industry programme, and some of the placements accept people pre-university :smile:
https://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry
Original post by Labrador99
For number 2, the EDT does the year in industry programme, and some of the placements accept people pre-university :smile:
https://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry

thanks so much for your replies!! ill look into those schemes :smile:
Hi there, im studying Access to Science and for Chemistry, we need to do our own Research in Chemistry and it has to be at higher level, have you got any ideas what i could do my experiment on? Preferably an easy one thats higher level lol 🙈 and any examples of a protocol, really stuck here and i feel stupid i have passed an idea onto my lecturer of finding out the acid concentration in fizzy drinks and checking the pH but i do not know if this is at higher level and shes asking for a protocol 🤷🙈 im stupid i know but if you could help that will be great! Thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 57
What type of chemistry equipment or machinery have you been using? Have you used a mass spectrometer, an NMR spectrometer or an infrared spectrometer? What type of chemicals have you used and what safety precautions did you use? Have you made any beautifully coloured compounds? :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Deggs_14
What type of chemistry equipment or machinery have you been using? Have you used a mass spectrometer, an NMR spectrometer or an infrared spectrometer? What type of chemicals have you used and what safety precautions did you use? Have you made any beautifully coloured compounds? Have you used a Büchner funnel?

Hi there,
Thsnk you so much for your reply, we have not really used alot and have never used any spectrometer at all yet...what we have done so far is...found out the concentration of iodide ions on the ror between hydrogen peroxide and an acidfied solution of potassium iodide and found out the effect of temperature changes on reaction rate between oxalic acid and an acidified solution of potassium permangante.
Original post by SarahLou85
Hi there,
Thsnk you so much for your reply, we have not really used alot and have never used any spectrometer at all yet...what we have done so far is...found out the concentration of iodide ions on the ror between hydrogen peroxide and an acidfied solution of potassium iodide and found out the effect of temperature changes on reaction rate between oxalic acid and an acidified solution of potassium permangante.

Hiya! am not sure what is involved with higher level chemistry so am not sure how much help I'm gonna be
@Labrador99 may be able to provide more insight!
a good starting point is looking on the royal society of chemistry website
checking any practical chemistry youve done before
any topics you have particularly enjoyed or any ideas you may have
what equipment do you have access to etc.
all the best,
cheese :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending