The Student Room Group

Applying for a Chemical Engineering degree with no Physics A-level : Good move?

For a long time now, I've been debating what I want to major in. I've juggled between biochemistry and chemistry itself, but then I heard that chemical engineering is the safest way to go with more opportunities. I've checked the university requirements for many institutions, and none of them (that I've checked so far) seem to require physics; they just need chemistry. My A-levels are in Biology, Chemistry, and Maths. Will this hinder me when I apply? I'm aiming to apply to highly ranked schools, as my AS-level results were quite good. I'm also an international student so I'm already disadvantaged in that aspect.
If a university believes a subject is necessary they would say so. If they dont they wont hold it against you. As far as being international it wont count against you. The key subject for Engineering is Maths.
Original post by swanseajack1
If a university believes a subject is necessary they would say so. If they dont they wont hold it against you. As far as being international it wont count against you. The key subject for Engineering is Maths.

Thanks for the reply! As for international admissions, I do feel that in some ways universities prioritize local students when allocating places, which is their right. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 3
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
Thanks for the reply! As for international admissions, I do feel that in some ways universities prioritize local students when allocating places, which is their right. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's not really the case, especially since they'd be getting more money from international students than from home students.

Probably the reverse is true. Overseas students pay far higher fees so they lean towards them. Universities have high rates of overseas students.
It varies between universities but here is LSEs rate
LSE accepts students from over 150 nations of the world making it a university with a global atmosphere and culture. About 60% of the total number of students are overseas students.
Original post by swanseajack1
Probably the reverse is true. Overseas students pay far higher fees so they lean towards them. Universities have high rates of overseas students.

Okay, yeah that logic makes sense. I've only thought this way because of people I know applying to UK unis then getting rejected saying it's because they are international students. I know someone who got 4 A* then got rejected from every single UK uni he applied to. Perhaps it's bad luck.
For a long time now, I've been debating what I want to major in. I've juggled between biochemistry and chemistry itself, but then I heard that chemical engineering is the safest way to go with more opportunities. I've checked the university requirements for many institutions, and none of them (that I've checked so far) seem to require physics; they just need chemistry. My A-levels are in Biology, Chemistry, and Maths. Will this hinder me when I apply? I'm aiming to apply to highly ranked schools, as my AS-level results were quite good. I'm also an international student so I'm already disadvantaged in that aspect.

I did the same A-Levels and I'm coping with the course just fine. Same with loads of other people who didn't take Chemistry. If it's not a requirement by the Uni then any knowledge you need will be covered on the course.
As someone above me said, Maths is the most important thing for any Engineering course. In fact, we barely even do any Chemistry.
Original post by briteeshbro
I did the same A-Levels and I'm coping with the course just fine. Same with loads of other people who didn't take Chemistry. If it's not a requirement by the Uni then any knowledge you need will be covered on the course.
As someone above me said, Maths is the most important thing for any Engineering course. In fact, we barely even do any Chemistry.

Thanks for the input! I think I will continue to research as many majors as I can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending